Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 not resetting in double action during dry fire.

himurax13

Recently, one of my shadows (Type 3 Disco, CZ Comp Hammer, old 85 Combat Trigger, 11.5# mainspring) has developed an issue.

When I am dry firing in double action, the trigger does not always fully reset. It works fine in single action though. At first I thought I needed to fit the disco a little more but the single action reset is a bit further than my other Shadow and it used to work fine previously.

I am a little tired right now so I figured I might be missing something simple.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure the trigger bar lifter spring is fully in grooves of the bar. Sometimes it gets out of the alignment (During the cleaning of the gun for example) . You may even have to bend it a little. It happened to me a few times. I remember there was a thread in the past addressing this situation as well

3 hours ago, eerw said:

so gun used to work and doenst work now?

how frequent? occasional or all the time?

Yes. It has been a while since I have used this frame though, maybe like 2 years.

1 out of 10 pulls it won't reset.

Edited by himurax13

2 hours ago, cheby said:

Make sure the trigger bar lifter spring is fully in grooves of the bar. Sometimes it gets out of the alignment (During the cleaning of the gun for example) . You may even have to bend it a little. It happened to me a few times. I remember there was a thread in the past addressing this situation as well

I eliminated this possibility last night.

3 hours ago, cheby said:

So what was the problem?

I'm going to say it was his trigger bar spring. 

There's no fitting the DA of a disco, only SA to make it reset, fit, etc. The wing is pushed back by the trigger bar, then it rides up as the trigger bar slides under and off, breaking the DA shot. 

Also, a weak trigger return spring or dirty gun can get you silly in DA reset.

23 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

I'm going to say it was his trigger bar spring. 

There's no fitting the DA of a disco, only SA to make it reset, fit, etc. The wing is pushed back by the trigger bar, then it rides up as the trigger bar slides under and off, breaking the DA shot. 

Also, a weak trigger return spring or dirty gun can get you silly in DA reset.

1. Nope, as I stated earlier, I eliminated that possibility first.

2. Incorrect. See picture for details.

3. I replaced the trigger spring with a new one and it did not change anything.3d4b06db00d8a3903ed0fc817d7087b0.jpg

I fit my trigger bars to the disco, but I do cut an angle on the wing and maybe some other material if necessary.

I just swapped the trigger and trigger bar with one of my other frames and it worked fine.

Edited by himurax13

4 hours ago, himurax13 said:

1. Nope, as I stated earlier, I eliminated that possibility first.

2. Incorrect. See picture for details.

3. I replaced the trigger spring with a new one and it did not change anything.3d4b06db00d8a3903ed0fc817d7087b0.jpg

I fit my trigger bars to the disco, but I do cut an angle on the wing and maybe some other material if necessary.

I just swapped the trigger and trigger bar with one of my other frames and it worked fine.

Pro tip - if you break the wing on the disco, you're  not tuning your gun right, and your DA hammer strike will be shorter. 

Edited by SoCalShooter69

On 8/31/2017 at 5:50 PM, himurax13 said:

Wut? Seriously?

Cutting an angle on the wing advances the timing of the disconnector. The hammer drops sooner in the DA stroke which could mean before the hammer is fully back.

7 hours ago, 858 said:

Cutting an angle on the wing advances the timing of the disconnector. The hammer drops sooner in the DA stroke which could mean before the hammer is fully back.

OK, it makes sense when you state it like that. 

I only make a few swipes to break the edge on a Type 3. I rarely have to take off any additional material for the double action stroke.

Edited by himurax13

3 hours ago, himurax13 said:

OK, it makes sense when you state it like that. 

I only make a few swipes to break the edge on a Type 3. I rarely have to take off any additional material for the double action stroke.

My point is that you shouldn't be breaking the wing at all... 

As I'm sure you're inclined not to believe me, since you keep telling me I'm incorrect, but you want that wing at a crisp 90*. If your gun is tuned CORRECTLY, take a little material off the top part of the disco to get it to sit a little higher under the sear cage. We're only talking .008" (if that), give or take. That will give the trigger bar the clearance it needs to fall below the wing, while still keeping a crisp, deep, and solid DA stroke. Making any modification to the wing will give you an early, and short(er) stroke in DA. That's a fact. And I'd throw that instructional picture away, it isn't very good advice. 

Good luck.

1 hour ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

My point is that you shouldn't be breaking the wing at all... 

As I'm sure you're inclined not to believe me, since you keep telling me I'm incorrect, but you want that wing at a crisp 90*. If your gun is tuned CORRECTLY, take a little material off the top part of the disco to get it to sit a little higher under the sear cage. We're only talking .008" (if that), give or take. That will give the trigger bar the clearance it needs to fall below the wing, while still keeping a crisp, deep, and solid DA stroke. Making any modification to the wing will give you an early, and short(er) stroke in DA. That's a fact. And I'd throw that instructional picture away, it isn't very good advice. 

Good luck.

That instructional picture comes from CGW...

22 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I would think that David + Scott at CGW know what they're doing considering their experience with modifying CZs.

There is no CZ disco on the market that should need to have the wing modified. You're inappropriately changing the timing. It's incorrect. If Zeus shot a lightning bolt down with a message that said mod the wing... you still shouldn't do it. The proper way is to remove a slight about of material from the top of the disco in order for it to sit higher under the sear cage. The keeps the timing the same but allows for a proper break in DA. Is a stroke breaks too soon, you modify the nose of the disco to give it more time on the bar. 

So, while I wish you the best in whichever method you choose, the fact remains, and will always remain - you should never break the wing on a CZ disco. Ever. 

12 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

There is no CZ disco on the market that should need to have the wing modified. You're inappropriately changing the timing. It's incorrect. If Zeus shot a lightning bolt down with a message that said mod the wing... you still shouldn't do it. The proper way is to remove a slight about of material from the top of the disco in order for it to sit higher under the sear cage. The keeps the timing the same but allows for a proper break in DA. Is a stroke breaks too soon, you modify the nose of the disco to give it more time on the bar. 

So, while I wish you the best in whichever method you choose, the fact remains, and will always remain - you should never break the wing on a CZ disco. Ever. 

I'm curious about this.  This may sound like a stupid question - but when you say top of the disco, are you referring to the red area as shown in the picture below? Or are you referring to the nose tip of the wedge?

yZwDJR3m.jpg

Edited by jinn707