Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jschweg

Mobile Reloading Table/Stand

I'm looking for some creative ideas to help me with my primary reloading difficulty. I live in a pretty small house and I don't have a place where I can leave my 550 set up permenantly. I don't have a basement, and my detached garage is far too damp (as most of my non chromed tools have surface rust on them).

My press is bolted to a section of 2x10 which gets clamped to the kitchen table. I've been doing this for years and it works great, but I'm starting to load larger amounts of ammo and it's such a hassle to have to pull everything out and bolt everything up when I just want to crank out a few hundred rounds after dinner or something like that.

Is anyone using some sort of mobile/portable stand that takes up a small footprint and might be able to be rolled or carried away when I'm done?

I just need an idea that's better than what I'm currently doing.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I dunno... it looks like it would be wiggly and move around during reloading.  I did not look at all the videos on their site but the ones I saw are lots and lots of marketing hype and no information about how it works or what design features make it work.  There was not even any video segment showing the product in action.  Saw a lot of people talking about how good it was  and eating/grilling hot dogs and stuff but did not see the product much.  

I can't imagine adding enough weight to offset the downward force on the handle. So even even if you get this little marvel of engineering you would still have to clamp/mount it to something.  Maybe spend  the $250 on powder and primers and use the 2x10 like you have been.  The disclaimer is I am wrong about 50% of the time and is your money.  

I have mine bolted to a 300 lb. bench made out of 2x6's and bolted to the wall and I think mine still wiggles to much.  I accept that I am OCD and am currently looking for a therapy group for people who can't stand wiggly work benches.    

lol I am they same way, wiggle = root of all evil :)

I think the most popular option for limited/portable press is mounting to a appropriately cut piece of 2x12 or similar and clamping to the heaviest table available, ie dining room table, etc. when using, then putting away when done.  no clamping setup will ever be as solid as a good bench, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

I dunno... it looks like it would be wiggly and move around during reloading.  I did not look at all the videos on their site but the ones I saw are lots and lots of marketing hype and no information about how it works or what design features make it work.  There was not even any video segment showing the product in action.  Saw a lot of people talking about how good it was  and eating/grilling hot dogs and stuff but did not see the product much.  

I can't imagine adding enough weight to offset the downward force on the handle. So even even if you get this little marvel of engineering you would still have to clamp/mount it to something.  Maybe spend  the $250 on powder and primers and use the 2x10 like you have been.  The disclaimer is I am wrong about 50% of the time and is your money.  

I have mine bolted to a 300 lb. bench made out of 2x6's and bolted to the wall and I think mine still wiggles to much.  I accept that I am OCD and am currently looking for a therapy group for people who can't stand wiggly work benches.    
They claim that with the ballast in there it weighs about 45 pounds, but that doesn't really seem like it would stay put on the end of the downstroke or the upstroke.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A lot of people seem to have used a small Black and Decker Workmate and bolted a heavy wood top to it. I might think about doing that since I could probably stow that in a corner somewhere when I'm not using it.

Try to think of a way to temporarily attach your bench to a wall.  Maybe put a batten with a couple studs someplace where you could hide it behind a chair when not in use.  My reloading bench is an old room divider/entertainment center.  It would never work freestanding but it is very stout being attached to a wall.

Because I reload in our guest bedroom, I've had my Redding T-7 mounted to a Lee Reloading Stand for a number of years.  It's under $100, doesn't take up a lot of space and is solid as a rock.  If you're willing to drill a few holes in the top plate of the stand you can use the quick change system from Inline Fabrication and be able to change presses or other tools in a matter of minutes.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/98655/redirect

And it allows you to store your unused concrete blocks underneath it !

This is the one I have because I am in the EXACT same situation as you.  The little shed out back is way to moist for me to keep any type of reloading tools in and I don't have a garage or extra room in the house.  So, I purchased this Frankford Arsenal portable stand and mounted my Hornady LnL AP to it.  It works just fine with no issues.  I can fold it up and put it in the closet if need be.  Yes, I would much rather have a solid, regular mounted bench to have it on, but this is better than not having it at all. :)   Plus, since we rent the house, I can't make modifications to it and build anything into the walls or anything, so I'm stuck with something portable.  Plus, you can raise or lower the top depending on the height you want it to be (sitting or standing while doing your reloading), so that works out nicely.  I usually have it lower than this and that makes it even more stable because it is closer to the ground and I can sit in a chair in front of it and pull the handle and look down into my cases (I have added a light from a fabrication company (forgot the name)) to verify my powder charge.  It works very well for as small of a footprint as it is.

reloading_table_with_press.jpg

Edited by R1_Demon
More info

Here's a picture of the Lee Reloading Stand with my T-7 mounted.  It doesn't fold for storage but it's definitely stable.

IMG_1059.JPG

This is the one I have because I am in the EXACT same situation as you.  The little shed out back is way to moist for me to keep any type of reloading tools in and I don't have a garage or extra room in the house.  So, I purchased this Frankford Arsenal portable stand and mounted my Hornady LnL AP to it.  It works just fine with no issues.  I can fold it up and put it in the closet if need be.  Yes, I would much rather have a solid, regular mounted bench to have it on, but this is better than not having it at all.    Plus, since we rent the house, I can't make modifications to it and build anything into the walls or anything, so I'm stuck with something portable.  Plus, you can raise or lower the top depending on the height you want it to be (sitting or standing while doing your reloading), so that works out nicely.  I usually have it lower than this and that makes it even more stable because it is closer to the ground and I can sit in a chair in front of it and pull the handle and look down into my cases (I have added a light from a fabrication company (forgot the name)) to verify my powder charge.  It works very well for as small of a footprint as it is.

reloading_table_with_press.jpg.37c3418cdd487648e33a9dfa51feea84.jpg
Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. So it's either this, or grab one of the Black and Decker Workmates.

Do you find that it wobbles or flexes at the top or bottom of the stroke where you would be seating the primer and applying pressure?

On 9/20/2017 at 5:51 PM, jschweg said:

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. So it's either this, or grab one of the Black and Decker Workmates.

Do you find that it wobbles or flexes at the top or bottom of the stroke where you would be seating the primer and applying pressure?

Not when I have it set low and I'm sitting in a chair doing my reloading.  Then I don't have any issues with it moving as long as the floor is stable.  I have parts in my house where the floor is not stable (my rental house is called the clown fun house because the floors are uneven in most rooms/hallways and it is like walking in a fun house most of the time.  LOL), so I have to be careful where I put it to reload.  However, as long as you put it down on a stable surface (I'm on hardwood floors), then it works fine. 

And, as I mentioned, the lower the top table is adjusted, the more stable it is.  If you have it all the way up and are standing, then yes, it can have flex it in and move a bit.  You could counteract that by putting weight(s) on the leg tubes and then it wouldn't move at all, but I don't like standing and reloading forever because it kills my back, so it works much better lowered and me sitting.  Then it doesn't move at all.