Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on shell caddies for quad loads

grottulf

Hi guys,

I've been shooting IPSC handgun and rifle here in Sweden for some years, but now I want to try out shotgun with my Mossberg 590.
Could you please help me decide what shell caddies to use for quad loading?

I would like to get a King gen5 caddy, but I'm happy if I'll get the time to shoot one competion a year,
so I really can't justify the price of those.

So I've mostly been looking at the other end of the price range.

Taccom sport series seems to be a popular choice for the budget oriented.

But I haven't got the largest hands (size 8 in gloves) so I don't get a very good grip on the lower shell near the wrist.
I don't have much problem getting the shells in shotgun when reloading,
but could it be a problem when I fetch the shells from the caddy?
Since the lower shells are held in place with clips...

I'm also wondering about the difference between the canted 8S4 caddies and the 8S4Q caddies with a bottom plate.

8S4:
taccom-sport-series-8s4.jpg

8S4Q:

taccom-8s4q.jpg
would one of them be better than the other in this regard?

I'm also a little interrested in the EZLOAD caddies.
They look a lot like the KING caddies, but with a lower price tag.
Has anyone tried both, and can share their thoughts about them?

EZLOAD:

ez28front_large.png?v=1476654457

KING:

IMG_7984.JPG.jpg

My son uses the Taccom 84S and is happy with them, as are several others I shoot with. I load 2 off of a chest rig. if you are really only going to be shooting 1 match a year a reliable load 2 beats a fumbled quad load all day.

I find that the 8S4Q makes it easier to get a good grab every time for me. I have the other style on a chest rig, and the shells definitely "pull" a little easier, at the expense of being less consistent. I could get used to either one, but familiarity and consistency with the 8S4Q makes me lean heavily on them. I only use the chest rig when I can't fit enough shells on my belt. I have years of practice with the non canted version and much less with the canted, so it is definitely a muscle memory/technique thing for me.

Thanks for the input guys!

I should probably use the load 2 technique, but it's fun to learn something new [emoji4]

And the little testing I've done with quad loading wasn't as catastrophic as could be expected [emoji3]

In IPSC I'm limited to have all shells around the waist btw, if that changes things...

And I need a minimum of 24 rounds, but I think I'll want 28 or more since I'll probably drop some and miss some targets...

I've used & still own just about every type of quads. A lot comes down to personal preference....

I never really got on with the AP custom type. I found the shells were too far apart for a consistent grab & it only took one episode of the steel sprung part that holds the shell in place going under my finger nail for me to stop using them for good.

I used the original Taccoms pretty successfully for a long time. They're great. Great price, great retention, the shells are close together & they're able to handle different length shells without adjustment. The down side to them is method that they hold the shell. Because they grip the top of the top shell & the bottom of the bottom shell they have a tendency to "V" in the hand. This can be mitigated with (lots of) training

I leapt enthusiastically at the magnetic Taccoms but could never get them to give consistent hold on the shell. Probably down to my ineptitude more than design.

The newer generation of European based quads are all very similar in design

Ezload, Magload & the gen4 Kings all locate the bottom shell & hold the top in place with a good magnet. I've used them all & I still own most (I'm a caddy magpie.....) 

Honestly, there isn't much between them. They all need adjusting if you're changing shells although some have designed ways of to soak up small amounts of variance.

I'm now using the gen5 Kings & really struggle to find anything bad to say about them. They aren't cheap, but then quality rarely is

I predominantly shoot IPSC based matches in the UK (Yes, we're allowed some guns) so my rig is angled towards that.

My rig holds 28 & I preload from a separate 8.

A long IPSC course of fire is going to be a maximum of 32 rounds, so 36 should be plenty....... should be.......

Recommendations?

Given you shoot a match or 2 a year & don't want to invest Kings money, I'd suggest the Ezload or the Magload. Because of the design they won't "V" like a Taccom even if you have small hands.

Obviously you should save up & get some kings though....... ?

9 hours ago, grottulf said:

Thanks for the input guys!

