Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650 SL 900 Primer stop switch

Hi guys.

I finished up the rotocam follower in December, makes things a lot nicer, and now I added the one I really wanted, but didn't have the wherewithall to do until recently. 

The primer stop switch.

Just offered on ebay.

Only one on earth, brand new... and busting my tail to fill orders.

Just search "Dillon Primer Stop..."

It will come up.

But there again, I have to plug slide guide.

I bought a single tube of this stuff, and it is amazing.

If you haven't got any, get some.

My applications are in production machining.

I am still amazed at what it did for me, and three years out of a single tube... crazy.

It has another 5 years in it.

Edited by snowshooze
bad typing.

I am merely a dumb Machinist.

" Snowshooze, you make great stuff. But have you been drinking? That was like reading one, run-on sentence. "

Is that what ya meant?

Ya know, I graduated third grade.

Then, I went to work full-time.

Edited by snowshooze

• 8 months later...
22 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Can you elaborate? 

The bearing on the cam I purchased is too large in diameter. It causes timing issues seating primers quickly.

22 hours ago, 858 said:

The bearing on the cam I purchased is too large in diameter. It causes timing issues seating primers quickly.

Meant to quote this for my above... cant seem to edit correctly.

34 minutes ago, rjacobs said:

Did you purchase one from the OP Snowshooze? 

I just got one from him and it runs like a champ, zero issues.

Actually no. The unit I purchased has a 16mm OD bearing. The bearing diameter is too large so the press either blunts directly in the center top of the bearing or the shell plate indexes too late (crushing primers). I'm not sure of the bearing size Snowshoes but if it's the same it's going to have the same problem.

5 hours ago, 858 said:

Actually no. The unit I purchased has a 16mm OD bearing. The bearing diameter is too large so the press either blunts directly in the center top of the bearing or the shell plate indexes too late (crushing primers). I'm not sure of the bearing size Snowshoes but if it's the same it's going to have the same problem.

since you didnt buy one from the OP, you probably shouldnt bash his product in his thread... just a thought......

22 minutes ago, rjacobs said:

since you didnt buy one from the OP, you probably shouldnt bash his product in his thread... just a thought......

What's the diameter of the Roto Cam bearing you have?

The problem with that diameter bearing is the shell plate is still rotating when the primer begins pressing upward. Depending on the primers and cartridge you use, the primer hits the case before the case stops. Maybe it's less of an issue with 9mm? With 40 and CCI I was crushing primers. There is no way to correct the timing without a smaller bearing or a modified Dillon wedge.

The OP's bearing mount has slotted holes with plenty of adjustment.

Mine is perfectly in time.

Again, since you dont own the OP's product, you probably shouldnt talk bad about it.

Edited by rjacobs

I run all his bearing kits on my Dillons.  Plus I have just about every option he sells as for me, time is more valuable than money.  

I have run into problems with his kits, however they were all solved watching YouTube videos and every time the problem was me adjusting it wrong.

I also use the Dillon alignment tool every time I do a caliber change whether it needs it or not.

Calling someone out when it is admitted the product was never used or purchased is not fair nor is it ethical.  

He is a free thinker with impressive ingenuity that has a lot of copycats reproducing his ideas and products.  

‘To blame him for a poorly executed copy of his design is low and totally uncalled for.  

On 5/5/2018 at 7:54 AM, 858 said:

The problem with that diameter bearing is the shell plate is still rotating when the primer begins pressing upward. Depending on the primers and cartridge you use, the primer hits the case before the case stops. Maybe it's less of an issue with 9mm? With 40 and CCI I was crushing primers. There is no way to correct the timing without a smaller bearing or a modified Dillon wedge.

When I first install a roto cam bearing I too had timing issues, then, after smacking my head, I noticed I didn’t have it properly adjusted. 

I just purchased the Primer Stop switch for my 650, why didn’t someone think of this before!

Also just installed a Mark 7 drive on the 650, what a thing of beauty! Smooth, accuracy of powder drops and bullet seating depth improved immensely. Not to mention my shoulder and hand hurt a whole lot less. 

Edited by HesedTech

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

When I first install a roto cam bearing I too had timing issues, then, after smacking my head, I noticed I didn’t have it properly adjusted. 

I just purchased the Primer Stop switch for my 650, why didn’t someone think of this before!

Also just installed a Mark 7 drive on the 650, what a thing of beauty! Smooth, accuracy of powder drops and bullet seating depth improved immensely. Not to mention my shoulder and hand hurt a whole lot less. 

I pulled the top off my press two days ago, reset, and lubed the shell plate. I had previously bent the ejector wire to clear up sticking 9mm cases. The ejector wire was pressing down on the shell plate slowing down its movement. It looked as though it was changing timing with the bearing because it did not do it with the Dillon part. I was incorrect and apologize to Snowshooze. 

The primer switch is a must have, it makes hand feeding in primed brass for load development much easier.

I have purchased the Rotocam Actuator, Roller Cam Follower, The top Bearing and The Primer Stop Switch from Snowshooze.  Great products.  I have never had a issue with any of his stuff.  Even his shipping is fast from Alaska.  

My favorite is the Primer stop Switch!

I was one of the first to order the primer stop switch from snowshoe. when I installed it I was having issues and it wouldn't work properly. I contacted him and the problem was resolved by loosening the two screws on the primer assembly and adjusting the whole assembly so it would clear the part on the frame that advances the primer.
After it was all said and done snowshoe sent me a new revision of the part at no cost! If your having issues, he'll make it right. Wouldn't hesitate to ever order from him!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk