Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which short Weaver Base Top Mount for Stoeger M3000?

Cuz

I'm trying to determine which Weaver Base Top Mount rail will fit on one set of 2 screw holes on my Stoeger M3000 shotgun. The gun has two sets of 2 holes for mounting a longer rail but I only want to mount a smaller rail that I can put a Burris FF3 on. I'd rather not have all that extra rail space. Weaver makes a short top rail piece with many different sizes but their Mount charts don't include the Stoeger. If anyone is using one or knows what size fits please let me know.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could start with a Weaver 93A (M3000/3500 uses the same base/hole spacing as the Benelli M2 and SBE) then cut off the extra length from the base. EGW markets a Picatinny base for these guns too.

Those extra screws that anchor the base to the receiver add a good portion of extra security to the set up. Every time the gun recoils inertia will cause the optic and base to tug on the attaching screws that are threaded into the aluminum base. The heavier the optic the more stress the screws impart on threads in the aluminum receiver. 4 screws, or even 3 screws, spread that stress over a larger area than 2 screws...just something to keep in mind before you put a short, cut off base on the gun.

I have been running a FastFire on my Remington Versa Max for a few years now. I started out using the OEM Picatinny rail screwed (using blue Loctite) into the aluminum receiver. It held up OK, but it did tend to shake loose over time with periodic re-tightening required and, as Steve indicates, the soft aluminum receiver is not the ideal foundation for mounting an optic.

I did  briefly try the SpeedBead, but it did not work well for me as I run a very short stock. It might work for you if you have a full length stock and can find a version that fits your stock-receiver interface.

I have just started using an aftermarket cantilever mount, and so far I like it a lot. It was easy to install and seems to be pretty solid. It puts the optic in an acceptable location, and remains anchored to the barrel, making it easy to switch divisions just by swapping the barrel. It is a WEAVER spec rail, so if you are using a Picatinny mount you will have to slightly open up the back edge of the appropriate mounting slot with a small file (not a big deal). Also, as with the receiver rail, you will want to have a raised cheekpiece on the stock to get a proper cheek weld. Here is a photo of me running it in a match a few weeks ago:

NntWIuZ.png

Edited by StealthyBlagga