Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3 Gun Shooter Suggestions?

rbuck

lots of benelli M2's at my local matches (and i have one that's been perfect all year since i got it in january); browning a5 is a hit also.  before you buy, attend a 3 gun match or two or three and ask ???.  most will let you fondle their guns and most will also let you shoot them.  ditto for shell caddies and the like, look & try before you buy.

• 4 months later...

I also am running a jm pro and love it. No issues at all to date. I added some aftermarket parts and had her cerakoted for the looks of it but she has been flawless. Here recently I went through and “upgraded” all my 3 gun gear to try and get more serious about competing so i ordered a Hayes custom m2. While looking i strongly considered buying a m3k done up by moa. Do a google search and check them out. They look like a great “bang for your buck”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So rbuck, what did you end up with?

i looked at a Winchester x2, (used) and the JM pro too, they are in the same price range as my new M3K. 

The beretta and benelli are too pricey right now.

I get to shoot my M3K tomorrow...

Taccom +5 keeps almost even with the 24" barrel.

20171211_184113_2.jpg

Personally I have a Franchi Affinity! About a grand you can have a fully tricked out shotgun that shoots just like a Benelli M2! They are made by Benelli and almost all Benelli parts fit in them so the after market stuff that fits Benelli m2s work with the Franchi!

• 1 month later...

You will end up with a Benelli, save cash in the long run and start with one of those.

Im a huge Beretta fan, shot thousands in sporting clays.  I got a 1301 when I started.   Ended up selling it within 4 months and went to a Benelli M-2.  The 1301 had a tendency to double feed into the loading port, the kind where you have reach thru the port and shove one back in the tube to continue.   I shaved the long mag release button down to a circle, and that eliminated some of that problem.  

Franchi Affinity. Is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. Made by Benelli not much more than Stoeger. But better quality. To me it's the real budget king. Nothing wrong with the Stoeger but if you compare them side by side the difference is noticable. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 7:06 PM, Mushki25 said:

No harm in adding a tube to the one you already have and trying it out for a few matches before diving in.  You can most likely sell it once you've upgraded for only a slight loss.

+1 on this. I shot my first couple matches with an old Remington 1100 I had in the safe. Put a tube on it and modified the loading gate. The mods were less than $150 and when I decided I really like 3 gun I went with the Winchester SX3, it’s the FN design and runs great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a JM Pro, M3K, and now use a 1301.  Below is a brief summary with MY experiences regarding each.  YMMV.  Since I've started the shooting sports, I've learned that you get what you pay for, but things become exponentially more expensive at a certain point(IE, does an Atlas shoot 2.5x better than an STI Edge as the price tag would indicate?  Probably not).  Somewhere there is a sweet spot where you get a good, reliable gun that can do 90-95% of what the super expensive ones can do.  You should shoot for that area if your wallet will allow and buy once/cry once.

JM Pro - I understand these can be good, but you shouldn't assume it will from the factory.  If your handy with that sort of thing, there's a lot of information out there on what you can do to get it running more reliably.  Or maybe you'll get lucky and get one that runs out of the box.  Mine didn't and I got rid of it.  A lot of local guys call them JAM Pros, and I see them fail more than anything else at our local matches.  Those are usually the guys who don't put in the work to make them reliable; Other local guys have them running like sewing machines.  I take no pleasure in saying any of that because, despite any personal preferences, I do not like to cut down any company that supports our 2A rights and makes products for those of us who do.  Still, it is the cheapest option and can be reliable either through luck or putting in the work.

M3K - Mine has been excellent, but my wife took it over when she started doing 3gun.  My dad's has been less than reliable and suffers from bolt bounce.  There's a lot of suggestions out there on how to fix this, but nothing definitive.  He's found it frustrating trying to resolve it because he'll try a recommendation, get a hundred rounds through it at our local club without issues, then take it to a match only to have it fail on him again.  He probably just got a lemon because most reviews on this one are pretty good.  Heavier and slightly more recoil than my 1301, 99% reliable but has had the occasional issue or two(a bit pickier with ammo).  For $530 OTD at Cabelas, I can't complain.  I don't think they run quite that cheap anymore though.

1301 - Wasn't looking for one of these, but when my wife took over the M3K, I needed something.  A local guy who intended to get into 3gun but didn't was selling one for $800 with an extension tube already installed back when they were generally running $1K or more, so I grabbed it.  It's light, but also recoils light.  Slugs hit right where they should.  Gas guns generally require a bit more maintenance, but I'll take it to 4 matches or so before cleaning it and haven't had a failure at a match yet, even on rainy days.  The failures I have had were testing low recoil buckshot at my local club before it was broken in; No problems last time I tried the same ammo.  It comes with a slightly shorter stock, which I prefer for 3gun, less likely to snag my shirt when presenting, etc.  After shooting mine, my dad eventually got one and now his M3K lives in the safe.  His has been just as reliable as mine thus far(about 3 or 4 matches).  The fit/finish on these is definitely better than the other two, but that also shows in the price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Depends on your budget. The JM pro and M3K are budget friendly and will get the job done. Do your research on them. I run a JM and, knock on wood, never had an issue. I also clean it well after every other match. I may be switching to an M2 because the lightning lifter looks like a game changer