Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV310 Load Data with 165 gr 9mm

rpm8300

All,
I've had a few people ask me about shooting 165 9mm bullets with VV310 - here is some of my data.  Let me start out by saying 165s aren't as accurate as 147s at the same PF with VV310 in SOME pistols, in others its identical.  To me it is a softer shooting load but lots of people feel like its 'slow' or 'clunky.'

All of this is with 165 gr Xtreme Plated and VV310 with Fed SPP.  The Xtremes are not very consistent on length due to the tip of the bullet so the OALs are averages.

G34 OEM Barrel: 2.6 gr, 1.155, 780 avg FPS at 128 PF.

Stock 2 OEM Barrel: 2.6 gr, 1.155, 794 avg FPS at 131 PF.

Sig X5 OEM Barrel: 2.8 gr, 1.155, 775 avg FPS at 127 PF.

The Sig and Stock 2 will produce under 2" groups at 20 yrds from a rest - the G34 is between 2-3". 

Send your questions and have fun with the sandbagging heavy 9mm bullets.

Tom

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, Ken6PPC said:

Do you have any data to share using VV310 with Blue Bullets 150's?  

I would love to use VV310 instead of Titegroup, because VV310 shoots so clean, and Titegroup is so DIRTY!  

Sorry I dont , but I'll say in my experience all of my Blues shoot about 20 fps faster than my plated. 

On August 29, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Ken6PPC said:

Do you have any data to share using VV310 with Blue Bullets 150's?  

I would love to use VV310 instead of Titegroup, because VV310 shoots so clean, and Titegroup is so DIRTY!  

I load Everglades 147 plated with Titegroup then did some testing with VV310.  The load data for VV310 is the same as Titegroup.  Same PF and fps.  

3.2gr VV310 @ 1.150 with Everglades 147gr plated - 129pf

Glock 34 MOS with S3F barrel.  My barrels seems to be slow compared to any other barrel.  So start where you need to.

I loaded some 147 Blue RN (actually weigh 150) with 2.8 gr., 2.9 gr., and 3.0 gr. of VV310.  I'm hoping those powder charges will stabilize the bullets, but they may not...  In any case, they shouldn't get me in trouble!  LOL!  

I'll come back and update this thread with how they shot.  

(OT)

I used to load 38 Special and 45 ACP with N310, but got nervous because there's so little room for error with such fast burning powders. Went for N320 in 9mm Minor and 45 Major - and much slower to make Major in my Revolver.

(/OT)

Ive tried N310 under coated 147's, stupid soft but couldn't get accuracy worth a crap, looked more like a shot gun pattern than a group, this out of an XDM 5.25.  Maybe I should load some more up and try them in my CZ's.

9 hours ago, perttime said:

(OT)

I used to load 38 Special and 45 ACP with N310, but got nervous because there's so little room for error with such fast burning powders. Went for N320 in 9mm Minor and 45 Major - and much slower to make Major in my Revolver.

(/OT)

True, there is little room for error with such fast powder.  However, VV N310 meters SO precisely, the level of danger is somewhat diminished. 

Also, I am charging off-press, so I get to examine all charged cases before seating bullets.  

I agree that N320 is probably a better choice for 9mm, but N310 is what I currently have on hand, and I think it should work OK. 

I shot a few rounds loaded with N310 today!  

DISCLAIMER:  VV does not recommend the use of N310 with 147 grain bullets in 9mm.  The only data they list for N310 in this cartridge is for 90 grain bullets.  If you decide to load this powder and bullet combination, you do so at your OWN RISK!  Proceed with caution!  

Common to all VV N310 loads listed below - 9mm Luger, R-P cases, CCI 500 primers, 147 gr Blue Bullets (these bullets weigh ~150 grains avg), seated to 1.120" O.A.L., crimped to 0.377", fired from 4.7" (standard barrel) CZ SP-01 Accu-Shadow rested on sandbags, fps measured using Oehler Model 35P set eight feet from the muzzle, with blast shield at 3 ft.  Temperature was 81*F, with 60% Rh.  

