Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a roller handle ease my elbow pain?

Hmmm, not for me necessarily. i have a roller handle on my 550:

one day i loaded two-three hundred 9mm for a steel match. the moment i took first shots at match the next am i knew i was in trouble. my hand hurt terribly.

i think i went too fast and could have lubed the press better.

having said that i have a 450 with ball handle and not sure i notice any diff.

good luck, lube press, even case lube pistol brass.

1 hour ago, Banacek said:

I love my roller handle, I also added the foam cover for added comfort!  Love them both.  

Same here. I found a foam grip in health and beauty at the grocery store. It was a walking cane replacement grip. Fits Dillon roller handle perfectly!

18 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Same here. I found a foam grip in health and beauty at the grocery store. It was a walking cane replacement grip. Fits Dillon roller handle perfectly!

That is awesome, probably is the same thing I bought at UniqueTek.  LOL.  

2 hours ago, Max It said:

Hmmm, not for me necessarily. i have a roller handle on my 550:

one day i loaded two-three hundred 9mm for a steel match. the moment i took first shots at match the next am i knew i was in trouble. my hand hurt terribly.

i think i went too fast and could have lubed the press better.

having said that i have a 450 with ball handle and not sure i notice any diff.

good luck, lube press, even case lube pistol brass.

Lubing the press itself is another excellent point.  After a recent cleaning my XL650 was noticeably smoother and easier to run.

Lubing cases is better than having the roller handle. The roller handle saves the palm of your hand. The motion needed to use the ball or roller handle is the same. The only difference is that the ball handle is longer and you do not use as much arm motion. When I finally switched to the roller handle I had to raise the press a couple inches over what it was with the ball handle. Unlubed cases with either handle sucks, but lubed cases makes things a breeze no matter which handle.

Never had any pain until I replaced my ball handle with a roller handle (550 & Dillon roller). My shoulder joint didn't like the roller forcing the hand/arm to remain in a fixed orientation, went back to the ball & no more issues. 

This brings up a great point- do you hold onto the ball solidly, or loosely? If loosely, your hand should be orienting to what works for you and change positions constantly through the stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quit playing golf!!! And always load at least one week ahead, not the night before. I load standing up at a right angle to my shoulder, no pain at all. My 550 has an ebay roller handle, my SD has a 2" threaded extension but still with the ball. I don't use case lube but rather tumble in walnut loaded with mineral oil to clean, then in corn loaded with NuFinish car polish. Cases are shiney and slippery and doesn't benefit from case lube (I do use it on .357SIG cases though, but not 9mm).

image37491.jpg

Edited by 9x45

I don't think I'm holding tightly enough to not allow my hand to move where it needs to on the ball.

I've never played golf in my life.

My press is mounted high enough that it is comfortable for me to use standing with no awkward bending.

8 hours ago, michael.flitcraft said:

This brings up a great point- do you hold onto the ball solidly, or loosely? If loosely, your hand should be orienting to what works for you and change positions constantly through the stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loose. I think that is why the ball works best for me, the ball sort of rotates in my palm freeing up the arm position to be where it wants to be. 

A lot of people like the roller handle and think it is the first and most important accessory for a Dillon. But, strictly speaking, it locks your elbow into a single position that may or may not be beneficial. With the ball, your hand can just float around to what is natural for your upper extremity. I have a 550 and 650 and reload standing up, slightly leaning into the handle to seat the primer. When setting up the presses, I was careful to get the handle at a comfortable height - arm in a neutral position at side, bring hand up, palm out. Palm height = ball height