Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer 80 in carry optics?

Akkid17

I have been thinking about getting a Carry optics rig put together and since you can use a lot of the aftermarket slides and barrels that are out now for glock style parts would it be possible to use a polymer 80 frame? As long as it complies with the stippling/modification rules I would think it would be nice to have more options especially since the new 17 frame is borderline a timber wolf frame that doesn't have that irritating hump on the back. 

You gotta get past this:

"— A handgun may be approved specifically for Carry Optics division provided that the model of the pistol used is an approved Production Division model AND meets Carry Optics criteria. Any pistol that is not on the approved Production list, but meets Carry Optics criteria must submit a Manufacturers Declaration Form to DNROI stating that a minimum of 500 complete handguns have been manufactured and are available to the general public"

and this:

"— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION."

Only glock I can stand is the gen4 19 and not thrilled about using a compact for carry optics. The new P80 17/34 frame looked like it would be awesome for a non glock feeling CO gun. Guess I'll just have to wait and save up for a CZ of some sort 

Edited by Akkid17

The g19 doesn't have as pronounced of a hump, especially with the medium beaver tail back strap on it, which it why I can deal with it. And yes, if glock would put out a model that was basically an OEM version of the P80 frame with the MOS option on it I'd probably pick one up for carry optics. 

If I were to get an m&p I'd just pick up the 5" model since it's not the frame size that's the issue it's the shape. But I've had 3 m&p's over the years and unless they have been able to vastly improve the 9mm accuracy and the trigger I'll stick with the cz direction. 

On 9/23/2017 at 2:21 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

... and all this is why the M&P is a thing :D

If Glock could get over their own arrogant "Austrian Grip is Best Grip" thinking, these other polymer striker fired guns would be mere footnotes in history.

But perfection

:P

15 hours ago, Beef15 said:

Sight radius is irrelevant to CO

Mag limit is 140mm

Maybe an extra tenth of a grain to make minor.

What's the issue with the 19? If you have one anyway.

I don't have the mos version, and while sight radius is irrelevant grip length is not, I was wanting a full size frame and the reason the 19 isn't bothersome with the hump on the back strap is because it's shorter but a full size frame is preferred for competition. This was more just wishful thinking on easily attained parts and accessories

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 12:15 PM, Akkid17 said:

But I've had 3 m&p's over the years and unless they have been able to vastly improve the 9mm accuracy and the trigger I'll stick with the cz direction. 

I've not shot that many M&P's, but I know a few people who have that say the new 2.0 versions are what the original should have been.

• 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, Davidp1911 said:

Since P80 is now offering a serialized version now, it should qualify easliy for production/co since they're so popular and if they submit the paperwork. 

Key words being, "if they submit the paperwork".

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kokeman said:

I would think since they are selling serialized frames they could meet the 500 gun minimum.  I sent Poly 80 an email a while back asking them to summit paper work and never heard back. 

They are not a manufacturer,  they don't build guns, they are not on the production gun list.

An 80% lower is not a gun, how can they get it on the production gun list?

considering they're selling thousands of 80% frames, and now finished/serialized frames, and also considering that aftermarket slides are allowed, seems that the frames with aftermarket slides should be allowed in CO.

considering they're selling thousands of 80% frames, and now finished/serialized frames, and also considering that aftermarket slides are allowed, seems that the frames with aftermarket slides should be allowed in CO.
They don't legally manufacture the firearm, you do. Do you plan on making the required number of firearms available to the public?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I would think Appendix D4, Special Condition 3 would keep this off the approved list:

3. A handgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the handgun for compliance. 

I have troubles considering this a complete handgun manufactured and available to the public either for PD or CO.  (Wording in D7 is similar to D4 in this respect.)

Edited by Schutzenmeister
Add reference to D7.

11 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I would think Appendix D4, Special Condition 3 would keep this off the approved list:

3. A handgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the handgun for compliance. 

I have troubles considering this a complete handgun manufactured and available to the public either for PD or CO.  (Wording in D7 is similar to D4 in this respect.)

it is not a manufactured gun, it is an 80% frame kit.

The guy buys it, finishes it and now has a gun.

He has produced 1 gun, not 2,000.

This is what happens when the rules are relaxed, people want to keep going down the slippery slope.

In most matches no one would know, at Chrono for a bigger match, a chrono guy should catch it, welcome to Open Minor, shoot a lot of Alpha's.