Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A scope for 2 rifles

barrysuperhawk

So I have this idea, its probably bad, but here goes.  I have this really nice 34mm tube scope, that I want to use both on a bolt gun and a 308 AR  

The bolt gun has an EGW 20 moa rail and an adjustable cheek pad, and the AR has a DPMS high upper receiver.  My idea is to get a nice set of QR rings that are compatible with both rifles, since they're both full Picatinny rails, and set it up in such a way that I can remove the scope from one and put it on the other.

Obviously I'll have to zero on each and then note what scope adjustments I need to make when switching back and forth, and I realize that two quick release rings are never going to be as rock solid and repeatable as say a one-piece mount, but on the other hand it's not like I have an extra 3 Grand to buy a second one of the scopes for something can I shoot a couple of times a year.

So, does this seem like a workable plan? As a follow-up, can anyone suggest a good reference for what height rings I need? It doesn't seem like every ring manufacturer rates there products the same so it's very hard to compare. 

Edited by barrysuperhawk

The hard part is gonna be getting a set of rings that work on both, i suspect you will need different heights.  I would get 2 sets of rings and just transfer the scope. Get rings that are not the split type of course, and you can leave the bottom half of the ring in place on the rail.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

3 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

So, does this seem like a workable plan? 

Its worked for me.  I have a Rem 700 Varmint Special in 25-06 that I rarely shoot.  It has a nice 6-18x scope with split rings.  

Whenever I do accuracy testing on another gun, I pull that scope off the Remington and install it on the new gun.  I hope to use it soon testing a 9mm PCC barrel at 100 yards.  Every time its moved, I first bore sight it in, then test fire at 20 yards.  After that its usually on paper at 100+ yards.

It will be doable but a huge pain in the ass. In my opinion I would pick which rifle you use the most and out the scope on that rifle full time and find another good quality scope for the other, doesn't have to be the same $3k scope but there are plenty of more affordable options for a rifle you don't use often.

Sounds like a bigger headache than it would be worth...depending on how many times you wanted to shoot the 308 ar. If you didn't already have a rail on your bolt gun I'd say you could mount the scope to a quick detach rail from larue or something similar and mark its location on each rifle.

I would probably save my pennies and buy a second scope it would be much easier. Let us know what you decide to do you have me curious now.

I have a nice scope that I use for accuracy testing as well, I keep it mounted on my "long range" .308 but it's a big PITA.  Mostly because of re-mounting the scope and re-zeroing, I don't trust my previous data sheets.  It should all fall back into place once I have my 100 yard "0" but I don't trust it until I take it back out and stretch its legs.  I can shoot 200 yds on my property, but I like to take it out to7-800 before I trust using previous data.   In my opinion, leave your scope on your preferred rifle and buy another scope.  There are plenty of options that are "good" for $3-500 Burris, Nikon, leupold, come to mind. 

14 hours ago, Balwolley said:

<snip>...rifle and buy another scope.  There are plenty of options that are "good" for $3-500 Burris, Nikon, leupold, come to mind. 

I have plenty of mediocre glass, actually, this one piece of high quality glass is replacing 3 "lower end" scopes...and that is exactly my purpose...

Right now I am looking at the ADM low quick release mount, or the Warne quick release rings, but I want to get scope and rifles together and measure before I order...

Does anyone besides ADM make a low profile QR mount?

Edited by barrysuperhawk

What's the scope exactly?  If it's a 34mm it's probably a high mag scope with a 50+ mm bell.  You'll want something that's at least 1.5" height over rail.  The ADM's are proven, reliable and cost effective.  If you want to go all out, I'd recommend a Spuhr.  I've got one on my Desert Tech SRS and it's awesome.  You won't be able to use separate rings since you most like will not have enough rail space on your AR to get adequate eye relief.  I don't recommend putting any part of the scope mount on the handguard picatinny rail if you care about maintaining the best accuracy/precision.

Which bolt gun do you have?  Since you have an adjustable cheek pad, it's doable, you'll just be adding an extra half an inch to the scopes height over bore.  Most traditional bolt guns use around 1" tall +/- .020" depending on the scope and cant (you mention you have a 20 MOA).  Most people want the bell of the scope to almost touch the barrel. As long as your fine with the high scope look, you'll be good.  

As long as you pay attention to which part of the rail you mount it on and don't change the torque of the quick releases then I think you'll be within 0.5 to 1 MOA. If this is mainly for shooting at a range and don't care about 1st round hits (let's  assume cold bore isn't in play) your plan is good. 

You'll most likely be doing a lot of elevation adjustment between the two since one has a 20 MOA rail.  Remember if you get a mount with cant, you'll need to add that to the rail cant.  with a 34mm scope, you should have enough adjustment for 40 MOA so you should be fine getting a 20 MOA cant scope mount.  Unless you're shooting over 1500 yards, i'd stick with a 0 cant scope mount.

Thinking about this more, I'm thinking the added eye relief of a cantilevered scope mount will give too much eye relief on your bolt gun. If this is the case, I'd recommend two separate scopes.

Edited by FunkyTownAggie
added more info

The 2 guns are a high profile DPMS .308 upper and a long action Savage.  The high profile upper was what gave me the idea because it takes regular height rings, and I have a plan for the MOA difference, too.  Back in the day before mil-dots or ranging reticles became popular one thing a shooter could do is zero the top post of the 30/30 reticle at 100 yards.  That would give the shooter a poor mans BDC with 3 aiming points, the top, the cross and the bottom post.  Then all one had to do is figure out what ranges the other two points corresponded to.  Not perfect, but in some cases much more accurate than trying to dial the elevation  - especially with a cheaper scope that would hold zero but not track especially well or did not have turrets.

The 20 moa rail on the bolt gun is the is the key.  Lets pretend that in my magical world both of these guns are 100% mechanically identical (no, really, pretend) the difference between the zeros will be 20MOA.  Thus with this reticle:

sub_rzr-g2_f_45-27x56_ebr-2c_moa-t.jpg

a dead center zero for the DPMS ought to be mechanically identical to the 20 MOA line (just above the <--.75 in the picture)  Thus, with a bit of testing, I should be able to figure out roughly where my zeros are, and be able to dial myself at least on paper without a shot after I test the swap and shoot a couple of times.  Neither of these are go-to-war guns and if I ever find a competition for them, I will be well and verified on my zero long before my cold bore shot.

The biggest problem I see would be that in a bolt action you can use regular rings while in an AR you most likely need a canteliver type mount to get proper eye relief with a long scope so if you are set on using the same scope on both rifles you might be better of leaving the mounts on the rifle and swapping just the scope but that sounds like a headache imo

Edited by Eviljarv

On 8/29/2017 at 10:45 AM, RiggerJJ said:

The hard part is gonna be getting a set of rings that work on both, i suspect you will need different heights.  I would get 2 sets of rings and just transfer the scope. Get rings that are not the split type of course, and you can leave the bottom half of the ring in place on the rail.

jj

20 hours ago, Eviljarv said:

The biggest problem I see would be that in a bolt action you can use regular rings while in an AR you most likely need a canteliver type mount to get proper eye relief with a long scope so if you are set on using the same scope on both rifles you might be better of leaving the mounts on the rifle and swapping just the scope but that sounds like a headache imo