Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage 10 from Area4

B_RAD

39 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

How many people did you get to see run through it before you shot?

That's the biggest factor in how aggressively I'll plan a sequence like this, personally.

I didn't watch anyone shoot it.  I wanted to finish strong (or not tank) so I spent my time vusualizing. 

Then that makes sense. I find that if I see the previous squad pulling it off consistently, it lets me go into the challenging option with "just see your sights and this is cake" because I know I can do it.

Without that, I tend to be cautious like you.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, TimH said:

you could have easily grabbed the open target next to the big popper and then to the tuxedo as the transition was nearly nothing from popper to paper. that would have saved a second.

Jared, yes, the fastest prod run was in the 11's but we're talking Heatherington here. As for a solid run, mid 13's would easily be doable for Brad. The reload coming out of position 1 wasn't bad (I don't see much time wasted or spent here) as everyone with a low-cap gun had to reload there. the biggest brunt of time lost was simply not enough confidence on the first array, and the other being the last position at the port. Your body positioning there could have been better and you'd have saved about .70-1.0 sec just setting up on that better and minding your splits on that far tuxedo

Anyway, that's just my unasked for $.02...

How to position myself for ports like that is something I want to improve on!  Not just how I position my body either. Target order for positions since that’s how I decide where to position myself. I went in to that port with the intention to shoot left to right.  It seems most of the time the targets will be set up where you can’t shoot them from one position without shifting yourself.

You’re moving into another position and there’s 4 targets. You can shot #2 (numbered 1-4 left to right). Is that faster than waiting to get to one side or the other and sweep in one direction? Or is it better to always be shooting while you can regardless if you’re then gonna have to transition back to the left then all the way back to the right?  I know it’s hard to say what’ll be faster on a hypothetical stage but if you can be shooting .3 of a second faster, that seems better than waiting?  Even if you got to do wider transitions.  This would all be assuming the targets are equal difficulty but just not all available from one position without shifting/moving a step or leaning.

At my current level of stage breakdown, I always try to sweep in one direction.  I treat it like trying to not cover the same ground twice.  I know it’s a case by case thing but I think I need to try out other orders of shooting target arrays.

29 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

How to position myself for ports like that is something I want to improve on!  Not just how I position my body either. Target order for positions since that’s how I decide where to position myself. I went in to that port with the intention to shoot left to right.  It seems most of the time the targets will be set up where you can’t shoot them from one position without shifting yourself.

You’re moving into another position and there’s 4 targets. You can shot #2 (numbered 1-4 left to right). Is that faster than waiting to get to one side or the other and sweep in one direction? Or is it better to always be shooting while you can regardless if you’re then gonna have to transition back to the left then all the way back to the right?  I know it’s hard to say what’ll be faster on a hypothetical stage but if you can be shooting .3 of a second faster, that seems better than waiting?  Even if you got to do wider transitions.  This would all be assuming the targets are equal difficulty but just not all available from one position without shifting/moving a step or leaning.

At my current level of stage breakdown, I always try to sweep in one direction.  I treat it like trying to not cover the same ground twice.  I know it’s a case by case thing but I think I need to try out other orders of shooting target arrays.

I can't wait to see the responses to this as i was told last Sat at the TN State Match that i needed to work on that, ha ha. I must have looked pretty bad for the fellow squad members to mention it to me.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, B_RAD said:

Well, lets look at just the first array of the stage from Area 4 that we have been discussion. That particular array was engaged based on timing of an activator, so think "par time". How much work can you do in that specific "par time"? The simplest plan would be to shoot the static target, then the activator popper, the clamshell, the tux target, and then finishing the array with the mini popper behind the activator. However, this plan being the simplest, its also the slowest.

The most aggressive plan for that array was to shoot the activator, the static, the tuxedo, the mini popper, and THEN the clamshell. There was a higher level of risk, but the reward was 2+ seconds faster as you weren't waiting for anything and were doing a ton of work in the given "par time".

Now, to answer you question regarding ease of target vs. transition speed dictating how you engage an array? The answer is always: IT DEPENDS. In the case of the above array scenario, we get the fastest time and best stage results by "cross transitioning" the gun 4 times over the same array! Granted that's not always going to be the case, however, it goes to show you that working your transitions in practice will have you feeling much more confident at match day.

Put your theories to practice regarding coming in on easy targets, or cross transitioning from inside to outside and back to inside again. Work them out with a timer and record you HF's in practice and see what works best with just about any given scenario you can come up with!!

On 9/25/2017 at 1:54 PM, TimH said:

Well, lets look at just the first array of the stage from Area 4 that we have been discussion. That particular array was engaged based on timing of an activator, so think "par time". How much work can you do in that specific "par time"? The simplest plan would be to shoot the static target, then the activator popper, the clamshell, the tux target, and then finishing the array with the mini popper behind the activator. However, this plan being the simplest, its also the slowest.

The most aggressive plan for that array was to shoot the activator, the static, the tuxedo, the mini popper, and THEN the clamshell. There was a higher level of risk, but the reward was 2+ seconds faster as you weren't waiting for anything and were doing a ton of work in the given "par time".

Now, to answer you question regarding ease of target vs. transition speed dictating how you engage an array? The answer is always: IT DEPENDS. In the case of the above array scenario, we get the fastest time and best stage results by "cross transitioning" the gun 4 times over the same array! Granted that's not always going to be the case, however, it goes to show you that working your transitions in practice will have you feeling much more confident at match day.

Put your theories to practice regarding coming in on easy targets, or cross transitioning from inside to outside and back to inside again. Work them out with a timer and record you HF's in practice and see what works best with just about any given scenario you can come up with!!

Thanks man!