Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max OAL bullet for CZ 75 TS .40?

Dlister70

I typically load at 1.135", and I remember that when I initially got the gun that it seemed to not feed reliably for anything past 1.145".

However, I recently shot a friend's .40 loads and he had them loaded to 1.170" for his 2011 and they ran fine in my CZ!  I thought that was too long for a CZ, but I haven't really tried anything else since I first got the gun, and it was my first .40, so I haven't done extensive testing.  Maybe I just screwed up on my initial tests when the 1.145" was failing, but this got me wondering just how long you could load for a TS.

I've got Grams followers on the mags if that makes a difference.

The long ammo that ran in my .40 2011, will chamber in my TSO, but won't eject when I rack the slide. With the bullet still in the case, it won't come out of the ejection port. I have to pull the mag out to get the round out. I shortened them up and they work fine. I will get a measurement when I get home.

My TS and TSO load is 1.137 with 200gr Bayou. I am also using Grams followers and get 20 or 21 in a mag.

Longer may be possible, but this has worked well (feeds well and is accurate enough) for about 30k rounds.

1 hour ago, Superpipe9 said:

I'm running the blue bullet 180gr RN at 1.145OAL and have had no issues at all. If you want to try the blue bullets use (moser) as a coupon code and it will save you some money 

Thanks for the coupon code!  I do need to order some more blue bullets.  Currently running the 200 grain.

1.135" has worked fine for me for me, I was just curious as I've always seen the CZ recipes going shorter than the 2011 guys, and several times seen that longer bullets wouldn't work.  I was just surprised that it worked at all!

17 hours ago, Dlister70 said:

Thanks for the coupon code!  I do need to order some more blue bullets.  Currently running the 200 grain.

1.135" has worked fine for me for me, I was just curious as I've always seen the CZ recipes going shorter than the 2011 guys, and several times seen that longer bullets wouldn't work.  I was just surprised that it worked at all!

Do you know if maybe your CTS was reamed?

I was told a long time ago that if I loaded to 1.126" for my TS 40, I'd have no trouble with feeding or mags.  It has proven to be true.  Some bullet profiles were troublesome when loaded to 1.135", but everything seems to work at 1.126"..  That includes various SWC, RN, FP and RNF.  I wish my 2011 40s were so accommodating.

I was able to chamber my friends 2011 ammo loaded at 1.120 using 180 xtreme RN but the round was too long for the magazine. I manually dropped it in the barrel and was able to close the slide.

Edited by Ck867

• 4 weeks later...

I have Grams followers in my extended magazines, loaded at 1.11"+.  I was getting a lot of mis-feeds with them at longer lengths in my Tactical Sport Orange (.40), it seems to have stopped the issue, I will find out today.  However, last night when I was emptying magazines I discovered that when I was pushing the rounds out of the magazine with my thumb that the front of the case was hitting the top edge of the magazine.  This is exactly what it seemed like when it was mis-feeding during match stages (sucked).  Has anyone had this issue? How did you solve it?

Edited by kaibabcowboy
insert caliber

I am loading Acme 180gr to 1.165. The rounds are close to max mag length, chamber, and still eject. I only have 1k rounds through the gun but it's been flawless. I'm running SP extensions and Grams kits. The Acme bullets are flat nosed so that probably helps a little but long rounds are no issue in this gun. I imagine there is some variation in throating so other guns may have shorter leads.

Frankly, if this gun were like my Shadow with a super short lead I'd ream it out too. I find loading heavy loads longer result in less reject issues with mixed brass. 40SW is pretty easy to reload though.

• 2 weeks later...

CZ .40 guns are not short-chambered the way their 9mm pistols are.  

BUT a 1911 and 2011 may be cut longer than standard, because the body and magazine dimensions are for .45.

As to: 

On 9/1/2017 at 1:29 PM, Dlister70 said:

I typically load at 1.135", and I remember that when I initially got the gun that it seemed to not feed reliably for anything past 1.145".

There are two limits to OAL -- the magazine max, which is pretty much static, and the max your bullet will load to, which changes from bullet to bullet.  If you have a practice of "I load to 1.XYZ for my TS," or any other gun, then you're leaving a step out of the reloading process, where you determine what your max OAL is with every bullet model you develop loads with.