Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm mags sticking

SMSI

single stack 9mm custom gun.  new or nearly new mags.  both wilson and Dawson.  magwell is a new Ice. using both no-gap insert with no-gap mags, and using the regular insert with other mag pads.  sticking occurs only after ejecting a round and then slide lock.  the empty mags dont always stick but usually do.  they stick at the top - not at the magwell. very tight stick.  it seems the ejection of the round or casing and then the slide lock pull the mag body up and into the top of the gun, but I am not sure about this.

thanks for input.

What I have seen to cause hard magazine removal is that the magazine follower snaps over the slide stop lug.

Next time it happens, don't just yank the magazine out, stop and look inside. 

Look at the positions of follower and slide stop with the slide off the gun but the slide stop and an empty magazine in place.

51 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

What I have seen to cause hard magazine removal is that the magazine follower snaps over the slide stop lug.

What can allow the follower to do that?

I've had a couple of sticky magazines that I found to be slightly wider at the top, compared with mags that were behaving. A careful squeeze in a vice (with follower removed or pushed to the bottom of the magazine) returned those to working order.

A sticky magazine is often due to splayed lips or a bulge in the body.  A squeeze in a smooth jawed vise - I have even used Vise Grip pliers - will usually fix that.  I have one that is sticky but I cannot find the wide spot.  I demoted it to Barney Mag status.

In case of a hard "latch" in the gun with the follower over the slide stop, a narrow follower or a short slide stop (or a .45 slide stop in a 9mm gun)  will do it.  I had a couple so sloppy that they were not even sticking, they just bypassed the slide stop entirely.  I put a little crease in the right side of the tube to hold the follower to the left against the slide stop.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Jim Watson said:

A sticky magazine is often due to splayed lips or a bulge in the body.  A squeeze in a smooth jawed vise - I have even used Vise Grip pliers - will usually fix that.  I have one that is sticky but I cannot find the wide spot.  I demoted it to Barney Mag status.

In case of a hard "latch" in the gun with the follower over the slide stop, a narrow follower or a short slide stop (or a .45 slide stop in a 9mm gun)  will do it.  I had a couple so sloppy that they were not even sticking, they just bypassed the slide stop entirely.  I put a little crease in the right side of the tube to hold the follower to the left against the slide stop.

Thank you Jim. 

I've been fighting mag issues like this for a long time and was blaming the magazines. I have three Wilsons with plastic followers that never gave trouble, but  the ones with a metal followers were a real headache until I read this.......  " or a .45 slide stop in a 9mm gun."  You have saved the day for me. I had bought a extended slide stop and unknowingly got one for a 45, changed it back with the original and are now good to go.    

Edited by Drillbit