Jump to content

Ear protection


Ladyvalea
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know some of you wear the custom ear pro when shooting matches. My question is, where did you get them? I don't like the muffs in the summer due to the Texas heat! Any help is great! Thanks

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are two ways to do the custom ear protection. The first and most common is the molded plugs that are done while you wait or purchased from a store and do them yourself. 

 

The second and in my opinion the best way is to get a mold done of your ears and then send this off to a company to make custom plugs using these molds. Plugs made this way are generally smaller and are more flexible which helps to create a good seal and also makes them more comfortable. They are expensive but worth the extra cost in my opinion.

 

I got got mine done at https://earinc.com/ you can send them your molds (done locally) and they will make your custom plugs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll because I used to be young and very stupid.  I did some shooting withOUT ear pro, and now I'm 28 and have paid the price for many years already.  Like I said , I'm 28 and I now have to wear hearing aids. With that said, my ear Dr. makes custom plugs that are phenomenal.  I would assume you can probably get the same material and do it yourself at home.  Either way, ALWAYS ..... ALWAYS wear ear protection!!!! 

Edited by Balwolley
Auto correct
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Two DIY options I’ve used that work well:

The Raidans are great for us minor shooters, or for shooters looking for the most comfortable option for long term wear - they turn out pretty compact.

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SdA0zb2Q4TVQG

 

These work even better. Really good NRR, almost don’t feel the need to double plug near Open Guns unless you’re ROing or shooting.

 

Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs, 31dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Hearing Protection for Shooting, Travel, Swimming, Work and Concerts (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WIXL6IM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_JeRwcpOMTrut1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, BritinUSA said:

There are two ways to do the custom ear protection. The first and most common is the molded plugs that are done while you wait or purchased from a store and do them yourself. 

 

The second and in my opinion the best way is to get a mold done of your ears and then send this off to a company to make custom plugs using these molds. Plugs made this way are generally smaller and are more flexible which helps to create a good seal and also makes them more comfortable. They are expensive but worth the extra cost in my opinion.

 

I got got mine done at https://earinc.com/ you can send them your molds (done locally) and they will make your custom plugs. 

I am in this process right now.  Had a professional hearing doc make molds & send them off.  Going in tomorrow to check the fit & hopefully walk out with them.  Cost just under $200.  Not cheap but hoping to stop damage already done from getting worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 10:14 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Two DIY options I’ve used that work well:

The Raidans are great for us minor shooters, or for shooters looking for the most comfortable option for long term wear - they turn out pretty compact.

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SdA0zb2Q4TVQG

 

These work even better. Really good NRR, almost don’t feel the need to double plug near Open Guns unless you’re ROing or shooting.

 

Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs, 31dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Hearing Protection for Shooting, Travel, Swimming, Work and Concerts (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WIXL6IM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_JeRwcpOMTrut1

I'm gonna try those.  

 

After a 6hr match, the muffs start hurting my ears.  Plus, the summer heat is rough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2017 at 7:03 PM, CTJer said:

I'm gonna try those.  

 

After a 6hr match, the muffs start hurting my ears.  Plus, the summer heat is rough.  

 

Uhhh...it's the end of October.  Or are you living "Down Under"?  LOL!  :P :roflol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2017 at 7:14 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Two DIY options I’ve used that work well:

The Raidans are great for us minor shooters, or for shooters looking for the most comfortable option for long term wear - they turn out pretty compact.

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SdA0zb2Q4TVQG

 

These work even better. Really good NRR, almost don’t feel the need to double plug near Open Guns unless you’re ROing or shooting.

 

Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs, 31dB Highest NRR, Comfortable Hearing Protection for Shooting, Travel, Swimming, Work and Concerts (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WIXL6IM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_JeRwcpOMTrut1

 

+1 on the Decibullz.

 

Much more comfortable than muffs out in the AZ heat. 

 

Just don't leave them in your car or on a hot table/bench/etc.  They'll turn into goo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'd love a pair of custom plugs, but seriously, the little orange memory foam plugs you get at home depot work really well, and are like <$1/pair.  As a bonus, if you wear the orange plugs, non-salomon shoes, and a plain t-shirt instead of a tech shirt with logos all over it,  then people will make no assumptions about your skill level when you step up to the line!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I'd love a pair of custom plugs, but seriously, the little orange memory foam plugs you get at home depot work really well, and are like <$1/pair.  As a bonus, if you wear the orange plugs, non-salomon shoes, and a plain t-shirt instead of a tech shirt with logos all over it,  then people will make no assumptions about your skill level when you step up to the line!  

??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...