Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar15 - Can I Use This In 3-gun?

tank69

Rock River Deal

Entry_Tactical.jpg

If I throw an optical sight on this, can I use it in the tactical class? I can get it for $865 shipped to my FFL. Does a telescoping stock or any of the other "tactical" items make it non-compliant? From the rules, it looks fine to me. Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to this rifle?

Thanks,

Tank

You would be perfectly legit in Tactical.

It's arguable if there is any disadvantages to the rifle. But I don't see any advantages over a typical tactical rifle set-up.

It's very light. If you shoot at a club that doesn't have many 100+ yard shots, the gun's lightness is desireable. Of course this is very subjective. Personally I've grown to like a heavier rifle as an all-around Tactical class rifle.

The flash hider isn't a good idea. You need to add a compensator.

Not a deal-breaker but the 16" gas system is more violent. A 20" will be "softer" shooting.

It already has a "match" trigger so that's a plus. Only catch that I see is that it is a two-stage and not really a "name brand" trigger.

IMHO it's a decent rifle. But not ideal.

Rock River Deal

Entry_Tactical.jpg

If I throw an optical sight on this, can I use it in the tactical class? 

Get one without that silly 'ubertactical' mount, any optic sight on top would be too high.

If this is going to be your 3-gun rifle, spent the $ on a rifle built for the purpose (see other topics around here regarding rifles built for 3 gunning) & you won't regret it. Otherwise just buy it and shoot and not worry about the advantages/disadvantages.

If you decided you don't like that RRA two-stage trigger, let me know and we might work something out! Most of them I've seen are pretty fair triggers and I wouldn't mind giving one a go on my DCM rifle.

As for the carbine itself, if you're going to be shooting inside of 200 I'd say go for it. I built an M4 for that exact reason. If, however, you're intent on going on towards Fort Mudge, I'd agree with the other posters and build myself something that's going to do you right on down the road. Consider things such as gas system length, bbl. length and twist. You could always get started with this RRA and then work up!

If you are only shooting short range courses (<100 yards) with lots of CQB and full size targets, it should work fine.

If, on the other hand, you see plate racks at 200+m, flash targets or hard cover, I would go for a more all-around rifle. 18" to 20" rifle, medium contour, 1.5-5x scope, and plain float tube fore-end will do everything.

If you want it light too, short pencil thin barrel - use a carbon fore-end and lower/buttstock to shave weight without losing the steadiness and repeat shot speed.

Billski

I love mine. I have had it for a few months and it shoots great. The trigger is excellent and the gun is accurate. I run an EOtech on a Larue mount and freefloated it with a Larue rail. If you are using it only for competition you would probably want to build a dedicated gun but if it is to serve as an all round carbine I think it is a great choice.

-David

I love mine.  I have had it for a few months and it shoots great.  The trigger is excellent and the gun is accurate.  I run an EOtech on a Larue mount and freefloated it with a Larue rail.  If you are using it only for competition you would probably want to build a dedicated gun but if it is to serve as an all round carbine I think it is a great choice.

-David

Thanks for all the great info everyone!!! This would be an "all-around" gun, I don't plan on competing more than a few times a year locally. If I get serious about the three-gun, i'll build/buy a competition gun.

DCTAG - Could you email me a pic of your AR and a link to the products you have mentioned? I too would like to put an EOtech on mine and rails, just haven't found pic of what it would look like.

I think i'll be ordering after I get this posted! :)

Tank

I am looking at the same gun. Only diff is I want it for some open division shooting. I have an old late 80 moel shorty that I love to play with. The accuracy in it is really bad. So I am looking to go to something new. It looks like a really good deal.

Mike

Agreed with Benny on that one. The trigger, a free float handguard and a real good muzzle brake are the real important parts in 3 gun if the barrel shoots good enough. Everything else is just furniture and sights ;-)