I should probably use the load 2 technique, but it's fun to learn something new emoji4.png

And the little testing I've done with quad loading wasn't as catastrophic as could be expected emoji3.png

In IPSC I'm limited to have all shells around the waist btw, if that changes things...

And I need a minimum of 24 rounds, but I think I'll want 28 or more since I'll probably drop some and miss some targets...

In IPSC you cannot use a chest rig? I'd be screwed, I'm too fat to keep all my shells on my belt. 

I find that the 8S4Q makes it easier to get a good grab every time for me. I have the other style on a chest rig, and the shells definitely "pull" a little easier, at the expense of being less consistent. I could get used to either one, but familiarity and consistency with the 8S4Q makes me lean heavily on them. I only use the chest rig when I can't fit enough shells on my belt. I have years of practice with the non canted version and much less with the canted, so it is definitely a muscle memory/technique thing for me.

How du you pull from the 8S4Q?

If you pull out the top shells first, can you pull the lower shells more or less straight up, so you don't need so much force?

I've used & still own just about every type of quads. A lot comes down to personal preference....

I never really got on with the AP custom type. I found the shells were too far apart for a consistent grab & it only took one episode of the steel sprung part that holds the shell in place going under my finger nail for me to stop using them for good.

I used the original Taccoms pretty successfully for a long time. They're great. Great price, great retention, the shells are close together & they're able to handle different length shells without adjustment. The down side to them is method that they hold the shell. Because they grip the top of the top shell & the bottom of the bottom shell they have a tendency to "V" in the hand. This can be mitigated with (lots of) training

I leapt enthusiastically at the magnetic Taccoms but could never get them to give consistent hold on the shell. Probably down to my ineptitude more than design.

The newer generation of European based quads are all very similar in design

Ezload, Magload & the gen4 Kings all locate the bottom shell & hold the top in place with a good magnet. I've used them all & I still own most (I'm a caddy magpie.....) 

Honestly, there isn't much between them. They all need adjusting if you're changing shells although some have designed ways of to soak up small amounts of variance.

I'm now using the gen5 Kings & really struggle to find anything bad to say about them. They aren't cheap, but then quality rarely is

I predominantly shoot IPSC based matches in the UK (Yes, we're allowed some guns) so my rig is angled towards that.

My rig holds 28 & I preload from a separate 8.

A long IPSC course of fire is going to be a maximum of 32 rounds, so 36 should be plenty....... should be.......

Recommendations?

Given you shoot a match or 2 a year & don't want to invest Kings money, I'd suggest the Ezload or the Magload. Because of the design they won't "V" like a Taccom even if you have small hands.

Obviously you should save up & get some kings though....... [emoji6]

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I hadn't heard of Magload. I'll check them out as well.

How do you fasten the big Ezload and King caddies to your belt?

And what kind of belt do you use for them?

Isn't it maximum 28 rounds for a long course btw?

And I think that you can't start with condition 3 if there are more than 23 round in the stage.

But I could very likely have misunderstood the rules.

And I will probably need a lot of extra ammo anyway [emoji4]

2 hours ago, grottulf said:

How do you fasten the big Ezload and King caddies to your belt?

And what kind of belt do you use for them?

Isn't it maximum 28 rounds for a long course btw?

And I think that you can't start with condition 3 if there are more than 23 round in the stage.

But I could very likely have misunderstood the rules.

And I will probably need a lot of extra ammo anyway emoji4.png

Velcro. Lots & lots of velcro. I wear a standard velcro inner to stop my trousers falling down & a modified weight lifting belt (modified with velcro) that I attach the caddies to.
I also have modifications for attaching tekloks so that I can use them when I shoot 3 gun....

Yes, you're right. 28 max. I was getting mixed up with the 32 max hits. No idea on the condition 3 max round count

10 hours ago, grottulf said:

How du you pull from the 8S4Q?

If you pull out the top shells first, can you pull the lower shells more or less straight up, so you don't need so much force?

I pull them out with a flick of the wrist, top shells first. If you pull them straight out you may have problems, but the technique I use is super consistent. I picked it up in one the many quad load tutorials on YouTube, can't remember which one.