Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starline 38 TJ Brass?

dpeters

I just went on starlines web sight to buy some 38 Supercomp brass and to my suprize I noticed that Starline was selling 38 TJ brass. Has anyone else heard that Starline is selling 38 TJ brass?

I have been using Hornady 38 TJ brass for 3 years but I recently had to switch to Starline supercomp because the Hornady TJ brass was getting very hard to find.

The supercomp brass runs though my gun fine, but it seems to me that the Hornady TJ brass seats the primers much smoother in the reloading press compared to the starline supercomp. + that Hornady TJ brass is virtually indestructable.

• 4 weeks later...

The Starline rep at the nationals told me there is no difference between Starline and Hornady TJ brass. I am a long time Hornady TJ brass shooter but the Hornady brass was getting to scarce. I am glad to see that Starline has picked up the product. Starline has great customer service and the price will be cheaper then Hornady's. Hopefully the quality will be as good as Hornady's.

Shred,

What shell plate # is used for Starline 38TJ in the Dillon 550?

barry

I use a .223 for the Hornady stuff I have.

Same here, but the 550 is one of the two currently-produced Dillon presses I've never owned (the other being the SL 900), so I'm not much help there. I do use the .223 plate on both my 650 and 1050.

The Starline rep at the nationals told me there is no difference between Starline and Hornady TJ brass.

I sectioned some Hornady TJ and Starline TJ brass last night and they look extremely close in both exterior and interior dimensions. I'll throw up some pics if I get a chance.

Here's a shot of the sectioned brass, in order: Hornady TJ, Starline TJ and Starline Supercomp. The Hornady brass has some small differences from the Starline (chiefly in flash-hole punch/cut and slightly more radius in the web), but you can easily see the raised and strengthened web and the larger rim compared to the Supercomp, which is in itself a beefed-up rimless Super case.

Ignore the goofy look of the Starline TJ case rim.. I'm still getting the hang of brass-sectioning via CNC.

post-1846-1122775564_thumb.jpg

Didn't realize you had a CNC over at the house ;)

What's w/ the wierd bit at the top/center of each one?? Looks like .38SC has a deeper primer pocket, and slightly thinner rim, and just a hair less case web?

Didn't realize you had a CNC over at the house ;)

New toy.. still learning how to use it, then watch out.. the Shredlab has full-auto power tools!

What's w/ the wierd bit at the top/center of each one??

That's the tip of the bullet I crammed into the top half of each case to stop it collapsing when hit with an endmill at horribly wrong speeds and feeds (see: CNC, learning, above)

Looks like .38SC has a deeper primer pocket, and slightly thinner rim, and just a hair less case web?

I'm not sure about the primer pocket, I believe they're all the same, but the web is definately closer to the bottom of the case and the web is thinner. The rim-cut is also taller and deeper on the TJ. I'll have to stick a mic on the primer pockets sometime.

Starline is making TJ on the same die as Hornady, so it should be pretty much exactly the same.

Cool.. they are a little different, but that may be a manufacturing process or a production-run difference. I can naked-eye see more rounded corners on the interior of the Hornady vs Starline and they seem to cut the flash hole differently (that's not obvious naked-eye on the brass, but shows on the pictures)

You've got good eyes :).  The primer pockets on both bits of TJ brass went 0.120" deep, and the 38 Supercomp 0.122"

:) Looking across the three, it stands out like a sore thumb to me - in fact, it's the first thing I noticed between them. I'm suprised it's only 2 thou different, though...

• 2 weeks later...

On the fourth loading of the Starline TJ, some primer pockets are loose while using winchester primers, still good with federal primers.

Mark

BTW loading 7.6 7625 w/125's and 8.7 4756 w/125's

markm Posted Yesterday, 08:46 AM

On the fourth loading of the Starline TJ, some primer pockets are loose while using winchester primers, still good with federal primers.

Sounds like it behaves like regular supercomp huh?

Please keep us posted

thanks, James