Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited mag components to get 22+ .40?

762rocstarr

I can start with 21+1 using the new sti tubes, grams guts, and tti 4g2 pads. They reload effortlessly with 20, 21 will seat but is super tight. They are TIGHT in the gauge, but legal. I dont think 22 is going to happen with a legal mag.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Lazr111 said:

I can start with 21+1 using the new sti tubes, grams guts, and tti 4g2 pads. They reload effortlessly with 20, 21 will seat but is super tight. They are TIGHT in the gauge, but legal. I dont think 22 is going to happen with a legal mag.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I'm same with mbx.

I've seen a limited shooter start a stage with 23 in the gun at Area 3 and another at Minnesota section. Those were both mag gauge at chrono matches. I've got one mag formula that I believe will work, i wanted to see what other results with different mag/component combos people were seeing. I can't get 21 in my mbx's, but i can get 20 reloadable no problem. 

CR Speed/Rescomp tube with TTI/Bolen spring&follower and TTI/Bolen or maybe even a Grams basepad. I have one. Its about 95% reliable. Seldom does it really save me anything; maybe even never...

I have a second tube and setup if someone else wants to give it a try.

Rescomp tube with Dawson SNL basepad , 3.75 mm milled from the spring recess. Old style Bolen 11 coil spring with the original Bolen follower. Holds 22 rds and is reliable. Have six setup with this combo, maybe use once a match. Only worth the expense if you are shooting major matches.

Not sure you can still buy the Rescomp tubes in the US. 

I have shot a crap ton of matches all over the country and there was only 1 stage where a 22+1 was an actual advantage. The stage was a 24 round ultra hoser stage with a 17+ Hit Factor. In that instance it was actually better to shoot 23 rounds and eat a miss on the last target, verses waste the stage time to perform a reload. The winning stage Hit Factor was 17+ WITH eating a miss.

This was the ONLY stage that I have seen in all my travels where a 22+1 was an actual advantage verses 21+1 or lower capacity magazines. I think that many would consider this type of stage as being an extreme outlier verses what we are normally facing in matches.

Can 22+1 magazines be created with much expense and wasted time? Absolutely. But is all of that brain damage and wallet plundering really worth it? I would say no.

I agree with Cha-Lee.  Doesn't seem worth it. One malf with that mag would also turn me off to the idea. 

That at being said, I heard the Pres say that he had a couple that would hold 22. Old STI tubes (not the new old), but didn't ask the guts. He said those tubes were notorious for not dropping free. Which also sounds like a bad idea. 

I shot with El Prez at the Minnesota sectionals, and watched him use one of those mags on a stage where it was very beneficial. I thought it was pretty cool to have at least 1 specialty mag for stages where it will make a difference. Sidenote: I really enjoyed shooting with Mike and learned a ton.

If you can find SV mags, that is a good thing.  I have several that are reloadable at 21 and 22 for the first mags.   Talk with Taran he did several of my mags to increase capacity.

Aircooler and pmiles did modifications on the grooves with old STI mags to increase their capacity.  Ping them.

Hello: A Para mag in a Para can get you 22. An old SVI mag of the right type with the correct guts will get you 22. Rescomp mag with the correct guts will also get you 22. A special old STI mag will also get you 22. Roll sizing your brass in a Case pro helps. Thanks, Eric

On 8/22/2017 at 10:38 PM, 762rocstarr said:

I've seen a limited shooter start a stage with 23 in the gun at Area 3 and another at Minnesota section. Those were both mag gauge at chrono matches. I've got one mag formula that I believe will work, i wanted to see what other results with different mag/component combos people were seeing. I can't get 21 in my mbx's, but i can get 20 reloadable no problem. 

I can get 21 in 3 of my MBX.  Not 22 though and not reloadable.  I love the reliability of MBX... if I could buy a mag that would hold 22 at legal length and were reliable I would.  I shot a TN sectional a few years back that had 2 stages where that would have been awesome. A guy in our squad had 2 mags that came with his gun from Brazos that held 22 but he thought it was just a fluke.