Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

July 2005

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, fomeister wins this month with four correct.

Just a tip for you guys in the future. Avoid the "kinda-sorta or something like that" answers, or someone else is going to jump all over it.

Obviously the quotes this month were too easy. I just need to come up with harder ones next month. Heh. Heh. B)

Thank you Duane, and thank you Brian. These really are fun. The first two I got right (Ferris Bueller & Reservoir Dogs) were movies I really liked from the beginning, and have seen dozens of times.

5. "John, I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you, John, and I did, and I don't know why I did. I wish I could take it all back."

"No. No, Emma. You didn't do it. This affair of yours, whatever it is that you think you're supposed to have done, you didn't do it. I don't believe it ever happened."

"What do you mean?"

"I know this is gonna sound crazy. But what if we never knew each other before now? What if the first time we ever met was last night in your - in our apartment? And everything you remember, and everything that I'm supposed to remember never really happened? Someone just wants us to think it did."

Ah-Nold, in "Total Recall".

The Mars Movie

(Am I too late, and too little, again? Damn! I hate that!)

BTW, here's the answer key for this month's contest:

1. "Survival kit contents check: 'In them you will find one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of phophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.' Shoot, a feller could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

- Slim Pickens, Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, 1964.

2. "It's not that I condone fascism. Or any ism, for that matter. Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person shouldn't believe in an ism. He should believe in himself."

- Matthew Broderick, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986.

3. "You're so ambitious, aren't you? You know what you look like to me with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well-scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you?"

- Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs, 1991.

4. "You ever listen to K-Billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies? It's my personal favorite."

- Michael Madsen, Reservoir Dogs, 1992.

5. "John, I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you, John, and I did, and I don't know why I did. I wish I could take it all back."

"No. No, Emma. You didn't do it. This affair of yours, whatever it is that you think you're supposed to have done, you didn't do it. I don't believe it ever happened."

"What do you mean?"

"I know this is gonna sound crazy. But what if we never knew each other before now? What if the first time we ever met was last night in your - in our apartment? And everything you remember, and everything that I'm supposed to remember never really happened? Someone just wants us to think it did."

Jennifer Connelly & Rufus Sewell, Dark City, 1998.

6. "'Ten Ways to Light His Fire.' For Pete's sake. 'Ten Ways to Light His Fire.' You know how a woman gets a man excited? She shows up. That's it. We're guys. We're easy."

Harrison Ford, Six Days, Seven Nights, 1998.

7. "I have to go away today, but I wondered if I didn't, whether you might let me see you a little, or...a lot, maybe. See if you could like me again."

- Julia Roberts, Notting Hill, 1999.

8. "Now, the question on the table is how drunk is drunk enough. And the answer is that it's all a matter of brain cells...You see, every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. But that doesn't much matter, 'cause we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die, so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go, so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. But that's okay, because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally....come the memory cells. These are tough sons of bitches to kill."

Matt Damon, The Legend of Bagger Vance, 2000.

9. "Sir, I'm a noncombatant, sir."

"Ain't no such thing today, boy."

- Barry Pepper & Sam Elliott, We Were Soldiers, 2002.

10. "You know why the man stuff seemed so real? Because I'm pretending. You see a man through the mirror of a woman through the mirror of a man. You take one of those reflecting glasses away, it doesn't work. The man only works because you see him in contrast to the woman he is. If you saw him without the her he lives inside, he wouldn't seem a man at all."

- Billy Crudup, Stage Beauty, 2004.