Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription shooting glasses

JSC

I need some advice from the sight challenged among us.  I don’t wear prescription glasses, but the last couple of years have required reading glasses for up close work.  My intention was to shoot two guns at the Crawfish Cup this year and have been working up a metallic gun.  The problem is I can’t get a clear focus on the front sight.  I tried reading glasses, which were great for the sight, but the target is just too fuzzy.  I tried taking one lens out of the readers and that kind of seems workable.   Is this basically what everyone is using?  Do you use one eye for long distance and the other for the front sight? Are you able to walking around with getting headache or fatiguing your eyes?   Sucks getting old!

That is basically what I've been doing since the 80s.  I use single prescription glasses (not bifocals) and have right eye for the front sight and normal prescription in the left eye.  Works well and I've had no problem with headaches or anything.  Some people do but if you can use the one lense readers without any problem I'd think you would be fine with a slightly more refined version.

I had my eye Dr extend the focal point out to 18". I can walk around with no problem. Front sight is clear and the target is slightly blurry. Works good. An eye Dr from VA used to have a kit for this. He would send you the kit with all the lenses and a holder. You pick the lens that give you a crystal clear front sight. The back off till you can still see a clear front sight, but a slightly blurry target. His name was Dr Tolar. He shot for the air force reserve team at Camp Perry. I stumbled onto him back in the  early 90s. Having my eye Dr extend the focal point out to 18" works the same for me. Good luck. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Lehman Optical since 1997.  He sets up your focalpoint for your front sight distance.  My last set was for shooting 50 yards for Bianchi Cup shooting.  He made me test lenses with my new prescription and send test lenses to put in front of the new lense so I could dial in what I needed for 50 yards.  Now I can see the front sight perfectly and see the lines on the target as well.  He is a wealth of knowledge. 

He doesn't do internet anything.  Call him.  He travels to all the big shotgun shoots and competes as well with his family.  Pretty neat guy!

DougC

• 4 weeks later...