Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats next?

scroadkill

Hey all - I could use some help here.. 30-40 matches completed since I started in USPSA in November, limited minor,  sitting classified at 59.5% in limited.
mentally for the last 10 matches I've been really working on stage planning and executing that plan - keeping it simple.
gun handling Im very happy with my set up. it hits what I aim at if I take time to get a sight picture. Ive been working on the second shot of the pair.. seeing the sight before pulling the trigger.

looking back at my past scores (most recent first):
%ALPHA / #MIKES /  #NO SHOOT
---------------------------------------------------------
72 / 1 / 0 - LIMITED
83 / 1 / 0 - CARRY OPTIC (SEPT 1 2017)
72 / 1 / 0 - LIMITED
55 / 3 / 1 - LIMITED
63 / 2 / 0 - LIMITED
56 / 6 / 0 - LIMITED
61 / 1 / 0 - LIMITED (AUG 1 2017)
72 / 0 / 0 - LIMITED
72 / 4 / 0 - LIMITED
70 / 3 / 0 - LIMITED
74 / 1 / 2 - CARRY OPTIC
85 / 0 / 0 - CARRY OPTIC
85 / 5 / 0 - CARRY OPTICS (2 FTE) (JULY 1 2017)
58 / 4 / 1 - CARRY OPTIC (FIRST CO MATCH)
63 / 9 / 0 - LIMITED
44 / 6 / 0 - LIMITED (JUNE 12, 2017)
74 / 7 / 0 - LIMITED
69 / 2 / 2 - LIMITED
75 / 3 / 0 - LIMITED
45 / 2 / 0 - LIMITED (MAY 1 2017)
-----------------------------------------------
I've been working on shooting "my game" - and looking back at the numbers "my game" in the level 1 matches seems like 72-75% ALPHAS, maybe 1 MIKE, and place around the top 1/3 mark in limited in the local club matches. 

I want to shave 10%-20% off my time while keeping my %ALPHAS / #MIKES / # No SHOOTS the same or better.
I'm thinking drills focused on foot speed, entering and existing shooting positions, entering and existing on targets... or some mystical advanced course in stage planning that I can keep straight once the buzzer goes off. 
suggestions welcome

It appears that your accuracy is good.  It is hard to tell from numbers alone about your overall mechanics.  Reloads are a big part of doing well on classifiers if you are looking to move up.  That first shot from the draw will also be important.   Entering and exiting shooting positions, or being able to shoot while moving are things that will improve your stage time, most important is knowing which to do and when during a stage.  Take lots of mental notes from the best shooters you get to squad with.  Try squadding with a gm that is willing to critique you shooting s stage and work on that advice.  Read Steve Anderson.  Remember that smooth is fast, not jerky speed. 

3 hours ago, scroadkill said:

Hey all - I could use some help here.. 30-40 matches completed since I started in USPSA in November, limited minor,  sitting classified at 59.5% in limited.
mentally for the last 10 matches I've been really working on stage planning and executing that plan - keeping it simple.
gun handling Im very happy with my set up. it hits what I aim at if I take time to get a sight picture. Ive been working on the second shot of the pair.. seeing the sight before pulling the trigger.

I've been working on shooting "my game" - and looking back at the numbers "my game" in the level 1 matches seems like 72-75% ALPHAS, maybe 1 MIKE, and place around the top 1/3 mark in limited in the local club matches. 

I want to shave 10%-20% off my time while keeping my %ALPHAS / #MIKES / # No SHOOTS the same or better.
I'm thinking drills focused on foot speed, entering and existing shooting positions, entering and existing on targets... or some mystical advanced course in stage planning that I can keep straight once the buzzer goes off. 
suggestions welcome

You have probably already heard this, but you're putting yourself at a disadvantage shooting minor in limited.  72-75% alphas is respectable, but you're losing points with B/C/Ds compared to the other limited shooters, who are probably shooting major.   

You are on the right track in that the best way to reduce your stage times is to reduce the time it takes you to do the non-value added actions. IMO these are (ranked most to least important)

1.  Programming your stage plan (sounds like you're not confident with this...)

Not sure what you're current method is, but i suggest:  keep it simple and rehears it in your head over and over and over while you wait to shoot.  You should be able to close your eyes and "see" the stage/targets in your mind.  Maybe do some memory/brain games.

2.  Target Transitions (Blake Drill)

3.  RUNNING to the next position

4.  Utilizing easy entrances/exits

5.  Draw

6.  Reload

Edited by uewpew

5 hours ago, uewpew said:

I can play the add 1 for b c d's and figure how I would have done w/ a 40 assuming I can shoot it like my 9 .. this generally bumps me a few places - but Ide like to work on a few other things before switching guns.. hell, I just got used to the one Im running.
reloads are fine - I usually find a good place for them  between positions.  draws are 1.3-1.5 - i work on this, but it isn't much.

points 2,3,4 are what im thinking i need to work on.

You have to hit the targets to score points.  

If you struggle with mikes then you need to train to be able to make the shots first.  

Minor scoring is not a concern at this point, in fact, I'd say it is beneficial to force you to shoot more alphas.

You only draw once per stage.  That's not where the time savings will come from.  The time will be found in movement between positions, correct positioning (minimizing foot shuffle/hunting for targets), and transitions.  

The nature of hit factor scoring is such that, from the beep to the last shot, your HF is always variable.  You are either increasing or decreasing your hit factor.  Any time you are not actively scoring points, your HF is dropping.  Thus, it follows that any time you are actively firing shots, they need to be maximizing potential points (alphas) and any time you are not actively firing shots, you need to be moving to the next position and performing other tasks (reloading, etc.) in the most efficient manner possible.  

On 9/25/2017 at 12:05 PM, wtturn said:

Mikes were a problem but I got new RX glasses focused at 25 inches and finally adjusted to them. and smoothed out my trigger. My rapid double taps still need work, but If I slow enough to see the sights i'm hitting what I see  - maybe 1 mike/match usually on the classifier on weak hand (but that's another story) and these are usually < 1" in the hard cover on a partial.

now on to movement..  I have a B+ class limited shooter that helps coach me and I'm steady gaining on him. last night on 3 stages it was like 81 seconds  to 79.5 seconds overall.  I'm thinking live fire footwork drills. 

16 hours ago, scroadkill said:

Mikes were a problem but I got new RX glasses focused at 25 inches and finally adjusted to them. and smoothed out my trigger. My rapid double taps still need work, but If I slow enough to see the sights i'm hitting what I see  - maybe 1 mike/match usually on the classifier on weak hand (but that's another story) and these are usually < 1" in the hard cover on a partial.

now on to movement..  I have a B+ class limited shooter that helps coach me and I'm steady gaining on him. last night on 3 stages it was like 81 seconds  to 79.5 seconds overall.  I'm thinking live fire footwork drills. 

I suggest you divest yourself of the concept of "double taps".  

Every shot fired is separate and distinct, with its own acceptable sight picture.

It may be helpful to think in terms of percentage of total points shot rather than counting mikes and deltas, which doesn't always tell the whole story.  Your goal typically should be 90% + or else you are dropping too many points.

On 9/28/2017 at 12:16 PM, perttime said:

90% of possible points?

Shooting Minor, that would be something like 80% A, no Mikes, very rarely a D.

Note that @wtturn is a solid production GM who just won the state match over here in TN. Might be worth listening to.

Edited by MemphisMechanic