Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new sand bag

CPD7119

This might look silly but it's free and works just fine for me. Granted I don't shoot matches, I just do long distance varmint hunting and punch paper/ring steel.  I use a large sock, usually a heavy winter sock that has seen its better days.  Take a small garbage bag, stuff it in the sock and pour in the sand, tie up the bag then tie up the sock top it off with a couple wraps of electrical tape and you're good to go.  I probably have a dozen of these in different sizes and they work well.  The plastic keeps the sand from getting wet or leaking through the sock. If I were to shoot a match I might invest in a real bag, but for now this works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a set of 3 today from phantom precision tactical. I looked at wiebad but these are cheaper and he is local to me and current military. I have been using his bags for about a year now by borrowing my buddies but figured I should own my own.

I like the barricade bag he has a lot and also bought his version of the game changer.

I have a reasor precision game changer, and its a nice barricade bag.

i also have a couple rifles only bags, and some wiebads.

For just static prone (i really dont shoot that position frequently anymore) the rifles only bags work fine. No need to spend a ton on a bag designed for barricade gaming, when you’lre literally using it as a rudimentary door stop for your gun.

Want a heavy one or light and want one you can make yourself or you want to buy one?

Making them yourself is fairly simple. Go to a fabric store get a water resistant canvas type material and shoe-goo glue.

Cut the fabric so you have two equal size pieces. You put them inside to inside and shoe-goo three sides of it.

Let it dry/cure. Then fill to your desired firmness with the plastic beads you get from craft stores they sell to fill stuffed beanie babies type dolls.

Once its full to your liking seal the 4th edge with shoe-goo.

The beads won't absorb water so if you're shooting on a rainy day you'll be ok and they're a heck of a lot lighter than sand so you can carry it and run/gun with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a great LR Rifle course at K&M preision in middle TN (Home of Dolly Parton and Hickock45).  21 students and everybody had a different bag and most picked up new ones at the shop onsite. All Armageddon gear.

I think (and I am by no means an expert) it depends on your shooting style and how high you sit on the gun when prone. if you get super low with min bipod you don't need much under the stock to keep things steady and on target. If you are a bigger fella and you use more bipod you might need a taller rear bag.

I still haven't found the right bag for me but that mostly reflects the fact that I need to nail down my position building and stop dicking around with my equipment.

On 9/3/2017 at 6:23 AM, Tacticalpanda said:

Armageddon gear xwing.  Atraches to the rifle.   Convenient if you constantly forget your bag on stages or stages where you move.  And if you just shoot prone just nice to have. 

Ditto this one. I use it for all types of positions and a lot at the range for load testing.

• 8 months later...

Short Action Precision makes a very nice light rear bag. Three different side heights for different situations and has a quick release strap to keep it connected to your gun. I own two, they are great. I also have a GameChanger and it is very nice as well but more of a barricade (general use) front bag. Good luck. 

Game changer, it is the only bag you need. I use mine as a rear bag and for barricades. Don’t have to worry about the extra weight of more bags. Definitely a size fits all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...