Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope help

Paul-the new guy

Remington 700 5R stainless. EGW 20 moa rail. Seekins low rings. Vortex Razor HD gen 2, 3-18. Scope was bought used. I got it all put together and with the elevation all the way down to the stop I am still 6" or more high. Is it possible that I really ran out of adjustment because of the 20moa rail?

My bro in law bought a savage .308, I talked him into a Burris XTR and 20 MOA base and his results were EXACTLY what you're describing.  I swapped him for a 0 MOA base and solved the problem.  There was no zero stop installed on his scope. 

there is no way you will ever need a 20 moa base for a 308.     the only way to make proper use of a + base is with a 30mm tube or bigger.  I use Farrell bases for my savages, standard for my 110FP in 308 and 20MOA in my F class 6.5-284

I would think just the opposite. If you are using a 308 at longer distances you will for sure need to have a longer reach or range in your scope because it will drop more than a 6.5 or some other 1k round. The 20moa base will let you set zero up near the top of the scope turrent range, letting you have more room to dial for the drops when stretching its legs...I used a 20moa base on a 308 for longer range for 2-3 years before going to a 6.5...it shouldn't be the OPs problem.

Edited by RiggerJJ

I had an issue with my Vortex scope gave Vortex a call and they had me send it back to them.  They had it fixed and back to me within two weeks.  I would give them a call.

Edited by S&W686

On 8/20/2017 at 11:55 PM, JohnRodriguez said:

there is no way you will ever need a 20 moa base for a 308.     the only way to make proper use of a + base is with a 30mm tube or bigger.  I use Farrell bases for my savages, standard for my 110FP in 308 and 20MOA in my F class 6.5-284

If he's running a razor gen2 I believe those are all 34mm.  Also with the .308's I've messed with, most of them with a 0moa base maxed out around 6-800 yards depending on ammo. But none of them would go beyond 800 yards or so. Maybe I misunderstood the OP or what you were saying, I'm not arguing , just sharing my experiences. 

On 8/19/2017 at 4:53 PM, Paul-the new guy said:

Remington 700 5R stainless. EGW 20 moa rail. Seekins low rings. Vortex Razor HD gen 2, 3-18. Scope was bought used. I got it all put together and with the elevation all the way down to the stop I am still 6" or more high. Is it possible that I really ran out of adjustment because of the 20moa rail?

While I've never used the optic you have, Vortex website says it should have plenty of elevation adjustment:  http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor-hd-gen-2-3-18x50-riflescope-with-ebr-2c-moa-reticle

You say it's impacting 6" high...at what distance?

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't have the manual and it was indeed the zero stop.  I am dead on at 100 now and I need to get a good load worked up and then stretch this sucker out a little. This rifle with this scope and my Rugged surge is HEAVY.  I really wanted it to be a dual purpose type of rifle that I could hunt with and maybe shoot a little PRS but it seems too heavy to carry 

You can't go wrong starting with the Sierra 175 MK and a dose of varget or IMR4064.  I prefer varget in my loads, gives me good velocity and varget is very temp stable. I can send you my load info if you're interested.  It has poked a hole in a coyote at 913 yds :D

• 1 month later...

Its a two edged sword Paul. The heavy rifle weighs more so it gives you less recoil force and its more stable when shooting in very windy conditions.

However its tough to carry for any length of time.

When shooting stand "Awful hand" position its better to have a heavier rifle especially if the wind starts blowing.