Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 USPSA Multigun Rules Draft Discussion?

To those who want to know what's in these rules, the best advice I can give is to download them and read them.  (Seriously ...)  This was a comprehensive effort to take the history of perhaps a decade of "Provisional" rules and formally go through the process of getting the BoD to approve an official set of rules.  The final push on this took over two years of effort and review before they could be published.  And yes, that process included the DNROI putting them out for public comments before the final version was presented to the BoD.

If you don't want to print out and carry around a set of these rules, fine.  You really don't need to.  FWIW, I don't recall USPSA ever having made available published copies of the MG Rules for distribution or sale.  They have, to the best of my recollection, always been online only.  If you don't want to print them, then download a copy to your smartphone or tablet.  You're probably carrying that at the range with you anyway!  But I do recommend reading them ... at least once.

And yes, PCC is a 4th firearm type - not a substitute for HG or R.  Hence it is conceivable to have a "4 Gun" match for MG, or any combination of two or more of HG, R, SG, and PCC.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the entire 2018 USPSA MG rules document from cover to cover. Although I appreciate the work that the rules team put into it, and congratulate them for getting this document over the goal line, unfortunately they missed an opportunity to put USPSA at the center of multigun. They tinkered around the edges, but never really got to the heart of why USPSA multigun has failed to achieve critical mass across the nation, which is the inflexibility of the rules. It is the USPSA-way or the highway, and most of us are choosing the highway.

The reality is that MDs prefer to run outlaw matches because they want to do interesting things for their competitors that USPSA does not allow. It would have been possible for USPSA to accommodate those MDs and bring them into the fold, but alas that opportunity has been missed this time around. Before anyone asks, YES, I did send in an EXTENSIVE list of proposed changes that would make the rules much more palatable to me as an outlaw match MD, but USPSA has chosen to go in a different direction. I am disappointed, but in hindsight not really surprised; USPSA tends to look at everything through a handgun-centric prism, and to expect them to look at multigun differently was probably always too much to ask.

The good news is that the basic match administration and safety aspects that form the bedrock of USPSA MG rules remain sound (except for the new long gun provision in rule 10.5.10 and related note in 8.1.2.1... it looks like the Good Idea Fairy got a little drunk one night and slipped this one in without anyone noticing :roflol:). I thank the rules committee for giving us some stability in this area.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

UPDATE: We have noticed that the new Heavy Metal rules eliminate the rifle and handgun magazine capacity limits; rifle can presumably hold as many rounds as you wish, and handgun is limited to 140mm. Also, HM Limited now allows the rifle to wear a non-magnified optic as well as irons.

I have no particular objection to these changes, and they won't affect our outlaw matches, but those of you planning on shooting USPSA HML and HMT should be aware of your new-found freedoms :D 

Edited by StealthyBlagga