Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Such thing as too heavy gun?

Weever82

Hey guys,

Well... I have did two matches and I'm hooked. It is a very humbling experience to say the least. haha.

Anyways, looking at upgrading from a "plastic" gun to all steel. Question is, is there such thing as too heavy??

Some of the steel guns tip the scales at 46oz where I believe my Glock is like 26... They seem super heavy when I hold them.

Thoughts?

Weev-

You need a balance that suits you.

- My little plastic gun starts and stops quickly, moving from target to target.

- My heavier guns give more stability and absorb some of the recoil of their heavier ammunition.

Edited by perttime

To summarize every answer to every question I've seen in USPSA so far: 1) consult the rulebook  2) more dryfire  ;) 

According to the appendix in the rulebook, there's a 43oz limit in singlestack for example.  The rulebook should tell you the weight limits and anything else you need to know for each division.  https://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

That said, theres a subjective difference in weight and performance "feel".  I shot a commander length 1911 just fine, and when I finally bought a proper 1911, the extra half pound seemed like I was trying to move a '74 Cadillac on transitions.  spending the last month dryfiring basics with that gun, and now it feels almost normal.  Any new gun will need to be "relearned" I suspect. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Used to be a guy (Bruce Piatt, I think?) who shot a  6 lb  .38 revolver

(not in USPSA) - Bianchi Cup, I believe    :) 

Well now I feel like a wuss... hahaha

2 hours ago, JeremiahD said:

To summarize every answer to every question I've seen in USPSA so far: 1) consult the rulebook  2) more dryfire  ;) 

According to the appendix in the rulebook, there's a 43oz limit in singlestack for example.  The rulebook should tell you the weight limits and anything else you need to know for each division.  https://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

That said, theres a subjective difference in weight and performance "feel".  I shot a commander length 1911 just fine, and when I finally bought a proper 1911, the extra half pound seemed like I was trying to move a '74 Cadillac on transitions.  spending the last month dryfiring basics with that gun, and now it feels almost normal.  Any new gun will need to be "relearned" I suspect. 

Thats a great way to view it. They feel so heavy and "slow" but your right... Time and relearning

2 hours ago, htomeheb said:

I dryfire with ankle weights on my wrists. Makes everything feel real light at a match.

Interesting.  Do you find yourself overtransitioning without the weights, or are you still able to snap right to target during matches? 

the transition is driven by your eyes. if your eyes are there first you won't over drive the gun. whipping the gun around ahead of your eyes and thhhheeennn getting it where you want is doing it wrong.

how much muscle you take to do that in the speed you want is something different. a heavy gun is only 3# and it's also out at the end of a pendulum ie your arms.

a gun is only too heavy if you can't manipulate it or hold it properly.

Within reason, I don't think you are going to have any disadvantage with a heavier gun unless it just doesn't match your preference. The Stock 3 I use is about the heaviest you can get in Production, and I came from using a G34. My transitions are limited by my vision, not the gun's movement.

46 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I'm so used to shooting my 49oz Czechmate, my Shadow feels like a toy.

haha thats awesome. I actually ordered a Shadow 2. 46 oz, it felt great in the hand though.

• 8 months later...
On 8/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, Weever82 said:

Hey guys,

Well... I have did two matches and I'm hooked. It is a very humbling experience to say the least. haha.

Anyways, looking at upgrading from a "plastic" gun to all steel. Question is, is there such thing as too heavy??

Some of the steel guns tip the scales at 46oz where I believe my Glock is like 26... They seem super heavy when I hold them.

Thoughts?

Weev-

HELL NO. I shoot with a CZ Shadow 2 and its AMAZING

On 8/14/2017 at 10:09 PM, rowdyb said:

the transition is driven by your eyes. if your eyes are there first you won't over drive the gun. whipping the gun around ahead of your eyes and thhhheeennn getting it where you want is doing it wrong.

This right here is one of the first things I learned form this forum: eyes....hands...target...trigger!!

• 2 months later...

It's all personal preference I believe. In my Glock 34 I added more weight and in my STI Edge I left it stock and kind of wish it was a hair lighter. You'll have to practice with what you have and see how it works.

Heavier is less felt recoil.

Lighter is quicker transitions.

At least for me. 

I personally like a fairly light steel gun and heavy uspsa gun.  Steel Challenge has so many transitions that a heavy gun will slow you down.  We are talking thousands of seconds between winner and loser in steel, so those small saving on transitions with a light gun count.  In USPSA, shooting major (or just midegating minor recoil) you want a sturdy gun.  I'm not saying to build a super heavy gun, I'm just saying that I don't want a toy.  I shot a super light bidell open gun and then switched to an Akai open gun.  I don't see a differnece in transition speed, but I do see a lot less recoil with the gun.  Part of that is from the akai engineering, and part is the weight.