Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G23 is randomly doubling

jameslee1223

I've had this G23 for several years now and I've been running a Ghost Edge connector in it since I got it but the last few times I've had it at the range it's been firing on the reset. I pull the trigger it goes bang but as I'm releasing the trigger it goes bang again. It does this sporadically, two or three times per magazine. However, if I pull the trigger and keep it pinned back until the slide is back in battery and the gun is steady I can then release the trigger and it's fine. I'm running stock springs in this. The only thing I've done to the fire controls is a polish and the Edge connector and that was shortly after I got it. It's been running fine for 4 years now, up until a couple of weeks ago. Is it time for me to replace the trigger mechanism? Is everything just worn out. I've got maybe 6000 rounds through it. Thanks

Not sure which Ghost you have but when it comes to Glocks, return to OEM when there is a problem and that usually fixes it.  I have a basic Ghost connector in my G17 game gun and have not had a problem. If I ever do, I will go to the NP3 finished OEM that you can get from Overwatch Precision. I have one in another Glock and actually like it more than the Ghost (more crisp break).

http://overwatchprecision.com/triggers/

The first step I take with any troubleshooting is to isolate the part in question or else you will drive yourself insane chasing this rabbit.

I recommend putting the OEM connector in there to test fire.  If it stops doubling then you can be reasonably sure it is your Ghost connector is the issue.

If that is the case, you can simply replace your connector for a new one of your choice.  My preference has always been the OEM (-) "minus" connector.

If you insist on keeping your current connector then you can try bending it "out" slightly to see if relieves the problem.

Start from there and let us know...

When my G35 started doing that, it was because the rear of the striker had worn down in comparison to the back of the trigger bar (called the anvil, I think) and it would just barely catch the striker and releasing the trigger would cause the striker to slip off the back of the trigger bar and go bang.  On the plus side, It wasn't full auto and my splits were insane.

Yes, I replaced the striker (which seemed to be the most worn of the two parts).

Let me clarify a bit. I have been successfully running the Ghost Edge connector in my 23 for over four years. This issue of doubling is a recent occurrence. I don't have any spare parts to swap but I do have an new trigger assembly and sticker on order. I'm fairly confident that some part, striker, trigger bar, etc. is worn enough that it is letting the striker release on reset. Hopefully once my order arrives I'll be able to zero in on the exact problem.

12 hours ago, jameslee1223 said:

I'm fairly confident that some part, striker, trigger bar, etc. is worn enough that it is letting the striker release on reset.

You are probably right. Be sure to let us know what the final fix is.

One of my G17s has over 230,000 rounds thru it and there is no issue with the firing pin where it contacts the trigger cruciform. Nothing on a Glock is going to wear out in 6,000 rounds. Put the OEM connector back in and I bet it will run just fine. 

4 hours ago, 9x45 said:

One of my G17s has over 230,000 rounds thru it and there is no issue with the firing pin where it contacts the trigger cruciform. Nothing on a Glock is going to wear out in 6,000 rounds. Put the OEM connector back in and I bet it will run just fine. 

What he said.

I have noticed with some ghost connectors with the over travel tabs that they work fine dry firing but double during live fire. This least me to believe if you are right in the threadhold that the frame flexes to allow it to basically bump fire. As mentioned above, I suspect you have closed that gap the other way through part wear. Maybe try taking about .010" off the overtravel tab and see if that fixes you up?

Just realized the edge connector doesn't have the overtravel tab. Perhaps maybe something there is still useful though. 

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

My Ghost connector doesn't have an overtravel tab. 

I've fixed the problem. After swapping out connectors to no avail so I swiped a trigger bar from my son's parts stash. What do ya know? No more doubling. I tried every connector I have and they all work with this new trigger bar. 

I took a closer loser look at my old trigger bar and there is obvious wear on the end that engages with the striker. It's rounded over and there is a slight groove in the edge. 

Lesson is inspect your fire control parts closely when you have a malfunction like this. 

Thanks for all all the advice everyone. 

Edited by jameslee1223

• 2 weeks later...