VV N310 - 2.8 grains - 859 fps Max, 839 fps Min, 850 Avg, 128 PF (calculated at 150 grain bullet weight)  

VV N310 - 2.9 grains - 872 fps Max, 865 fps Min, 868 Avg, 130 PF (calculated at 150 grain bullet weight)  

VV N310 - 3.0 grains - 889 fps Max, 874 fps Min, 883 Avg, 132 PF (calculated at 150 grain bullet weight)  

* These results were all VERY uniform, possibly because of the limited sample size, but also possibly because of the great volumetric metering properties of N310.  (It throws GREAT from my RCBS powder measure!)  

* No signs of excessive pressure that I could tell. 

* Primers looked normal, slight sooty deposit on outside of cases.  (Fairly typical of low charges of very fast powder...)  

* Not tested for accuracy at this point - I was just trying to see if pressures and velocities seemed in "normal" range.  

* I would be hesitant to load much higher than 3.0 grains, because pressure could spike unpredictably at some point with this fast powder.  Plus, I'm already above min PF of 125, so no need to go higher...  

* I have to wonder how temperature changes might affect these loads...  

I will test these loads for accuracy during one of my next range trips.  

14 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

True, there is little room for error with such fast powder.  However, VV N310 meters SO precisely, the level of danger is somewhat diminished. 

... ...

DISCLAIMER:  VV does not recommend the use of N310 with 147 grain bullets in 9mm.  The only data they list for N310 in this cartridge is for 90 grain bullets.  If you decide to load this powder and bullet combination, you do so at your OWN RISK!  Proceed with caution!  

I, too, recall it metered precisely - and I used it with the measure on my Dillon SDB, weighing charges occasionally. N320 seems to measure great too, and 3N37. I have a small package of N340 now, and for some reason it doesn't measure quite as accurately. N340 granules look a little longer; maybe that is the reason.

Well, I'm not chief#1, but I'll tell you what I use in 45acp. 

4.2 grains of VV N310 with a 230 grain XTreme plated RN, seated to 1.250".  Makes major PF in my 5" 1911, but very clean and soft-shooting.    

Edited by Ken6PPC
typo...

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, Ken6PPC said:

Also, I am charging off-press, so I get to examine all charged cases before seating bullets.  

I agree that N320 is probably a better choice for 9mm, but N310 is what I currently have on hand, and I think it should work OK. 

I shot a few rounds loaded with N310 today!  

Common to all VV N310 loads listed below - 9mm Luger, R-P cases, CCI 500 primers, 147 gr Blue Bullets (these bullets weigh ~150 grains avg), seated to 1.120" O.A.L., crimped to 0.377", fired from 4.7" (standard barrel) CZ SP-01 Accu-Shadow rested on sandbags, fps measured using Oehler Model 35P set eight feet from the muzzle, with blast shield at 3 ft.  Temperature was 81*F, with 60% Rh.  

VV N310 - 2.8 grains - 859 fps Max, 839 fps Min, 850 Avg, 128 PF (calculated at 150 grain bullet weight)  

VV N310 - 2.9 grains - 872 fps Max, 865 fps Min, 868 Avg, 130 PF (calculated at 150 grain bullet weight)  

VV N310 - 3.0 grains - 889 fps Max, 874 fps Min, 883 Avg, 132 PF (calculated at 150 grain bullet weight)  

* These results were all VERY uniform, possibly because of the limited sample size, but also possibly because of the great volumetric metering properties of N310.  (It throws GREAT from my RCBS powder measure!)  

* No signs of excessive pressure that I could tell. 

* Primers looked normal, slight sooty deposit on outside of cases.  (Fairly typical of low charges of very fast powder...)  

* Not tested for accuracy at this point - I was just trying to see if pressures and velocities seemed in "normal" range.  

* I would be hesitant to load much higher than 3.0 grains, because pressure could spike unpredictably at some point with this fast powder.  Plus, I'm already above min PF of 125, so no need to go higher...  

* I have to wonder how temperature changes might affect these loads...  

I will test these loads for accuracy during one of my next range trips.  

Thanks for your input and data.

To reiterate your comments - YES - its true, N310 is less forgiving than N320 and other powders, but it is the most precise powder I have ever used and as long as you are paying attention, its safe.