Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unload and show clear dq

IHAVEGAS

On 9/21/2017 at 1:33 PM, Sarge said:

Oh. I always strip my belt clean, clean mags if needed, reload everything, THEN get back to helping with the stage. I then check every mag again before my next run. If you are not in that habit then by all means carry on. Half empty mags won't work! ?

You unload all mags between stages? If true that a lot of loading and unloading while trying to pay attention to the stage and trying to help out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, flamatrix99 said:

You unload all mags between stages? If true that a lot of loading and unloading while trying to pay attention to the stage and trying to help out.

Not even close to what I said

I was at a local 3 gun shoot earlier this year where I had a strange thing happen. At the end of the stage the RO gave the ULSC command so I dropped the mag put it in the pouch on my belt and the RO caught the ejected live round (the club prefers if you don't catch the round yourself they call it showboating and don't want newer shooters trying it). I checked the chamber then showed it to the RO, and he said clear hammer down. I pointed to the berm and BANG. The RO and I just stood there for a few seconds trying to figure out what just happened. After talking about it for a few minutes the only thing we (me ,RO and a few people on the squad) could come up with is when I ejected the live round I had the gun on its side with the ejection port straight up. Somehow a live round must have stripped out of the mag while I dropped it and was laying/stuck in the grip. When I released the slide I turned the gun just right and the slide caught it and sent it into the chamber. I said I'll pack my stuff up for the day and he said no, it was his fault for not catching it. I don't know if he made the right call by letting me finish out the day or not and I don't want to get into a debate over it, but either way I did learn a important lesson. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHINE. Now part of my routine is to rack the slide two or three times before pulling the trigger.

I want to minimize distractions when unloading. I don't try to catch the round. I don't want a RO fumbling to rescue my poor round. I just remove magazine, pull the slide gently back, and let the round fall. I'm not oo proud or stiff to pick it from the ground.

• 1 month later...

I had a DQ this last weekend during my second USPSA match on the second stage after fumbling through it (was a long, 32 rd stage with 2 activators and 7 positions to shoot from). Stupidly, I pulled the trigger on a live round during ulsc. I immediately looked at the RO (who was the range director) and said "That's a DQ." "Yup." Fortunately, it was in a safe direction and pointed down toward the berm. The RO was very cool about it since he understood that I had made a massive brain fart and knew the rules otherwise. Unfortunately for me, it was an extremely embarrassing display of not carefully following directions. I did stick around for the entire match to help paste targets, watch other shooters,  and generally reflect on the massive mistake I had made. Still had a good time, but I'll definitely be slowing things way way down during the ulsc. Doesn't help that I hadn't shot a match in a few months, but still not an excuse. I'll be back next weekend for some steel challenge.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:28 PM, blacklab said:

I was at a local 3 gun shoot earlier this year where I had a strange thing happen. At the end of the stage the RO gave the ULSC command so I dropped the mag put it in the pouch on my belt and the RO caught the ejected live round (the club prefers if you don't catch the round yourself they call it showboating and don't want newer shooters trying it). I checked the chamber then showed it to the RO, and he said clear hammer down. I pointed to the berm and BANG. The RO and I just stood there for a few seconds trying to figure out what just happened. After talking about it for a few minutes the only thing we (me ,RO and a few people on the squad) could come up with is when I ejected the live round I had the gun on its side with the ejection port straight up. Somehow a live round must have stripped out of the mag while I dropped it and was laying/stuck in the grip. When I released the slide I turned the gun just right and the slide caught it and sent it into the chamber. I said I'll pack my stuff up for the day and he said no, it was his fault for not catching it. I don't know if he made the right call by letting me finish out the day or not and I don't want to get into a debate over it, but either way I did learn a important lesson. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHINE. Now part of my routine is to rack the slide two or three times before pulling the trigger.

Why the RO AND YOU should look into the opening to see the empty chamber, no mag, no rounds.  Technically it is not the RO's job to catch this and you were right to expect to be done.  As hard as that sounds and as much as all of us hate to see it happen.

Whenever I run into a competitor who treats the ulsc sequence as a speed drill, I make them do it again so I can see the process.  

I always stress to new competitors that the lmr and ulsc sequences are not speed drills.  Take your time, look around to verify the range is clear and that their gun is clear when it's the right time.  

Luckily only you and the RO's nerves were rattled and nothing else bad happened.  Bet it did scare the bejesus out of both of you.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a newbie, I showed clear without unloading the mag and fired before RO had a chance to repeat unload. These days when I ro, i never rush through the commands with any shooter to allow them time to process the info especially if the have adrenaline going through them.