Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a shooter have to "show clear" to the RO?

Cuz

24 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

If he does not show clear, you can’t follow with “hammer down and holster” or “range is clear” therefore no time will be given and everything comes to a stop until you as RO are satisfied that he showed you a clear chamber. My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Concur!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/21/2017 at 2:28 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

As Garmil pointed out, Rule 10.6.1 applies.  

Match Disqualification – Unsportsmanlike Conduct 10.6.1 Competitors will be disqualified from a match for conduct which a Range Officer deems to be unsportsmanlike. Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include, but are not limited to, cheating, dishonesty, failing to comply with the reasonable directions of a Match Official, or any behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute. The Range Master must be notified as soon as possible.

Good luck with that - my response would be that I wasn't finished with the course of fire.  Since the phrase starts with "If finished,....." it;'s a conditional command - so I don't think you can invoke 10.6.1.....

Note: If you instead say "Stop! Unload and Show Clear" the competitor must comply, but also has grounds for a reshoot, if the competitor wasn't done.  Is it possible that this competitor was angling for that?

13 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

Good luck with that - my response would be that I wasn't finished with the course of fire.  Since the phrase starts with "If finished,....." it;'s a conditional command - so I don't think you can invoke 10.6.1.....

Note: If you instead say "Stop! Unload and Show Clear" the competitor must comply, but also has grounds for a reshoot, if the competitor wasn't done.  Is it possible that this competitor was angling for that?

Going back the posts, I believe the reference was to a situation where the competitor unloaded, holstered and started walking away from the stage. The RO did not see the chamber and called unload and show clear again. It was clear that the competitor was finished.

On 12/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, Nik Habicht said:

Nik with all due respect, it is that type of thinking that is ruining this sport,

Happy New Year.

3 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

Nik with all due respect, it is that type of thinking that is ruining this sport,

Happy New Year.

Gary,

I agree - and probably didn't communicate my thoughts as clearly as I should have......

1. In general - good idea to stick to the range commands - and to repeat "If finished, unload and SHOW CLEAR."  Emphasizing the last couple of words will usually get the message across.

If that doesn't do it, either try it a third time, or add a couple of words - Please show clear, I didn't verify the chamber and magwell are empty - something like that.

2. Try to avoid using the "stop" command - range lawyers are out there, and sometimes will try to get the reshoot.  The reshoot shouldn't happen - but there's a risk, if the Stop is found to be unwarranted.

3. 10.6.1 - is a stretch, if the only words the RO uttered are are the official range commands.  

Everyone - competitors and ROs should try to adhere to the rulebook as closely as possible.  Any better?

Happy New Year to you too, Gary!