Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manually feeding one primer a time 650

You could leave the primer feed mechanism empty and then just pull the case out of station 2, manually put a primer into the hole in the feed mechanism, put the case back in and then push the handle forward to seat the primer. Not sure why you would want to do this, but.....................ok

30 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

You could leave the primer feed mechanism empty and then just pull the case out of station 2, manually put a primer into the hole in the feed mechanism, put the case back in and then push the handle forward to seat the primer. Not sure why you would want to do this, but.....................ok

What if an auto drive is used, where you cannot manually push the handle to seat the primer?  I am trying to play safe with Federal primers... I only need small amount of ammo with Federal primers, and don't want any Federal in the tube or on the primer disk except the next one to be seated.  Chain detonation is nasty.

37 minutes ago, JusticeOfToren said:

What if an auto drive is used, where you cannot manually push the handle to seat the primer?  I am trying to play safe with Federal primers... I only need small amount of ammo with Federal primers, and don't want any Federal in the tube or on the primer disk except the next one to be seated.  Chain detonation is nasty.

I have loaded thousands of Fed SPP on my 650. I just treat them the same as all other primers.

CAREFULLY.

Chain detonation is possible but highly unlikely to happen unless you just bang way too hard on the handle.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

I have loaded thousands of Fed SPP on my 650. I just treat them the same as all other primers.

CAREFULLY.

Chain detonation is possible but highly unlikely to happen unless you just bang way too hard on the handle.

Just had one last week after safety loading about 50k Federal.  Today I managed to replace all the damaged parts, and everything is back working.

It was due to a misaligned primer going into the primer pocket, by just 0.001 inch or so.  With any other brands such as WSP or S&B which I also use extensively, this won't denote at all.  However, Federal seems extremely sensitive, especially recent batches.  

A friend detonated a loaded round with Federal yesterday on his 1050 while it came down from the chute into a pile of completed rounds... Luckily it did not cause any chain reaction but it's scary.

It's time to switch to 100% WSP even in matches I suppose. 

I have also loaded thousands without issue.  But always very careful.  My thoughts are to resize and deprime.  Then seat them with a hand held device.  Take the decap pin out and go to town.  You could also resize and prime on a single stage press.  

All this his does seem to take away from the usefulness of a great progressive press and it's functionality though.  But I can understand wanting to take away any chance of detonating a stack.

molson

4 hours ago, molson said:

My thoughts are to resize and deprime.  Then seat them with a hand held device.  Take the decap pin out and go to town.  You could also resize and prime on a single stage press.  

I handle all once fired 223/5,56 brass cases this way.  Except I just keep my sizing die in a separate toolhead.  I prime using a RCBS bench primer after I have swaged the cases the first time.  I always seem to catch a few that didn't get swaged quite well enough.   Once they are all primed, I switch to my loading toolhead, and throw the primed brass into the hopper and away we go, with no priming issues.

It is an extra step, but loading is always faster when you are not  fighting primer stoppage issues.  With brass that has been swaged, I just resize, then clean and load as the machine was intended to be used.

Dude if you have a mark 7, just fill primers and stand back[emoji6]

I've never used federal primers, nor had a detonation, but mark 7 has seated primers sideways, upside down, attempted to seat primers with a spent primer still in the case. No detonation. However it is with S&B and CCI...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, cvincent said:

Dude if you have a mark 7, just fill primers and stand backemoji6.png

I've never used federal primers, nor had a detonation, but mark 7 has seated primers sideways, upside down, attempted to seat primers with a spent primer still in the case. No detonation. However it is with S&B and CCI...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1050 had never had sideways primers and maybe 2 upside down primers. But that was because they went in the tube upside down. 

You have a press issue not a mark 7 issue. If your press isn't running at 100% running it faster with the auto drive will just make the problems worse, but this not something the drive is doing wrong. 

Federals aren't more dangerous than any other primer

13 minutes ago, Kraj said:

My 1050 had never had sideways primers and maybe 2 upside down primers. But that was because they went in the tube upside down. 

You have a press issue not a mark 7 issue. If your press isn't running at 100% running it faster with the auto drive will just make the problems worse, but this not something the drive is doing wrong. 

Federals aren't more dangerous than any other primer

Federals are more dangerous than other primers.  Dillon tech told me do not use Federal on 650. 

