Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stopping muzzle flip/bounce

Shrek1

I need help controlling the recoil, I get alot off bouncing before I can a second or shot off. How I fix this and what some drills I can use to engrain the correct grip?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I disagree with Joker.  Get a high grip, yes, but use your shoulders to apply pressure into the bore of the gun.  The elbows will flair out a little as opposed to inwards towards the ground.  Pointing your elbows towards the ground is going to create a hinge for more moment.   Depending on what type of pistol your shooting it should not move a whole lot.  Grip the gun really hard with your support hand.  

All of this can be worked out quickly in dry fire.  If you have a good index from draw currently then just work on gripping the gun hard and I find that applying pressure into the bore by rolling the shoulders a bit makes for a stable platform.  The gun should return to your point of aim in a very short period of time, tenths of a second.  If your gun is bouncing around you are too loose in your upper body.  Fighters stance , knees slightly bent ready for action, weight with a forward bias.  Sounds like you may be standing up too straight or even leaning back.   Post some video.

Lock your support hand wrist.  Rotate your support hand away from you towards the ground until it won't go any further.  That is locking your wrist.

Setup a target about 5m away.  Put up a dot (3" or so).  Fire a round and mess with your grip until your grip tension makes the gun come back down to the same spot while minimizing the amount of muzzle rise.  Then move the distance back after you are satisfied.

How about use the search function on this Forum. This exact topic has been discussed at least 9802342809834234898 times.............

Or is this thread simply an effort to bump your post count to 50 so you can sell something in the Classified section?

• 3 weeks later...

Minimizing bounce is a technique that will help, but while working towards that goal you should first master having your gun return to the same position after each shot. The bounce doesn't slow shooters down as much as searching for the sights, realigning, and then firing the second shot.

Once you know that the sights will come back to your first point of aim, it's easier to adjust the speed.

Minimizing bounce is a technique that will help, but while working towards that goal you should first master having your gun return to the same position after each shot. The bounce doesn't slow shooters down as much as searching for the sights, realigning, and then firing the second shot.

Once you know that the sights will come back to your first point of aim, it's easier to adjust the speed.
This has been my goal, and have been slowly gain better control. Los of practice ahead of me

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 9/12/2017 at 10:25 PM, CrashDodson said:

Having the sights return to target is 10% stance and 90% gripping the piss out of the gun. 

LOL.

If not 95 % piss squeezing grip !

After about a half dozen changes and tweaks,  I'm fairly happy with the current grip.  Squeezing hard is important, but also getting the hand position to provide more leverage was also important (and took all the tweaks to get).

In this endeavor, video is your friend.  Side view of the gun with a background that shows relative motion. 

On 9/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, IsaacB said:

This. It is much more important that the gun return to poa. Grip is really important but grip strength can only be improved so far and there are plenty of good shooters that span the spectrum of grip strength.  If you know the gun will return to the same spot, you just wait for it. It doesn't really take that long. I think Brian and/or Ben Stoeger also make this point.

4 hours ago, lgh said:

Grip is really important but grip strength can only be improved so far and there are plenty of good shooters that span the spectrum of grip strength.  If you know the gun will return to the same spot, you just wait for it. It doesn't really take that long.

This is why I had to give up on "gripping the piss" out of the gun. I have tendinitis in both wrists. I still shoot lim major, but I simply can't grip the gun hard enough to keep the sights down. But I can still hold my own if the sights come back to where they were.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay total noob here... Just did my first Idpa shoot a week ago.  Grip is key.  Lots of vids out there about technique.  However, I am finding what I shoot at it, and how I shoot at it is making a huge difference.  

Paper Targets - That is all I was shooting for a while.  My whole shooting life revolved around trying to get all the bullets to hit the little red dot in the middle.  Double taps were a nightmare.  Accuracy sucked.   Then I tried steel.............

Steel Targets - Oh my, a whole new world of shooting.  All of a sudden I was figuring out that all I needed to do was get my focus on the front sight as soon as possible, and as long as there was metal in the background I could let it rip.  I call this the opposite of paper shooting.  But, then I did my first IDPA event and well....while steel helped a lot, my accuracy sucked. Enter the IDPA target..........

IDPA Target or something similar - This is my first weekend practicing with these.  It is kind of a little bit of paper target, mixed in with steel.  While I do not require pinpoint accuracy, I needed a lot more than when shooting steel.  Especially when going for the head.  Plus, it is less static because I shoot to the body, then to the head, or I walk toward it, or I have one close and one farther away.  All of a sudden I started to realize that I needed to trust my hands and the fact that the gun is going back to the same place it started.  

Now I have a whole lot of things to figure out, but the point I am trying to make is that shooting at different types of targets seem to make quite a difference for me.  I am also learning that I have to shoot paper, steel and the IDPA type targets because they are all teaching me different things.  The paper is teaching me accuracy, the steel teaches front site pickup, and the IDPA target seems to blend the two.  

Most importantly, I am having a ball doing it all.  :)  I could be totally wrong with everything I just wrote, but seems to be helping me quite a bit.  

Pete 

Pete 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I took a class at TPC in Utah, and they taught a grip that involved getting the most palm on the support hand that you can on the back of the gun, the cranking the elbows up a bit to achieve a "nut-cracker" effect on the gun. This helped me a ton get fast follow ups that are on target. I know I am not explaining it well - if you can, get some training with good teachers. Mastering the basics is not sexy, but man it helps !

The Original poster really didn't care about the question and was just trying to bump his post count to sell something. Now we have a necro thread revival by a couple more people trying to do the same post count bump process. 100% wasted time for anyone thinking this is a valid discussion. 

42 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

The Original poster really didn't care about the question and was just trying to bump his post count to sell something. Now we have a necro thread revival by a couple more people trying to do the same post count bump process. 100% wasted time for anyone thinking this is a valid discussion. 

hahahah🤣🤣