Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What BCG are you using on your AR9?

I haven't shot many matches with my current AR9 and have already encountered extractor problems and gas key screws getting sheared off.

I'm looking for reliable BCG options that will let me enjoy shooting my PCC. What do you guys recommend? 

I have the QC10, and a friend has the Kaw Valley. We tested with some primed cases and feeler gauges and found the some bolts were allowing out of battery detonations, and the Kaw Valley was one that did not and is also pretty affordable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

My match gun is Palmetto Armory AR-9 with their hybrid bolt.  This bolt had the gas key screws work loose at 6000 rds.  Replaced the screws and properly staked them.  Now just over 7000 rds run with this bolt with no additional problems.  Still running the original firing pin, extractor and springs.

Though not nearly as many rounds shot with them, I have two additional PSA bolts and a Spinta bolt.  So far no problems with any of them.

Had a Spinta that failed(gas key sheared off) early on. They replaced it and the second one did the same thing. They refunded my $ and I now have 2 JP's. One has around 6K and the other closer to 3K and both are running great.

I am intrigued by the new Taccom bolt and also the Faxon monolithic...

52 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

Had a Spinta that failed(gas key sheared off) early on. They replaced it and the second one did the same thing. They refunded my $ and I now have 2 JP's. One has around 6K and the other closer to 3K and both are running great.

I am intrigued by the new Taccom bolt and also the Faxon monolithic...

I was looking at the Taccom website and  their new BCG is indeed interesting. It is out of stock, though.

For the Faxon BCG, are you referring to the Gen 1? Their Gen 2 has a screwed on gas key.

8 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

My match gun is Palmetto Armory AR-9 with their hybrid bolt.  This bolt had the gas key screws work loose at 6000 rds.  Replaced the screws and properly staked them.  Now just over 7000 rds run with this bolt with no additional problems.  Still running the original firing pin, extractor and springs.

Though not nearly as many rounds shot with them, I have two additional PSA bolts and a Spinta bolt.  So far no problems with any of them.

What buffer set up are you using?

Hello: I am using JP and Matrix bolts. I have used a couple of KAW Valley ones also. All worked great but you have to check the gas keys to make sure they are tight. I remove them and use red LocTite to hold them in place. I am using JP buffers and also standard light setups as well. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, hiker88 said:

I was looking at the Taccom website and  their new BCG is indeed interesting. It is out of stock, though.

For the Faxon BCG, are you referring to the Gen 1? Their Gen 2 has a screwed on gas key.

I was referring to the one with the "integral" key...  Didn't realize they had abandoned it.

4 hours ago, hiker88 said:

What buffer set up are you using?

'I'm using a 5.2 ounce carbine buffer and a standard .223 carbine recoil spring.  With a 5.6 ounce buffer and .308 recoil spring my gun started doubling at just under 2000 rds with the Hiperfire 24c trigger.   Installing anti-walk/anti-rotate springs did not solve the problem.  Reducing both the spring and buffer solved the problem.  I also tried several lighter buffers and had increased dot movement.  

2 hours ago, wgj3 said:

I was referring to the one with the "integral" key...  Didn't realize they had abandoned it.

I thought the integral key on the Faxon bolt was a nice improvement (at least it solved one problem often seen in 9mm bolts).  Any ideas why it was discontinued?  I've not heard of anyone using that bolt and having problems.

3 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

'I'm using a 5.2 ounce carbine buffer and a standard .223 carbine recoil spring.  With a 5.6 ounce buffer and .308 recoil spring my gun started doubling at just under 2000 rds with the Hiperfire 24c trigger.   Installing anti-walk/anti-rotate springs did not solve the problem.  Reducing both the spring and buffer solved the problem.  I also tried several lighter buffers and had increased dot movement.  

Good info. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I thought the integral key on the Faxon bolt was a nice improvement (at least it solved one problem often seen in 9mm bolts).  Any ideas why it was discontinued?  I've not heard of anyone using that bolt and having problems.

Probably more expensive to produce? I do like the idea of the improved extractor of the Gen 2, though. Gen 3 should have the integral gas key and new extractor. ?

4 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

JP bolts, ~15,000 and ~18,000 on them and both still running. I loan my guns out at matches and have run all sorts of loads through them. We even ran 4 shooters back to back over a 250 round match suppressed. If you want reliable, buy the JP. 

Wow!

Most of these bolts are shared manufactures. Very few of these shops have the resources to design and cut their own bolts. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to see a good number of them. The PSA bolt is a great utility bolt. It's limitation is the extractor and the rear weight. The extractor, if not seated properly will extend the face and bounce on the barrel causing premature breakage. The rear weight is a limitation because you can't run any sort of captured recoil spring. I have brought this up and there is a new design in the works. I hate the gas key being screwed in too ( like most of them do ) and there is one being designed now that is a solid body with removable weight. In the defense of the breaking gas key saga, many cases were due to improper buffering. Guys would get parts, put them all together and not really knowing the difference, use a carbine spring and light buffer. It is just a 9mm right? This caused the bolt to extend too deep into the buffer tube and bang on the lower. Over time, the screws would vibrate loose, the bolt would keep battering and then they would shear. I can't blame the users. The industry should do a better job informing folks but in their defense this market came on so quick I think sometimes they didn't know either.

ADK Arms has one that has the removable weight and had the weaker extractor. The finish was great and the bolt was solid. The issue I had with it was that the fluid used in the coating process was not flushed properly and penetrated the gas key screws. It weakened them and caused premature breakage. The firing pins early on were weak so after the first batch or so they used a stronger tool steel and the issue went away. They also started coating separate and then installing the key from what I was told.

Faxon Gen 1 was great. The one piece design was much stronger. The gas key was gone however they used the same 1911 style extractor. I had early firing pin issues with them but they quickly resolved it. The Gen 2 Faxon bolt used the more traditional AR style extractor which works great. It eliminated all the issues above BUT they went back to the 2 piece design. I have used both, they both have a lot of rounds through them and they work well. The 2 also has a much stronger firing pin. I have not had one of those break.

UM Tactical has a great bolt as well. It is very similar to the Faxon.  The finish is great and it used the AR style extractor with removable gas key. This bolt was tested during the design phase of the LeadStar Barrage PCC and I hate to know how many rounds ran through it. They offer a fancy NiB BCG now that I am waiting to get my hands on. They are great folks to deal with. As a matter of fact, all of these companies are great to work with.

I have not used JP or QC10.

Right now, in my personal PCC, I am using the UM Tactical. I have 4 matches and maybe half a dozen practice sessions through it. No issues at all. The next few weeks as I get ready to go to the East Coast Steel Nationals, I will really hammer on it. If something happens I will update this post. All the ones listed above are good bolts.

Hope this helps at least on a few of them anyway... It seems like everyday someone is posting another variant of a 9mm BCG.

Hello: Some of the bolts that I have seen have actually had the gas key screws not torqued at all. You could could turn them at least a half a turn. I removed them and put some red LocTite on the screws. Problem solved. As for the pinned in weights on the buffers just remove the weight and pin and setup your buffer to suit your loads. Or just get a bolt that has no weight installed in it like the JP. Thanks, Eric

So Brownell's has CMMG 9mm bolts on sale for $169.99.  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/ar-15-m16-9mm-enhanced-bolt-carrier-group-prod27417.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=APP_9%2bmm%2bLuger Get it or not?  I'm having issues with my current set up (FTEs).  Colt style mags, CMMG upper and lower, no idea who made the BCG, Wilson barrel.