Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 3 months later...

SMM3G - Short update with some important match information.

Our stage designs are nearing completion. So, we wanted to provide you with some planning information, so you can begin to get your match gear/supplies ready.

For this year’s match, you will need a sling. But Only a Rifle sling will be required.

Here is the PROVISIONAL estimated round count:

Rifle (short range): 131
Rifle (long range): 43
Pistol: 141
Shotgun (bird ≤#6): 122
Shotgun (buck per 3.3.2): 8
Shotgun (slug): 6

The squading process will not begin until early February.  In the past, my squading system has received good success and relatively few complaints. For those of you new to the match, the next email will explain the process in detail.

This year we will utilize a Hybrid squading schedule. This will require all main match shooters to shoot the first day, however it will allow for a half day format the second day. 

The match is completely sold out. Bad news for those on the wait-list as it appears that there will not be any spots left to accommodate any additional entries.

SMM3G WAITLIST UPDATE

I have been holding off on a wait-list update in the hopes that I would have some good news. Unfortunately, that is not the case. There has not been any movement on the wait-list. No shooters have dropped off the list and nobody has opted out of the match.

At this point it does not look very good for anybody standing by on the wait-list.

In order to get all the inventory that makes up our world famous prize table, our match allows sponsoring companies to send their team shooters to our match. So far, not all the sponsors have used their allocated spots so there are only those few spots that may be available. The sponsored shooters have until February 1st to let us know. After February 1st, there may be some openings but we wont know until then. The best case is only a few may make it in the match. 

We currently have about 80 folks on the wait-list. If you no longer intend to shoot the match, please either withdraw from the match or let us know and we will remove you.

I am very sorry that we cannot accommodate all the shooters that wish to shoot the match. We are always looking for ways to expand the amount of shooters that can shoot the match and hopefully you will get a chance to shoot our match again in a future year.

I will send one final WAIT-LIST update in early February after the final match counts are in.

Sorry for the bad news.

2018 - SMM3GUN MATCH UPDATES

If you are registered in the 2018 match, and you did not receive the above match updates sent directly to the email that you registered with, please check your junk email settings first.

Then contact me at  RUSS.SMM3GUN@GMAIL.COM and I will try to help you resolve the issue. This will ensue that you receive the remaining match updates in a timely manner.

• 1 month later...

Is there a local gun shot in the Mesa/Phoenix area that people know would sell low recoil buckshot and slings? Some people may have already set of for that match and left some things behind...

Big thank you to all the sponsors who contributed to the match.  The prize table was very deep by the looks of it and heard many complements from shooters. 

Thank you to all the wonderful shooters, positive attitudes and great re-setters.

Hope everyone had a good time, and we will see you next year.

I was on squad 13...great bunch of guys. Have not picked up anything in 2 years ( life issues) my wife urged me to go shoot and get out of her hair (if we were younger we would 2 more kids). Glad I did...very good match with great people.

Great match!  Great sponsors!!!

Big "thank you!" to the hard working ROs and Staff.  Stages were fun and didn't require much of 'bug hunting' expeditions.

The chamber flagging after the last shot fired could use some 'tweaking' to minimize wasted time per shooter - It went like this:

1) If the shooter is finished, unload and show clear -  Ok, this is normal.

2) Bolt forward - ???Why???

3) Hammer down - ???Why???

4) Pull the bolt back to insert flag.

Seemed to me the 'bolt forward' +  'hammer down' steps were left over from clearing a pistol.  No need to do these steps with shotguns and carbines since the moment you pull the carrier/bolt back enough to insert chamber flag, hammer would be recocked anyway.  And so what if the hammer is cocked when the bolt is locked back, just insert the flag and move on.  We timed this in our squad and it took a minimum of 10 seconds to complete after the 'unload and show clear' command when the flag was already in the RO's hand, otherwise the shooter stood there fishing around in his pocket for it.

I agree it was a bit coumbersome, but R/O’s did a hellava job....being patient and helping you out. Once you are messing with three guns at a time..carrying them etc. Things are more complicated.

9 hours ago, PacMan said:

...The chamber flagging after the last shot fired could use some 'tweaking' to minimize wasted time per shooter...

I don't disagree. After the first day, the RM sent out an email to each CRO with guidance on "best practice" with respect to chamber flags. Saturday seemed to go noticeably smoother.

We only made chamber flags mandatory at the  beginning of this year. We did so to align with USPSA (we adopted their protocol verbatim); with the growth of USPSA PCC Division at our club, we wanted to ensure consistency of long gun handling across all the matches we run. We did get the same push back from our local 3-gunners at first, but they are getting used to it (maybe "resigned" is a better word).

Thanks for hanging in there with us on this issue :)

Edited by StealthyBlagga

2 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I don't disagree...

Thanks for hanging in there with us on this issue :)

Minor issue as long as the RO hangs onto the chamber flag.

Now I can get EM going again by bringing up the 1/2 day format...No, let's not :) 

Oh yeah! The flagging really sent the R.O.s into uncharted territory! Having shot a lot over seas where flagging is well coreographed, it sure was painful to watch the R.O.s try to deal with this. I watched an unload and show clear last 3.25 minutes while the shooter and R.O. checked their pockets to see where the flag might have ended up....yes I timed it!!! I hate flags, BUT if you are going to use them have a system in place....and YES!!! Saturday was better!!

On another note the 1/2 day format killed my knees. They both swelled up like footballs because there was no time to sit down and rest, nor load magazines, take care of gear etc. Works great for a 1/3 gun match, but for 3-gun it sucks on ice!!

Best  Smm3-G in a few years and the stages were GREAT! I had a blast and was fortunate to also shoot on lucky 13

On 3/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, kurtm said:

R.O.s remove the flag as you work the action, they hold on to it while shooting, and they insert it after the unload and show clear while you lower the bolt. 

This was a great suggestion - saved a lot of time once we started doing it consistently.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:40 AM, PacMan said:

Great match!  Great sponsors!!!

Big "thank you!" to the hard working ROs and Staff.  Stages were fun and didn't require much of 'bug hunting' expeditions.

The chamber flagging after the last shot fired could use some 'tweaking' to minimize wasted time per shooter - It went like this:

1) If the shooter is finished, unload and show clear -  Ok, this is normal.

2) Bolt forward - ???Why???

3) Hammer down - ???Why???

4) Pull the bolt back to insert flag.

Seemed to me the 'bolt forward' +  'hammer down' steps were left over from clearing a pistol.  No need to do these steps with shotguns and carbines since the moment you pull the carrier/bolt back enough to insert chamber flag, hammer would be recocked anyway.  And so what if the hammer is cocked when the bolt is locked back, just insert the flag and move on.  We timed this in our squad and it took a minimum of 10 seconds to complete after the 'unload and show clear' command when the flag was already in the RO's hand, otherwise the shooter stood there fishing around in his pocket for it.

The reasoning behind "hammer down" is because not all of the 'chamber' flags used actually insert into the chamber.  If one of the delrin block type flags that are just inserted into the action are used to hold the bolt out of battery it is possible to still have a round in the chamber.