Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
benos

Words in posts now appearing as links

On 1/27/2019 at 7:42 PM, BritinUSA said:

Question for Brian; Is the Anti-Spam thing still active on this forum ?

The reason I ask is that I am wondering if the Viglink it getting routed to the Anti-Spam process to confirm that the user is allowed to add links, and maybe that delay is causing the issue.

Link to the Anti-Spam thing is below, if it is still active it may be causing a conflict so perhaps try turning it off ?

The only spam related setting in the ACP is attached. But I don't think that is what you are talking about?

spam.png

I think it was a downloaded xml file that was managed by a Manage Hook tab on the Admin Panel. 

I searched the entire ACP for "hook" and the only result was a link to the Plug-in section.

I have run several searches trying to find any reports of similar issues caused by viglink moving the cursor to the start of the link. I can’t find any. There are three possible reasons for that;

1. I’m not searching on the right terms.

2. The problem exists elsewhere but its not being reported.

3. There is some local alteration/code on this forum that is causing a unique problem.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:45 PM, Sarge said:

It’s not a glitch. Our host has implemented it. The only fix is for him to disable it which is his call. Not saying I agree or disagree with it just saying there is nothing broken.

They arent complaining about the links being created. That’s fine.

The cursor bumping BEFORE the word is the bug we’re talking about. That is not supposed to be happening, it doesn’t happen on other forums using this software. As you type words are linked behind you, seamlessly.

That’s how it’s supposed to work.

33 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

They arent complaining about the links being created. That’s fine.

The cursor bumping BEFORE the word is the bug we’re talking about. That is not supposed to be happening, it doesn’t happen on other forums using this software. As you type words are linked behind you, seamlessly.

That’s how it’s supposed to work.

Ah. Ok.

I wonder if this is platform related. When I type: reloading, the cursor stayed at the end of the word like it is supposed to, I typed the comma, and continued typing normally. 

Reloading works now at least for the word reloading oops, first time I typed it it was fine but second time cursor jumped back to front.

iphone

1 hour ago, benos said:

I wonder if this is platform related. When I type: reloading, the cursor stayed at the end of the word like it is supposed to, I typed the comma, and continued typing normally. 

It always cycles to front of word on iphone. You continually have to fix errors with each link. If you miss the jump because you’re watching the keyboard:

This scentence is supposed to have the word at the end of it reloading.

(fixed version: this scentence is supposed to have the word reloading at the end of it.)

The moment you hit the spacebar after “reloading” it puts the cursor before “reloading” or “gun” or whatever. THAT is what everyone is complaining about. It’s horrible.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

MP4 file showing the problem … Sample.mp4

There is a visible delay from the conversion completing to the cursor moving to the right of the preceding space. This is why it seems to work ok if the word reloading is the first word on the line, there is no preceding space so it works. If there is a preceding space the cursor jumps to it after converting the link. It could be the delay that is causing the issue.

There are extensions available (Ghostery for example) that will prevent VigLink from adding links. DuckDuckGo browser for IOS seems to prevent those links by default. If I use DuckDuckGo to add posts then the Viglink process simply does not run and it does not create any links.

I suspect that as more users start using adblockers of some kind, the revenue from tools such as viglink will decline rapidly.

I think a better form of revenue may be obtained by selling direct advertising on the site.

19 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

MP4 file showing the problem … Sample.mp4

There is a visible delay from the conversion completing to the cursor moving to the right of the preceding space. This is why it seems to work ok if the word reloading is the first word on the line, there is no preceding space so it works. If there is a preceding space the cursor jumps to it after converting the link. It could be the delay that is causing the issue.

The go  / play button doesn't do anything.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.55.22 PM.png

19 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Works on every browser that I have, it’s just an .mp4 it should work everywhere..

Doesn't work for me either...

Probably works for you because it's on your system...

I was wondering what was going on yesterday when I kept typing "rifle" on my iphone and it turned into a link and pushing the cursor back just before the R...