Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload question

Yoder

My last match I performed a reload and my mag was empty but i had a round in the chamber.  I didn't retain the magazine and received a procedural which I know is the rule. It made me wonder why is this is illegal?  You aren't leaving rounds on the ground and it seems more tactically sound to have a round in the chamber then to go to slide lock. Is this just because or is there a reason?  

At one time people could have probably given you a 'tactical reason' for why it is a rule, but the original thinking for rules and the revisions and ideas over the years and various rule books makes this impossible unless you directly ask someone like Wilson or Hackathorn or other who were there. I think you're better off not trying to find a the reason why but to just know the rules and play within them. And T-free is getting away with breaking the rules at his club due to their ignorance of the rules, it's very clear.

rld.JPG

1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

At one time people could have probably given you a 'tactical reason' for why it is a rule, but the original thinking for rules and the revisions and ideas over the years and various rule books makes this impossible unless you directly ask someone like Wilson or Hackathorn or other who were there. I think you're better off not trying to find a the reason why but to just know the rules and play within them. And T-free is getting away with breaking the rules at his club due to their ignorance of the rules, it's very clear.

rld.JPG

I agree. I was just curious.  I think the previous post about round counting makes sense.

Yeah, I'm sure originally there was some sort of situational awareness thing and/or I've heard it said there was a study popular at the time that said in defense shootings both civilians and police shoot the gun to empty more times than not, normally without conscious thought of having done so. Either way, we get slide lock reloads or reloads with retention.

5 minutes ago, IronArcher said:

It's simply a stupid rule.
A rule meant to make up for people who can't or don't want to count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's simply not true.

Because of this rule, I'm forced to count my rounds and plan my reloads accordingly. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, IronArcher said:

Unintended consequence of a poorly thought out rule.
Ends up having the opposite effect than what was intended.

The intention was to keep the USPSA speed reload out of IDPA, and make you shoot the gun dry like you will in da streetz.

It worked exactly as intended.

...sort of.

The intention was to keep the USPSA speed reload out of IDPA, and make you shoot the gun dry like you will in da streetz.

It worked exactly as intended.

...sort of.

Save for the fact that I would never intentionally run dry if I had extra mags on my belt ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it's more gun fighting practical to reload an empty mag with one in the chamber rather than fire that last round and then have to slide lock reload.  I understand the speed load not being real world (kinda) in  the sense that most folks carry no spare ammo and when they do, they carry only one extra mag.  So, using all the ammo and not leaving 4 rounds behind in a discarded mag does make some practical sense. At least to me.  

Now, saying that,.... IDPA talks out both sides of their mouths when it comes to rules that have foundation in the realm practical self defense. 

You would never see the founders of IDPA who teach classes on self defense still to this day, teach or advise  to take shots on hostage takers. How many scenarios do you see at IDPA matches like this? A lot.  So,... That's dumb!  

Think about this, If the shooter stows an empty mag but has a round in the chamber, there is no PE! How stupid is that! How real world is that? Wasting time to stow an empty mag, when you should be going for a fully loaded mag! Don't get me started on shoot me first vest! Or why you can't go bullets out! Why? You're wearing a shoot me first vest! 

Saying all that, I belive that IDPA does it to be different than USPSA. Which makes some sense because if it's not different then why have it.

If folks want to shoot IDPA they just need to follow the rules and not try to understand them. Just have fun.  It is fun to shoot. 

Edited by B_RAD

because it is what USPSA shooters do,,, and IDPA is all about, "Lets do something different, even if it makes no sense."
Probably why most serious shooters dont take IDPA too serious...  Suggestion book is a joke.  Just get some trigger time, and put up with whatever local rules Tactical Tim has made up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 4:33 PM, Joe4d said:

because it is what USPSA shooters do,,, and IDPA is all about, "Lets do something different, even if it makes no sense."
Probably why most serious shooters dont take IDPA too serious...  Suggestion book is a joke.  Just get some trigger time, and put up with whatever local rules Tactical Tim has made up.

Yet now we have a -0/-1 zones in the head like the A/B zones....GASP!!!

On 11/12/2017 at 10:57 AM, Craig N said:

Yet now we have a -0/-1 zones in the head like the A/B zones....GASP!!!

...that match no known anatomy markers, unlike the USPSA head zones.

"Lets do something different, even if it makes no sense."

You've got to wonder if it started out like an actual eyebox, and then someone said "That's too much like USPSA!"  and someone else said "And that's a really small down zero box, it'll be hard to hit, we need to make it bigger, so let's just make it a circle centered in the head that still takes up most of the headbox area."

7 hours ago, Thomas H said:

...that match no known anatomy markers, unlike the USPSA head zones.

"Lets do something different, even if it makes no sense."

You've got to wonder if it started out like an actual eyebox, and then someone said "That's too much like USPSA!"  and someone else said "And that's a really small down zero box, it'll be hard to hit, we need to make it bigger, so let's just make it a circle centered in the head that still takes up most of the headbox area."

Yeah and they should have just left it alone. Seems it's just "f*#king with it to f*#k with it".

On 9/11/2017 at 3:49 PM, rowdyb said:

I think you're better off not trying to find a the reason why but to just know the rules and play within them. 

+10,000

When you know the "reasons" they will often seem nuttier than squirrel shit and that will bother you a lot more than not knowing. Think of it as a game like monopoly with arbitrary rules like "do not pass go & do not collect $200" & just play.