Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P Magwell

Gomar83

I'm looking at buying a magwell for my M&P 1.0. I'm shooting limited and am looking at SSS ESP and the SSS Limited magwell. I'm not sure which route to go. I'm looking for pros and cons of magwell and mounting system. Info would be appreciated, or if there is something better out there.

Edited by Gomar83
Thought of more to add

I've got the ESP in brass, would've gotten steel but OoS everywhere at the time.

Not going to lie aesthetics played a part, the Limited is just about comically huge, especially on a 4.25 gun. ESP opening is plenty large IMO, I think in brass it only weighs half as much though.

Mounts to the gun rock solid. Can't use stock baseplates without modification. I have Springer standard cap., and TTI extensions.

j7El0tq.jpg?14r4JGuk.jpg?1

Edited by Beef15

If you're shooting Limited, go with the largest magwell you can get (bigger is always better :D) I have both the ESP and Limited SSS magwells, the Limited works better on the M&P (IMO) I'm now shooting an STI Open gun and the magwell is even bigger. I'm not concerned with how something looks, just how it works. I haven't used the Carver, but I've used other Carver products and expect the magwell would be good quality like all the other stuff he makes. The SSS magwells are rock solid (if installed correctly).

ESP Magwell (Medium).jpg

31415 1.JPG

SSS well 3.JPG

go gun 2.JPG

I've got the ESP in brass, would've gotten steel but OoS everywhere at the time.
Not going to lie aesthetics played a part, the Limited is just about comically huge, especially on a 4.25 gun. ESP opening is plenty large IMO, I think in brass it only weighs half as much though.
Mounts to the gun rock solid. Can't use stock baseplates without modification. I have Springer standard cap., and TTI extensions.

j7El0tq.jpg?14r4JGuk.jpg?1

I agree with you with the aesthetics and it is plenty big. I can't see needing a foot wide hole to reload any faster then with the esp....lol

13 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

Bkreutz: did you have to do any blending of the gun to match up to the SSS Limited magwell.

I don't know if I had to blend the inside of the grip to match the magwells, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. ;) (both the ESP and Limited magwells had a noticeable ledge visible, a little work with a file on the plastic was all it took), it's a STI Trubor.

7 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

Cool. I was noticing in the carver it seems to have a noticeable ledge on the sides. I'm not sure if a magazine would hit it or if it just looks worse then it really is.

I haven't noticed the lip interfering with the mag loading, but this is my first magwell.  When practice loading the magazines, they hit the angled sides and go straight into the mag hole.

Maybe someone will comment that has tried both SSS and Carver.

Edited by ramnj

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

I had seen that also. I believe Springer Precisin is makes them for Speed Shooter Specialities. I'm still on the fence and still leaning towards a Limited magwell. 

I belive you are correct. And I think that either way you go you'll be happy with it. 

I have the SSS ESP magwell as well. It works great, blends well, not too big, not too little.

If you check their website it looks like they have recently changed the design with a updated version and offer different colors. 
I completely agree....works perfect, I didn't see the need for the limited.

2 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

Such good products from a great company. The only thing holding me back is I would like handle a gun/guns with these magwells installed to see how differently they feel.

I think that both with allow you to have fast reloads and a high grip on the gun. But I do think the limited would be a tad too big for my liking and would get in the way on a reload. The ESP magwell with 140 sticks gives you a lot of room and doesn't get in the way. 

I too like the ESP size. Its just right. NEVER did a mag change on the clock and thought "If only my magwell were bigger". Ive had other pistols with bigger magwells and the difference in size has never been an issue regarding the smaller ESP. Its a non issue.