Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered 185's for 45 ACP and was planning on using Clays...Mistake?

12glocks

I mostly shoot 3 gun but just had an old Colt 1911 gone through and want to run some single stack in IPSA.  I had read the reloading section here and thought Clays would be a good choice.  I have about 10 pounds left over from my shotgun days.  I ordered 2000 185 JHP's from Precision Delta and I am now questioning myself.  I wonder if I should have ordered 230's to use with Clays.  My Lyman manual has the max below major PF but the Hodgdon site said I can go up to 4.9 gr (its for a SWC) and that would make it easy.

I use N320 for 9mm and have quite a bit of that on hand.  I also have 15-20 pounds of Power Pistol.  I know that will make major easy,  but be flashy and louder with a more pronounced recoil impulse.  One of my goals is to use up some of my other propellants like Clays or Power Pistol.

It seems like a lot of folks are using 200 grain bullets.  Any load recommendations to make major on these 185's coming in?  As usual, thanks in advance!

Edited by 12glocks

You can make major with Clays and a 185 JHP.  Just be careful.  Clays gets really spikey at the top end.  I'd use the N320 for major and Clays for minor or your 50 yard bullseye load.

Also, older Clays (Australian) is hotter than current Clays (Canada) - so, as other have mentioned, just work up you loads.  With older Australian Clays, 3.5g under a LSW 185 is a popular Bullesye load.