Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Greetings from SE Alaska

alvo89

Hello everybody,

I'm new to shooting sports and shot my first USPSA Pistol match last month.  It was super fun and I felt I decently performed for my first time in Production.  Shot slow and accurate, next match I won't be banging into walls and will make sure to pay attention at the stage briefings (acted like a newb when one stage was started holstered and UNLOADED) :lol:.

With my situation living in Southeast Alaska, there are no local shooting matches of any kind besides trap shooting, so I have to travel to do any shooting/competing.  I work in a restaurant and make good tips so I plan on traveling all over every couple months and shooting with everybody at their local USPSA matches (in Area 1).  Next stop is either Hawaii or Mesa, AZ as I have friends to lodge with.  Any suggestions of where the bigger USPSA communities are with the funnest matches?

In my hometown of Ketchikan, Alaska we do have a decent enough range to host Steel Challenge matches, I'm hoping to learn how to host and sanction actual matches sometime in the future, maybe take a program with the NROI.

Anyway, as I'm already hooked on USPSA, I hope to expand the sport and community and look forward to reading through all the wealth of knowledge in the posts and threads of all the various forums here.

-Alvin

Wait...your guns are unfrozen enough to shoot up there?  The steel doesn't just shatter when you hit it?  Kidding!  :-D  I've never been, but always wanted to visit Alaska.  I heard it is gorgeous up there.  :)  I'm glad to hear they have matches and such up there for everyone.

10 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

your guns are unfrozen enough to shoot ?  

Lot of times, in the winter, you'll see the temperature in Anchorage is warmer than New York  -  Gulf Stream, of sorts.

And, Ketchikan is far south of Anchorage - more like British Columbia - where they grow grapes in certain microclimates    :) 

My wife loves fishing, I just love my wife and if it involves fishing then I am there.  Oddly enough she taught me to hunt and from there I got into shooting.  God blessed me way beyond what I deserve with her.  Maybe one day we can make it to Alaska