Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550C and 650 changes

I'm a bit confused about what changes were made on the 550B to turn it into a 550C and when this was done. Also, I understand that the 650 was treated to the same changes but there was no model name change. How do I tell if my 650 has this upgrade? I heard it's not practical to up update because it's some sort of frame change.

Per Dillon, "The upper link arm pivot pins are now threaded in place, and have a grease groove around the pin that connects with a lube hole on the end of the pin. Use a needle fitting on a grease gun to lubricate the upper pivot pins now."

I'm guessing the 650 if upgraded would have the same greasable pins but I am not familiar with that one.

No major design changes have been made to the XL650. The 650 has always had a different style of upper pivot pin from the 550 series. A zerk fitting was added to the 650 upper and lower pivot pins several years ago. The pin design is unchanged otherwise, as it already had a spiral grease groove, and threaded ends for nylock retaining nuts.

Not sure of the exact date but they changed the frame on both of them.  They now have a truss look to them.

You would have to run an FEA on the two designs to see any difference though.  I'd also bet a nickel they did before the change.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by jmorris