Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which style mags for PCC? Glock or Colt?

my reload with a standard length Glock pistol mag is a lot quicker than with a 33 round Colt stick mag, and doesn't need special mag pouch...easier for me to load cartridges in my Glock 33 rounders with a TF 41 extension than with my Metalform Colt mags... the blue steel mags rust (I accidentally placed a sweaty wrist band on them in the gun bag)... I don't have a LRBHO in my Glock based PCC so don't have to worry about breaking the bolt catch like I did with my SBR and mag block....the front angle of my NFA lower is slanted at the same angle as needed to insert the mag and I use it as a visual reference

Colt stick looks cooler, especially if you grew up watching "Combat" on TV as a kid

I had  QC10 glock lower, and I sold it to another local shooter looking to get into PCC so I could buy the QC10 Colt lower.  I bought it mostly to mimic my AR as a cheaper to shoot training gun, and allowed me to shoot at steel closer than I felt comfortable with .223 rounds.  I like how they insert at 90 degrees as opposed to angled forward.  One is not better or worse, just personal preference and I like the 90 degree better.  I also wanted a BHO, so that was easier to make work with the colt mags.  I have the mag-lula for the colt mags, and it works very well and makes loading mags, even the last few rounds, very easy to do.  I also have a longer buffer, so breaking the bolt catch is less of an issue for me.

Another consideration for me, as a lefty, was the ability to use a standard drop-in ambi mag release like the Troy or Forward Controld Design.  It took a minute to swap, and required no modification to the lower.  When shooting classifiers in PCC, many times the mag change is what kills you time-wise.  The ability to use my left index finger to remove the old mag while going for the new mag with my right hand, instead of taking the mag out and getting the new one with my right hand has saved me time on standing reloads that you do in many classifiers.

Some feel the Colt is inherently more reliable because of the feed ramp the Glock style does not have, unless you cut up your upper and add the Taccom one. I currently have both styles, and the only real difference is the added ambi mag release on the PSA Colt lower (I'm left handed). Both have been reliable once de-bugged. Colt/Metalform mags from PSA are half the price of Glock mags, in big sticks. Sometimes 1/3 the price, when they are on sale for $12. Bmiller just made me a magwell for my dedicated Colt style, and Taccom makes an inexpensive one for most other lowers. Unless you're left handed, I'd take either one.

1 hour ago, nate89 said:

I had  QC10 glock lower, and I sold it to another local shooter looking to get into PCC so I could buy the QC10 Colt lower.  I bought it mostly to mimic my AR as a cheaper to shoot training gun, and allowed me to shoot at steel closer than I felt comfortable with .223 rounds.  I like how they insert at 90 degrees as opposed to angled forward.  One is not better or worse, just personal preference and I like the 90 degree better.  I also wanted a BHO, so that was easier to make work with the colt mags.  I have the mag-lula for the colt mags, and it works very well and makes loading mags, even the last few rounds, very easy to do.  I also have a longer buffer, so breaking the bolt catch is less of an issue for me.

Another consideration for me, as a lefty, was the ability to use a standard drop-in ambi mag release like the Troy or Forward Controld Design.  It took a minute to swap, and required no modification to the lower.  When shooting classifiers in PCC, many times the mag change is what kills you time-wise.  The ability to use my left index finger to remove the old mag while going for the new mag with my right hand, instead of taking the mag out and getting the new one with my right hand has saved me time on standing reloads that you do in many classifiers.

You may have just sold it to me...lefty with rifle as well

Hello: I would say Colt mags if you are a lefty and are used to regular AR15 reloads. Glock mags if you have a Glock or lots of Glock mags. Is one better than the other I don't think so if you practice with each. Whatever way you decide to go get a good quality lower to start with and a great trigger. Makes your PCC a real joy to shoot. Thanks, Eric

You may have just sold it to me...lefty with rifle as well

I think your classifier times will thank you. Best of luck on the build, and post pictures when you get it finished!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

I use Uzi/ Colt mags. The fit in mag pouches made for STI. I use double alpha or CR speed for mine. I went with this mag setup because that's what the builder recommended. He has been building guns longer than most have been alive so I figured he might know a little.  I also like the reload angle better on the colt platform. 

Mike

One advantage I've found with the Glock style mags is that I can use Magpul clones.  I have a 17-round Magpul that I use for classifier reloads.  The plastic is much slicker than the Glock rubberized coating so it goes in faster and more reliably.

Andy, If you want to try my PSA AR-9 just let me know and we can meet at GTR.

56 minutes ago, XD Niner said:

One advantage I've found with the Glock style mags is that I can use Magpul clones.  I have a 17-round Magpul that I use for classifier reloads.  The plastic is much slicker than the Glock rubberized coating so it goes in faster and more reliably.

Andy, If you want to try my PSA AR-9 just let me know and we can meet at GTR.

Hello: I am using the Magpul 21 round Glock 17 magazines for reloads and classifiers. No base pad needed and they are slick. One thing with the magpul mags are that they are very lightweight. I have some Magpul 17 round mags coming with some Zev Magpul base pads. I will try those for classifiers which require reloads. I may try some Glock 19 mags as well for going prone or steel challenge. Nothing drops faster than the Colt style mags, but they hurt if you drop them on your foot with no shoe on. Thanks, Eric

I use the ASC Colt style mags from Gun Mag Warehouse which IMHO is the only place to buy any type of mag. I have had zero feed issues in competitions or otherwise plus they are relatively inexpensive. For those of you that like to do 80% lowers SMF Tactical has a 9mm gun in a box, cut the receiver, assemble and away you go.