Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
38supPat

Remington 16.5" SPS .308

Picked one up for fun. Anyone have experience loading for it? Tested some factory loads yesterday and compared against my 700 PSS .308 24" rifle for accuracy and velocity. All loads lost around 150fps. Tried Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELD-X, shot ok in 16.5" terrible in 24" (1/10 twist vs. 1/12 twist) the real surprise was Hornady Black 168 AMAX. In both rifles it kept poking .5" groups time after time. 

Right now I have the 16.5" barrelled action in a Bell and Carlson M40 stock, factory Hogue was in contact with the barrel, I don't mean it flexes and touched the barrel, it was in contact all the time. EGW base and rings, Bushnell 3-12 elite Tactical G2DMR

I used to have an SPS with an 18" barrel.  My go to load for it was 44.0 grains of Varget and a 168 AMAX loaded to 2.820 OAL.

That load seems to shoot amazing in every 308 I have tried it in.

Yeah it really seems to like 168gr loads, doesn’t seem to matter if it’s 168SMK or 168 Amax (maybe a slight edge to the Amax)

Not sure the distance you're shooting this thing but I had a short ish barreled .308 that LOVED 125 speer bullets.. for plinking and varmints out to 3-400 yards it was a laser.  With the short barrel a tad faster powder will make you a really nice load for a quick handling rifle.

I put this together as part fun project and part as a deer rifle since most of the area I hunt in is thick bush and longer rifles are a PITA. This year it worked like a charm, easy to handle and manoeuvre with....but only deer I saw were at 600m and out of range. It works well with 168gr match bullets but over the winter I’m going to work up a couple loads with 175smk and 178 ELD-X and see what I get.

In my Remington 700 LTR, 175 SMK over 44.5 Varget w. CCI BR-2 primers has been a great load.  

In my 700PSS 175 SMK over 44gr or Varget worked well, not so much in this 16.5” 1/10” twist barrel...it’s ok but not great, not nearly as good as the 168 AMAX or SMK.

Well I had a good day doing load development today. Looks like I can get the 175SMK to shoot in both guns. Just need to run them a bit hotter.  The 178 ELD-X still wasn’t as good but I may be able to come up with a half decent load for hunting.