It's not a press issue.  I suspect it's a particular primer that's slightly out of spec, because when I filled the tube there was one primer got stuck on my Pal Filler.  It's rare for Federal, but that does happen every 10 thousands or so.  It happens more with SB and WSP but they never pop even if the rim of the primer got chopped off due to out of spec dimension of the primer.

pop.jpg.4d53dddcc532fb2fd2e11e72aa782b6b.jpg

2 minutes ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Federals are more dangerous than other primers.  Dillon tech told me do not use Federal on 650. 

It's not a press issue.  I suspect it's a particular primer that's slightly out of spec, because when I filled the tube there was one primer got stuck on my Pal Filler.  It's rare for Federal, but that does happen every 10 thousands or so.  It happens more with SB and WSP but they never pop even if the rim of the primer got chopped off due to out of spec dimension of the primer.

So Dillon, are you guys back to not recommending Federal primers?

7 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Sorry, not buying it. I've crushed Federal primers while pushing the handle forward to insert them into a crimped primer pocket. All brands can go off but to say you shouldn't use them is ignoring the tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of rounds that have beeen safely loaded with them.

As to the original question, you need to make sure you aren't loading crimped primer brass. I load Federals on my 650 now 2-500 at a time and I always manage to mangle one or two in that time. if you only want to load 50 then just put 50 into the tube and into the primer feed system. Advance the disk by hand until you see the first one and start loading.

Billions may have been safely loaded but when it pops, it pops.   I was just like you, ignoring what Dillon and others have been saying, don't load Federal on 650.  I have loaded 50k safely and still have about 50k Federal primers in stock.  All I know is this particular one detonated, causing a chain reaction.  My inner tube is trash, and Dillon said the outer steel tube, even though looks intact, is only rated to withstand 1 detonation.   So I bought the whole primer assembly.   I just don't want this to happen again, maybe once every 100k, a million?  I don't know but I just don't like that.  

As for brass, I hand sort all my brass and never had any crimped pocket issue.  This particular one is a non crimped WIN headstamp as you can see.  Again, I think this particular primer is a bit oversized (bad QC?) because I remember one primer got stuck when I loaded the tube with Pal Filler.  Pal Filler is actually good QC because it's CNCed and has very tight spec.  Any out of spec primer will get stuck - I had many with SB and WSP, but very rarely with Federal.  Unfortunately I just hand loaded that stuck primer back into the tube... I should have just tossed it.

1 hour ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Billions may have been safely loaded but when it pops, it pops.   I was just like you, ignoring what Dillon and others have been saying, don't load Federal on 650.  I have loaded 50k safely and still have about 50k Federal primers in stock.  All I know is this particular one detonated, causing a chain reaction.  My inner tube is trash, and Dillon said the outer steel tube, even though looks intact, is only rated to withstand 1 detonation.   So I bought the whole primer assembly.   I just don't want this to happen again, maybe once every 100k, a million?  I don't know but I just don't like that.  

As for brass, I hand sort all my brass and never had any crimped pocket issue.  This particular one is a non crimped WIN headstamp as you can see.  Again, I think this particular primer is a bit oversized (bad QC?) because I remember one primer got stuck when I loaded the tube with Pal Filler.  Pal Filler is actually good QC because it's CNCed and has very tight spec.  Any out of spec primer will get stuck - I had many with SB and WSP, but very rarely with Federal.  Unfortunately I just hand loaded that stuck primer back into the tube... I should have just tossed it.

FYI, you didn't have to buy any of the replacement parts. The Dillon no BS warranty should cover everything.

"don't load federals on a 650"

why?

you will spend more money on tubes...

ETA, how many times will Dillon send replacement tubes If you admit you load Federals?

If you want to load the primers one at a time.

I suggest you put the primer in just after the drop-off for ski-ramp.

you will have about 8 primers on the carousel at a time 

wear eyes and ears.

Edited by Miranda

• 4 weeks later...

after I posted that I looked at the primer wheel.

I was incorrect in my memory of how the mount is shaped.

To do as I had in mind, one would have to add a shelf under the primer carosel.

... May be I thought it would be easy and so 'possible' got stuck in my head as 'done.'

one can add a small piece of plastic or wood or sheet metal to create a shelf

to use to add one primer at a time.

miranda