Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory plated 9mm for Open

zzt

I'm finishing up a 1911 compensated 9mm (TruBore barrel) for Steel Challenge.  I don't want to reload 9mm just yet, so I'm looking for factory new or remanufactured minor ammo that works well in compensated pistols.  I have no objection to JHPs, but some clubs do not permit them for steel.  So I'm interested in plated that works.  If you shoot plated in a compensated gun, please make a recommendation.

I was going to order Blazer brass 115s, but found out in time that the bullet used in the brass cases had a very light plating and should not be used in ported or compensated barrels.  Blaser says to use the Al cased ammo, because that bullet has heavier plating.  So now I'm wondering about some of the other plated ammo out there.

Depends on how fast you're planning on pushing the bullets   ???

If you're loading to PF135- 145, you shouldn't have much trouble

with any of them.

Most factory rounds are c. PF 130 or so - any plated bullets should

be just fine.

If you're going to push them to PF 165+, then you want to get

a little picky    :) 

I'm in the same boat as you I  have used 115,124 Blazer brass , 115 perfecta ,115  Fiocchi and several others. I have many thousands of rounds in  open Glock with a Caver comp on it and a few thousand rounds through a STI trubor  and have not seen any problems. For me I find the perfecta or Fiochhi does work a little better than the Blazer.

Edited by jackntucson

I'm not sure about factory loaded ammo, because I load my own.  But, this may be interesting and worth looking into.  Rocky mMountain Reloading has plated  bullets that are rated up to 1500fps.  So with that said maybe some of the factory loadings could have some "better" plated bullets.  Most plated  bullets I've seen suggest 1200fps or less.  

Fiochi, Sellier and Bellot, Aguila and Magtech were the four brands that I  got positive responses back from for 

being safe to use in ported or compensated barrels. American Eagle did as well, but they are more expensive and I see no difference in accuracy/clean burn etc using AE over the other brands I mentioned.

Brands to stay away from that' I've heard back from so far

Blazer (although I do shoot Blazer brass 124gr through my ported 9L quite a bit, but I do see shreds on my support arm when I do and it gets the ports really black)

Lawman, Arsmcor, and Federal Premium

I prefer Rainier Ballistics plated bullets for Open Major.  X-Treme is second choice.  I've shot Berry's in my Limited guns, but not for Open.  However, Berry's says that all of there plated bullets are suitable for compensated gun, and the thick plate is good for 1500fps.

So here is what I've found by searching, plus calling and asking.

I knew Freedom Munitions uses X-Treme bullet, so that was always an option.  In addition LAX ammo uses X-Tremes in their reman and new ammo.  Detroit Bullet, AGB Arms and Minuteman Munitions all use Berry's plated bullets in their ammo.  So I have a lot of choices that will work with a comp.  I plan to try them all.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by zzt