Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear protection

Ladyvalea

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of the custom-molded plugs as well. Went to a hearing aid shot where they tool a mold. Within about 5 days, I had my custom plugs back for $180. Definitely pricey, but they work so much better than anything else I have tried, including Decibulz and Radians (I have both, neither attenuate enough). The little foam plugs are OK, but the custom plugs definitely work better and are far more comfortable.

I also have a pair of Walker's Silencer electronic ear plugs that I took in to the same hearing aid shop, and for another $180 ? I had them make custom plugs for these as well. They don't attenuate quite as well as the regular custom-molded plugs, but they are pretty close.

The regular plugs are fine when I am out training on my own, but at a match, I hate them because I can't hear anyone talking to me! The Walker's paired with the custom molds are the key there. They work much better than I expected them too honestly. On their own (without the custom plugs), they just don't attenuate enough, but with the custom-molded plugs, they are really great.

So basically, for $360, I have two solutions: a standard pair of custom-molded plugs that block out everything, and a set of molded plugs that incorporate my Walker's Silencers. Best of both worlds.

I can't stand the ear muffs due to discomfort after hours at a match. They get hot and sweaty, and they press against my eye protection and are just not very comfortable, especially in the hot, humid months.

Sometimes I will double bag when it is my turn to shoot, but just keep plugs in when I am not at the line or on the COF.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 7:55 PM, Bkreutz said:

Contact your health insurance company, mine paid for electronic hearing protection for my wife and myself.

I know this is an old post, but did you have to do something special or was this covered by your regular policy?

Contact house of hearing in Utah, they know how to word it correctly. They also quote the insurance company a retail price, the insurance pays a percentage of that and HoH (House of Hearing) charges the customer their normal "shooters" price to you which is less than what the insurance paid. I ended up with nothing out of pocket and a bunch of credit at HoH which will cover batteries and filters probably for the rest of my life. (they have ear wax filters that have to be changed regularly depending on how well you clean your ears)  houseofhearing@mac.com

Edited by Bkreutz

15 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

Contact house of hearing in Utah, they know how to word it correctly. They also quote the insurance company a retail price, the insurance pays a percentage of that and HoH (House of Hearing) charges the customer their normal "shooters" price to you which is less than what the insurance paid. I ended up with nothing out of pocket and a bunch of credit at HoH which will cover batteries and filters probably for the rest of my life. (they have ear wax filters that have to be changed regularly depending on how well you clean your ears)  houseofhearing@mac.com

So going this route, did they bill your insurance company directly or did your insurance company issue you a check and then you pade HoH?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 8:56 AM, Bkreutz said:

makes me think about driving from Montana to Utah.  I'd have to research some local hearing places to see if they have billed insurance companies.

• 1 month later...

I also recommend House of Hearing - they have outstanding service!  

I shot for 4 years with silicone molded plugs.  They were great, except when I started RO'ing more - then I would have to pop one loose to hear conversation and scoring could be a challenge. As an RO - I would also double up when I was running an open shooter with a comp.  I'd use my molded plugs and a set of muffs. 

I just got my electronic ones from House of Hearing - but - haven't gotten to try them out yet this year - people say they are great

Good luck

Dean

For those of you with the custom fit $100+ plugs, do they actually block more decibels than a good pair of disposable foamies, or are they just more comfortable?   I checked the different custom ones you folks have recommended, but their decibel reduction ratings are all right at or even below a good set of foamies.  However, I also know a lot of that may just be marketing BS (on both sides), so I'd like to know what y'all think.

I couldn't care less about fit, and am more interested in outright decibel reduction.  I am getting into 3 gun, and holy mother of pearl is my rifle loud with that comp on there.  I've been doubling up with the best foamies (forget the brand, but I think they are 32 DB NRR) and the highest decibel reducing over ears I could find (37 DB NRR "Silent Sound"), but it is still loud enough that I know I'm causing some hearing damage, and my ears are already screwed up enough.  I understand it's important to hear range calls, and when not shooting I can hear them just fine, even with doubled up protection (while actively shooting I don't think I would hear anyone except the RO standing behind me, but that's enough to be safe).  I'd much rather have better "lifetime" hearing than be able to hear everyone talking... and anyway, if I want to hear better, I can always just pull off the over ears and temporarily deal with less NRR.

I also ride a loud as hell Ducati (hey, it came that way from the previous owner, but, I'm also not changing it back, haha), and would love to have something that gives me better NRR than just some foamies...but those custom ones don't seem to have the same rating!

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Uncdav said:
On 8/24/2017 at 12:28 AM, edison said:

I saw stand at an area4 match. The guy had syringes laid out.

What!!?? 

Not for veins.

Think of them more as applicators, for the gooey material that will be mixed with a hardener to become the soft, molded ear plugs.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, Doublehelix said:

I have a pair of the custom-molded plugs as well. Went to a hearing aid shot where they tool a mold. Within about 5 days, I had my custom plugs back for $180. Definitely pricey, but they work so much better than anything else I have tried, including Decibulz and Radians (I have both, neither attenuate enough). The little foam plugs are OK, but the custom plugs definitely work better and are far more comfortable.

I also have a pair of Walker's Silencer electronic ear plugs that I took in to the same hearing aid shop, and for another $180 ? I had them make custom plugs for these as well. They don't attenuate quite as well as the regular custom-molded plugs, but they are pretty close.

The regular plugs are fine when I am out training on my own, but at a match, I hate them because I can't hear anyone talking to me! The Walker's paired with the custom molds are the key there. They work much better than I expected them too honestly. On their own (without the custom plugs), they just don't attenuate enough, but with the custom-molded plugs, they are really great.

So basically, for $360, I have two solutions: a standard pair of custom-molded plugs that block out everything, and a set of molded plugs that incorporate my Walker's Silencers. Best of both worlds.

I can't stand the ear muffs due to discomfort after hours at a match. They get hot and sweaty, and they press against my eye protection and are just not very comfortable, especially in the hot, humid months.

Sometimes I will double bag when it is my turn to shoot, but just keep plugs in when I am not at the line or on the COF.

My custom molded plugs no longer afford me the proper hearing protection.  Not sure why that is or how this would happen.If my ears changed or if the molded plugs changed.

Edited by Boomstick303

makes me think about driving from Montana to Utah.  I'd have to research some local hearing places to see if they have billed insurance companies.

Chris from HoH is at many major matches throughout Area 1 and 2...try to catch him there.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge fan of Peltor Tactical bluetooth, with the gel pad upgrade, and rechargeable battery upgrade. Can be found on Amazon on sale regularly, and makes wearing sunglasses with the gel ear pads, more enjoyable for a 6-8hr match

Recommend new shooters use ear plugs and electronic ear muffs. This will preserve their hearing so that they will be able to hear the complete range of frequencies clearly when they are older. Ask a certified audiologist what is best.

• 1 year later...

PremEar is good stuff.  Scott (the owner) comes to matches around the Area 6 shooting area.  He (they) can mold your ear plugs in your ears in about 20 minutes and can finish them up for you in an hour or so!  Good Stuff!!  

• 1 year later...