Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bumped to open...time for new mags

kcobean

At Area 8 last weekend I got bumped to open division because the magazine I provided at Chrono was maybe .5mm too long. Funny thing is, it's the exact same mag I've used at Chrono at every major for the last 2+ years and it's always passed.  I'm told that after repeated drops, the Dawson basepads can deform enough that the slot the mag lips sit in loosens up and the spring pushes the whole basepad down, causing the OAL to increase.  

So time to either order new basepads or new mags.  I've heard mixed reviews on the MBX mags, and I think I've heard that STI has a new magazine out.  Curious to hear what people recommend based on their experience.

Or buy a mag gauge and adjust a mag that doesn't gauge.  One mag gauge costs about the same as a single basepad and spring....

now if you need need an excuse to buy new mags, that's definitely the "best" approach!

I don't know how to "adjust" a mag that's suddenly too long short of sanding material off the bottom of the basepad.  I'm hesitant to replace the tubes this close to Nationals (I have two majors in September, NC state and nationals) because they work with my gun 100% of the time.

i have grams,tt and dawson pads in my 40 sti mags.   the dawson do deform after quite a few drops as do the TT .   the best are the grams and you might lose a round its pretty much 100% will fit the guage with room to spare.  i have found the base pad has no real effect on function other than capacity 

A little birdie told me MBX mags were failing the gauge at area 8.

Edit: I don't mean to sound like ALL MBX mags failed, but I understand a lot of people who failed had MBX mags.

Edited by darkvibe

I agree that having a gauge will help whether you buy your own or borrow one.  I was at A8 as well.  I check all my mags before a major match as the RO at chrono just grabbed a full mag from my belt without waiting for me to provide my empty mag.  It's cheap insurance from getting bumped to open.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:39 AM, drewbeck said:

Or buy a mag gauge and adjust a mag that doesn't gauge.  One mag gauge costs about the same as a single basepad and spring....

now if you need need an excuse to buy new mags, that's definitely the "best" approach!

AND take your OFFICIAL USPSA  mag gauge with you... if your mag doesn't fit in their gauge but fits in yours and they are both marked "OFFICIAL USPSA" there is a helluva good argument to throw out their mag gauge. I got bumped to not for score because i shoot open ;)

23 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Had it happen to me at a level 2. Had grip tape on Dawson pad.

+1 My tuned mags w/Dawson S.N.L.+1 will pass. But once I add grip tape, they no longer fit the gauge.

But I did file down back of mag lips ever so slightly, for extra assurance.

1 hour ago, 3gunDQ said:

AND take your OFFICIAL USPSA  mag gauge with you... if your mag doesn't fit in their gauge but fits in yours and they are both marked "OFFICIAL USPSA" there is a helluva good argument to throw out their mag gauge. I got bumped to not for score because i shoot open ;)

We had two gauges.  We wanted to avoid any issues with "its that Gauge", No it was both of them...

This brings up the "lay the mag on the gauge unassisted?", or "hold the mag against the gauge?" 

If the person checking does the latter, the "deformation" of the base pad won't matter.  Some of my mags need to be held against the gauge, to take the spring pressure and slack out of the base pad.  They've been checked that way at multiple majors, and never had an issue.   I've also been running the same TTI base pads for over 3 years, and they have not deformed at all. 

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

This brings up the "lay the mag on the gauge unassisted?", or "hold the mag against the gauge?" 

If the person checking does the latter, the "deformation" of the base pad won't matter.  Some of my mags need to be held against the gauge, to take the spring pressure and slack out of the base pad.  They've been checked that way at multiple majors, and never had an issue.   I've also been running the same TTI base pads for over 3 years, and they have not deformed at all. 

But how is that allowed when the rules prohibit it?

"The magazine shall be placed into the gauge without any force or depression. It

must lie so that the back of the magazine is flush against the gauge. The follower may be depressed to ensure proper fit."

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

But how is that allowed when the rules prohibit it?

"The magazine shall be placed into the gauge without any force or depression. It

must lie so that the back of the magazine is flush against the gauge. The follower may be depressed to ensure proper fit."

Your guess is a good as mine.  But I've been checked at a bunch of majors.  Never had and issue.  I've watched a LOT of mags be gauged this way. 
Even at World Shoot they will pass mags that way. 

I'm not saying build your mags with the intent that they have to be pressed into the gauge, but I don't sweat it if they need finger pressure just because of slack in the base pad. 

Your guess is a good as mine.  But I've been checked at a bunch of majors.  Never had and issue.  I've watched a LOT of mags be gauged this way. 
Even at World Shoot they will pass mags that way. 

I'm not saying build your mags with the intent that they have to be pressed into the gauge, but I don't sweat it if they need finger pressure just because of slack in the base pad. 
That is pretty bad advice in my opinion. The rules are very clear in how mags should be gauged. Telling people "if they fit the gauge if you push them don't worry about it, they will pass you" is directly in opposition to how the rules are written.

Getting anecdotally lucky by having people not do that at majors for you doesn't mean it's good practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just now, Gooldylocks said:

That is pretty bad advice in my opinion. The rules are very clear in how mags should be gauged. Telling people "if they fit the gauge if you push them don't worry about it, they will pass you" is directly in opposition to how the rules are written.

Getting anecdotally lucky by having people not do that at majors for you doesn't mean it's good practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Where did I tell anyone that? 

Actually, I specifically said "I'm not saying build your mags with the intent that they have to be pressed into the gauge". 

Its hardly anecdotal.  I've been using the same mags for years.  Been checked a lot, have had Troy there when I've been checked, have discussed it with him.  I've passed/ know others that have passed at Nats this way, IPSC nats, WS, etc.... 

Again, I'm not advocating building mags that have to be stuffed into the gauge.  But like I previously stated, "I" don't sweat my mags that have some slack in the base pad.  They are tried and tested.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:22 AM, kcobean said:

At Area 8 last weekend I got bumped to open division because the magazine I provided at Chrono was maybe .5mm too long. Funny thing is, it's the exact same mag I've used at Chrono at every major for the last 2+ years and it's always passed.  I'm told that after repeated drops, the Dawson basepads can deform enough that the slot the mag lips sit in loosens up and the spring pushes the whole basepad down, causing the OAL to increase.  

So time to either order new basepads or new mags.  I've heard mixed reviews on the MBX mags, and I think I've heard that STI has a new magazine out.  Curious to hear what people recommend based on their experience.

8 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

The follower may be depressed to ensure proper fit."

Area 8 seems to have scxxxxed the pooch!

How pray tell do you depress the follower without pushing on the mag.

Large contingent of guys I know will not be going back.

Seems like there should have been some more thought involved when "so many" mags with standard set ups "where oversize!"

12 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Area 8 seems to have scxxxxed the pooch!

How pray tell do you depress the follower without pushing on the mag.

Large contingent of guys I know will not be going back.

Seems like there should have been some more thought involved when "so many" mags with standard set ups "where oversize!"

Really?

Let's see here we had two Gauges because one was not enough and wanted to ensure we did not have a Faulty gauge, but I guess that is not good enough and you felt the need to slander the match, thanks Neil.

Sorry we won't see you next year.