Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

327 Yoke (or crane) and barrel nut

10mmdave

Hello folks, looking for a source or contact so I can get a spare to fit a super cylinder to my 327

Thanks for any help your can give.

I did try S&W, in the 15 seconds the guy talked to me it was "no way, have to send it in"

54 minutes ago, 10mmdave said:

Hello folks, looking for a source or contact so I can get a spare to fit a super cylinder to my 327

Thanks for any help your can give.

I did try S&W, in the 15 seconds the guy talked to me it was "no way, have to send it in"

Dave -  I've had MUCH better luck finding small parts on Ebay or Gunbroker.

So you are wanting a 38 super cylinder, crane, barrel and nut? Any 327 or 627 crane should fit, maybe any N frame crane. The nut would be easy enough to make if you can't find one. Barrel could be made from a blank. A 38 super cylinder can be made from a .357 one.

Thanks all for the replies.

Already have the 38 super cylinder, bought a couple from S&W a couple months ago.

I tried a 627 yoke and it stood proud of the frame by quite a bit, surprised me.

I want another 327 yoke so I can return the gun back to a 38/357 since I will have to

shorten the crane(?) that the cylinder spins on.

Did this mod already to a 627 and it worked out pretty well, it's my new steel challenge open revo.

And I need a new barrel nut since in my haste I buggered up the spanner slots in the nut.

Is there a website I can go to to get current part no's so maybe I can call for parts directly ?

Edited by 10mmdave

5 minutes ago, 10mmdave said:

Thanks all for the replies.

Already have the 38 super cylinder, bought a couple from S&W a couple months ago.

I tried a 627 yoke and it stood proud of the frame by quite a bit, surprised me.

I want another 327 yoke so I can return the gun back to a 38/357 since I will have to

shorten the crane(?) that the cylinder spins on.

Did this mod already to a 627 and it worked out pretty well, it's my new steel challenge open revo.

And I need a new barrel nut since in my haste I buggered up the spanner slots in the nut.

Is there a website I can go to to get current part no's so maybe I can call for parts directly ?

Hey Dave, hope all is well.

I recently went through trying to find a replacement crane for a 627 dealing with a bent one on one of my frames. It's pretty much impossible to find a new style yoke , Smith will not sell you one, and the ones on eBay are old and rusty.

If it's really nessasary I'd just get the fun looking stockish and send it in to Smith.

Personally I just swapped barrels out on that frame with the screwy yoke to make it a dedicated steel challenge gun. 

Alec

13 hours ago, alecmc said:

Hey Dave, hope all is well.

I recently went through trying to find a replacement crane for a 627 dealing with a bent one on one of my frames. It's pretty much impossible to find a new style yoke , Smith will not sell you one, and the ones on eBay are old and rusty.

If it's really nessasary I'd just get the fun looking stockish and send it in to Smith.

Personally I just swapped barrels out on that frame with the screwy yoke to make it a dedicated steel challenge gun. 

Alec

Whats a "fun looking stockish" ??

I like the weight of the 327, it's easier on my shoulder for drawing.

Maybe I'll just trade the 327 for a 929, I'd be more likely to commit to the swap on that platform.

Edited by 10mmdave

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

HI Dave- If you can't source a nut anywhere else, I can make you one. I would need the current nut and barrel to copy the dimensions and make sure the threads fit properly.

I may take you up on that Toolguy, I have a milling machine & a lathe but I am in no way a machinist.

I can make a lot of chips though !  and burn up a lot of bits !

Edited by 10mmdave

20 minutes ago, 10mmdave said:

Whats a "fun looking stock ??

I like the weight of the 327, it's easier on my shoulder for drawing.

Maybe I'll just trade the 327 for a 929, I'd be more likely to commit to the swap on that platform.

*gun 

On 8/17/2017 at 9:04 PM, MWP said:

Are you saying you want to fit the 627-4 38 super cylinder to a 327 frame? The black, unfluted one? 

Yup, like this on a previous 5" 38spcl/357 627.

Yes it looks rough but all my comp guns do, shoots good so far, still working on loads,

no biggie, still a month or so b4 the match :wacko:

20170821_112905-1 (3).jpg

On 8/17/2017 at 9:04 PM, MWP said:

Are you saying you want to fit the 627-4 38 super cylinder to a 327 frame? The black, unfluted one? 

Yes, the pic I posted is one of my old 627 8 shots with a 38 super unfluted cylinder, the barrel is setback

and the crane (yoke?) cut shorter by around .050-.100 (don't know the exact dimension)

Really wish I didn't have to shorten the crane since now I can't go back and re-barrel and put the old cylinder in.

But then again the barrel shown is now a short cylinder only proposition so I guess it stays like this.

So what the heck is it, a yoke.... a crane....or both ?

18 hours ago, revoman said:

All you do is extend the forcing come on the barrel. post-6853-0-68026000-1355094824_thumb.jpg

Oh no I know how it works, I was just under the impression the OP wants to be able to go back and forth between cylinders. 

Edited by MWP