Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm Buffer Help

I bought a Karri's 10mm upper and complete lower. It has a 6 position stock with a 8oz.buffer and a carbine 308 spring, with a 16" barrel. I want to change to an A2 stock. What weight rifle buffer and rifle spring will I need. I'm thinking about a Blitz Hydro buffer but it is only 6oz. I will be shooting 125gr. to 200 gr. Factory and reloads. Also I will use it for deer hunting. So it will be used for light and heavy loads. Can I use the carbine 8oz.buffer with a 308 rifle spring or will I have to use a rifle buffer? This blowback rifle stuff is very confusing. Thanks...

Edited by TheTodd

Hello: You can use a carbine buffer but you will have to get or make a spacer to restrict how far the bolt moves back. Get a 308 rifle spring to complete it. Or you could use the carbine buffer and spring and install a bunch of quarters to restrict the amount the bolt comes back. Once you know the thickness of the quarters then make a spacer that long. Make sense? Thanks, Eric

I once had a dream that I was going to convert my carbine to a rifle length buffer tube, so that I could take advantage of the extra travel by using softer springs, duplex springs, adding rubber bumpers, etc.  Then the reality that the bolt carrier travel is limited by the upper receiver surfaced, and the fact that you can get all the travel you can use with a carbine length buffer tube, made it a waste of time and effort.  Just buy one of the cheap spacers or make one yourself with washers or whatever you have in the shop.  

Edited by L9X25