Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

feedback please

JeremiahD

I've not bothered posting a request for feedback on a vid yet as I have identified plenty of low hanging goals on my own.  

I wanted to post a stage I felt pretty good about and see what others more knowledgeable than I have to say about where I can improve.

(Unfortunately this is the only stage from this match I got on tape, and its not a great view but...)

I am a mid-C first year competitor, still realizing how much I have to learn.  I have a thick skin and am looking for feedback to apply to dryfire and practice.

I appreciate any feedback you have to offer, I do appreciate your time and expertise.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5qCNf6Yn9axWmhCdEpPaU1BX3c

13 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Iff those were all solid hits, it looked very good to me for a C - level SS shooter.

Little hesitation at each group - could have kept moving for some of those shots, too.

But, very nice run   :) 

They were good hits, 25A 2B 5C.  

Thanks for the input. I do need to keep moving, especially on close in stuff and open targets. Any idea how to eliminate that hesitation? I cant tell if its me trying to pick up the sights or doublechecking the sight picture or what. its almost like a split sec of  "are you sure..?" right after I transition each time

Your start position looked somewhat awkward, but if that's comfortable and natural role on

get your gun as soon as you start not when you get where you are going. Doing so would have allowed you to shoot at least the first target coming In.

lower you center of gravity so you can shoot those close easy targets on the move.

this sport is all about saving time when you can.

32 minutes ago, Foxj66 said:

Your start position looked somewhat awkward, but if that's comfortable and natural role on

get your gun as soon as you start not when you get where you are going. Doing so would have allowed you to shoot at least the first target coming In.

lower you center of gravity so you can shoot those close easy targets on the move.

this sport is all about saving time when you can.

Thank you.

The start position works... sort of. Its mostly from a consistency standpoint to index my hands at the same location for the draw.  Movement is where I need to put alot of effort in (as you can see) and I've not really done much experimenting with a start position that allows me to move. My draw seems to work better for my with elbows back a bit, but the whole arrangement looks weird from this angle. I've not really found anything to do with my feet other than point them in the direction I want to go, stage permitting. Any suggestion in regards to fixing/tuning start position is appreciated.

Now that you pointed out where I drew.. yikes.  Duly noted.

2 hours ago, JeremiahD said:

Thank you.

The start position works... sort of. Its mostly from a consistency standpoint to index my hands at the same location for the draw.  Movement is where I need to put alot of effort in (as you can see) and I've not really done much experimenting with a start position that allows me to move. My draw seems to work better for my with elbows back a bit, but the whole arrangement looks weird from this angle. I've not really found anything to do with my feet other than point them in the direction I want to go, stage permitting. Any suggestion in regards to fixing/tuning start position is appreciated.

Now that you pointed out where I drew.. yikes.  Duly noted.

I put my feet how ever feels comfortable to go how I need. Be explosive

do you dry fire movement?

17 hours ago, Foxj66 said:

I put my feet how ever feels comfortable to go how I need. Be explosive

do you dry fire movement?

I do, but only started recently.  I jumped in to this sport "wrong" and assuming alot, so after being humbled by the 'new guy bad accuracy phase', I had to go back and focus on the basics of shooting as applies to this for awhile.  I've only really been putting effort into moving during DF recently.

I'm also fighting the technique I have used for long distance running for years: long strides, upright form, mid foot landing, etc. staying low and blasting around on my toes still seems counterintuitive to me

40 minutes ago, JeremiahD said:

I do, but only started recently.  I jumped in to this sport "wrong" and assuming alot, so after being humbled by the 'new guy bad accuracy phase', I had to go back and focus on the basics of shooting as applies to this for awhile.  I've only really been putting effort into moving during DF recently.

I'm also fighting the technique I have used for long distance running for years: long strides, upright form, mid foot landing, etc. staying low and blasting around on my toes still seems counterintuitive to me

I have the same issue, it takes a lot of work for me to move half as well as people that naturally get it. It's still my biggest focus in training. 

While speed matters it's all about being efficient