Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help identifying S&W 627 revolver, value

Mike750200

Hey guys,

Mike here.  Looking for help identifying what this is and an approximate value.  I bought it at an estate sale, I don't have a lot of info on it.  It did not come with a box.

Its a 627, 8 shot.  It does not have a lock.

When I open the cylinder, where I'd expect to see the model and serial number (at least on a new smith) - I only see 627-pc, no serial number.

The left side of the barrel says Performance Center.  The right side of the barrel says .357 Mag-8 Times.

The trigger and hammer are jeweled  (unknown if at factory or if by a gunsmith afterwards.)

I looked on GunBroker and saw this, but it has a lock and the writing on the left and right side of the barrel are reversed versus what is on mine.  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/670860224

Any ideas what it is and what it's worth?

Revo1.jpg

first runs of 627 were 5.5 inch barrels and were 6 shot.   open the cylinder and the model numbers should be below the barrel/forcing cone. where the crane meets the frame.  I would say that it is a 627-5 with the guns profile, but you said I doesn't have a lock and the pictures show it, so that would put it as is a -2 or -3.   -4 are the supers.   king customs would do the swirls, but they are long gone.   maybe its a lew Horton with a  -5 barrell

Edited by JohnRodriguez

Heres a picture of where I thought the serial number should be.  It says 627-pc and then the number "844"

I took the grips off and this same 844 number is repeated near the bottom of the grip.

There appears to be a serial number on the underside of the grip.  RJM08xx

Thanks for all your help guys.  Let me know if I can provide anything else. 

revo5.jpg

I have a 627-PC and a 627-5 , supposed to be a Performance Center too, both 8 times on the barrell

The first has a non fluted cylinder and the firing pin retaining pin under the rear sight, bought in 1998/99, black plastic case with a Golden PC sticker

the second has fluted cylinder, regular side mounted firing pin retaining pin and ball yoke lock, imported in 2008/10, aluminium case with PC 

Daniele,

Thanks so much for your time.  I believe your 627-pc is the same model that I have.  My obviously has flutes on the cylinder.   

After some additional research, I suspect your catalog# is 170116 and likely has serial# BDMxxxx and my catalog# is 170089. I'm going to get a call into S&W tomorrow to confirm.