Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTF - slide wasn't closing fully

roklock

OK, shot area 8 yesterday and had several times (10-20) where the slide didn't fully close, round did chamber but slide stopped 1/16-1/8 before closing.  Have not had this issue during any practice or monthly match.  I even went the extra mile and plunk testing 600 rounds into my barrel (I never do for practice or monthly matches) and all went in and came out great.

Where do I start looking from here?  Mags springs starting to fail? Recoil spring, currently use 8 pound variable.

Edited by roklock

2 hours ago, roklock said:

OK, shot area 8 yesterday and had several times (10-20) where the slide didn't fully close, round did chamber but slide stopped 1/16-1/8 before closing.  Have not had this issue during any practice or monthly match.  I even went the extra mile and plunk testing 600 rounds into my barrel (I never do for practice or monthly matches) and all went in and came out great.

Where do I start looking from here?  Mags springs starting to fail? Recoil spring, currently use 8 pound variable.

How many rounds on the current recoil spring?

Sounds like time to put a new recoil spring in.

My two Akai limited gun will gun on 11lbs springs

As soon as I get a FTF I put a new spring in.

Actually now  just put a new one in every case of bullets (2500 rounds) cheap insurance

15 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Sounds like time to put a new recoil spring in.

My two Akai limited gun will gun on 11lbs springs

As soon as I get a FTF I put a new spring in.

Actually now  just put a new one in every case of bullets (2500 rounds) cheap insurance

Thanks, I will give this a try...if this doesn't work I will try the next one size up.

2 hours ago, Steelix said:

If you change from a #8 to a #9 spring the gun may dip, when the slide closes . Or you may get ejection problems. Just something to watch for. I would just try new spring first. 

Yes, I plan to to do that.  Going to go try your other suggestion too on seeing if the slide binds on anything.

OK, with guide rod and recoil spring removed there is drag but it appears to just be the hammer dragging on the slide.  If the ejector is bent it isn't obvious, at least to my eyes.

The recoil spring is roughly two coils shorter than a new one...put a new one in, will have to see if I get this in practice this week.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:52 PM, roklock said:

Right around 4,000 rounds...

Interesting. I find great variance on Wolff 9 lb springs I run in my Trubor. I have used some springs where I got upwards of 6000 rounds and other just 2500. My shooting buddies want me to switch to ISMI. Might try these. But I have similar indications as yours when my springs get weak. Hope this helps.

Edited by 191138sc
Misspelling

6 hours ago, 191138sc said:

Interesting. I find great variance on Wolff 9 lb springs I run in my Trubor. I have used some springs where I got upwards of 6000 rounds and other just 2500. My shooting buddies want me to switch to ISMI. Might try these. But I have similar indications as yours when my springs get weak. Hope this helps.

This makes me feel better, will find out this weekend.