Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

College admission/scholarship and shooting sports

JusticeOfToren

Does anyone have experience or anecdotes on how shooting sport achievements are regarded in the college admission/scholarship process?  I know most colleges are pretty liberal,  but I am still curious to see if USPSA/IPSC section/area/national/world titles add any weight to a student's application. 

Thanks.

My alma mater here in Texas was a clay shooting powerhouse. I shot for them for 3 years, and then served as a faculty adviser for one year. My GF has also worked for the admissions department there for going on 3 years. 

Action shooting is not an NCAA or ACUI sport, and as such shooting achievements in this discipline will be considered FAR after GPA and extracurricular involvement. Sure, between two students of equal caliber (pun intended), participating in and showing mastery of an uncommon sport or skill will probably make you more desirable and tip the scales in your favor. Having worked behind the scenes in academia, I don't think anyone would look down on you for being a shooter but it's of questionable worth unless you're trying out for one of their shooting teams. 

If you have the option to include a video with an application like @George Jones, go for it even if it's just a Bill Drill at 7 yards. Just focus on the skill and discipline involved; don't fill it with political or overly-patriotic themes.

If you happen to be an accomplished shooter in a discipline that matters at a collegiate level (bullseye pistol or rifle, or clay shooting), absolutely include that. You'll probably get funneled through the sports-recruiting process and that'll greatly increase your chances of acceptance even with mediocre academics. 

tl;dr: Don't count on it making a difference if you aren't already academically competitive

• 4 weeks later...

Personally since it is not an NCAA sport and can't "help" the school in any real way I would ommit it. Unless the school has a bullseye team and you're a strong bullseye shooter I would not make any mention of shooting sports. 

Especially if you are applying to a public university I would leave it off your resume/application. 

My son's common app essay question was to discuss an accomplishment that marked his transition from childhood into adulthood within a community. He wrote about how he felt the first time he beat me in a head-to-head steel plate match. It was an awesome essay, brought a tear to my eye.
He got accepted to WPI, in MA. But I doubt his essay had anything to do with it.

• 1 year later...

Look professional, look mature, avoid some hot button key words. Success, maturity, growth and personal development can be viewed from all sorts of non traditional areas. Of course, know your audience. Applying to UC Berkley? Probably skip it.

Olympic shooting will raise no eyebrows. Shooting that is common with scholastic programs will raise no eyebrows.

Edited by rowdyb

• 3 weeks later...

The U of Kentucky has a pretty successful rifle team..I am unaware of a pistol team. Eastern Kentucky U had a IDPA type pistol team shooting something competitive with nearby universities. Not sure the current status. I know they offered no full scholarships but some partials. They never were very good.

Don't think NCAA is likely to offer action pistol unless Olympics accept the sport which is not likely.

The university of Florida has a good action shooting team and program. Their team usually comes over and shoots at our local matches. I think a saw one of the members of the team sign in to benos last year.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, George16 said:

The university of Florida has a good action shooting team and program. Their team usually comes over and shoots at our local matches. I think a saw one of the members of the team sign in to benos last year.

That's awesome to hear as I'm a Gator (1992).  

Do they offer any scholarships to the team members?

-John

• 2 weeks later...