Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate vs 2011

cheby

On 11/08/2017 at 3:26 AM, kneelingatlas said:

I like to say "anything is po$$ible :roflol:

Seriously though, it's not the cost as much as finding someone with the ability and the willingness.  I've been poking around a little looking for someone to mass produce lightweight CM comps to no avail.

On 11/08/2017 at 7:08 AM, aandabooks said:

Send me some specs for what you are thinking for dimensions and material.  I might be willing to do some work.  

Let us know if these become available 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Czechmate a few years ago as a backup to my 2011 (Brazos) open gun.  That gun is currently getting some work done after 8 years of mostly trouble free use. The Czechmate had been collecting dust but is now seeing use until my 2011 is repaired. The CZ runs well but it is a completely different gun. The grip size and angle is different, the recoil and dot movement is different, mag capacity is fewer and the slide racker is on the wrong (right) side due to clearance issues with the safety. 

But, the CZ was much less expensive than my primary open gun. If I had started with the CZ maybe I would have stayed with it and never gone to a 2011. As a backup gun it works well for me but I am so used to the 2011 design that I will switch back once the 2011 is back from the shop. 

Are the magazine capacities the same?  Is the CZ big stick 170 mm?

One of my friends is trying to convince me to try open with a CZ.  (I currently don't shoot open at all for USPSA.)  I do, however, have an open steel gun, and limited minor gun for 3 gun, so I'm already invested in 2011 based mags, holsters, and accessories.

Seiichi

Looks like most items I had to say have already been discussed but I'll reiterate. 

I also have owned both, I started with a Czechmate and now own a CK.

Issues with the CZ as others have said are less parts availability(main reason I switched), only 9mm(I throated my barrel to run longer), you do still need to tune mags but it is simple, slide stops break. One I didn't see mentioned which I experienced but can't speak for others is I couldn't get a light spring to run reliably. When I say light I'm referring to the 8-9lb range that is so common in the 2011 world. 

There are good aftermarket parts available for the CZ they are just limited and often not in stock.

With my CK I have had the occasional failure to extract/ejector but I chalk this up to it being 9major.  I am about to bore it out to a 38SC to rid myself of that issue. 

As far as how flat they shoot, I couldn't tell a significant difference but I had modified my CZ with people holes and a side port in the comp.

I am fond of the ergonomics on both. I absolutely love the CZ grips and I run a PT evo on my CK. One thing I will say is if you have small hands, the CZ may be an issue. I had a friend borrow my gun one day and he couldn't reach the safety without moving his hand and then re-gripping the pistol. 

Overall I would say if you are already a CZ guy and familiar/comfortable with the grips, you won't be disappointed with the CZ. If you do get the CZ,  replace the extractor spring with a wolf extra power when you get it. 

There is just so many more options for 2011 and that was ultimately why I make the switch. 

On the odd chance your gun does go down, you forgot a mag, etc, etc, it's nice when 90% of the shooters can help you with a spare part, etc. 

Not the case with the CZ. 

Hope I covered it all

4 hours ago, Honkeymcgee said:

One thing I will say is if you have small hands, the CZ may be an issue. I had a friend borrow my gun one day and he couldn't reach the safety without moving his hand and then re-gripping the pistol. 

As I understand, CZC sells some extended safety. Does this solve the issue?

Looks like this one:

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/safeties/cz-tactical-sports-cz-ts-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html

4 minutes ago, cheby said:

Looks like this one:

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/safeties/cz-tactical-sports-cz-ts-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html

Nope, I had that. Just makes it wider. 

He had to roll his hand to reach forward I guess to activate it. I couldn't tell you exactly cause it was an issue for me lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 0:08 PM, cheby said:

Looks like this one:

Actually, I have small hands and had problems with the stock safety on my czechmate where I had to adjust my grip taking the safety off. I got the extended safeties from CZ custom and they totally solved the problem. For me, yes it did solve the problem!

On ‎10‎.‎8‎.‎2017 at 7:31 PM, kneelingatlas said:

I'm almost done with what I'd like to call "the ultimate Czechmate" which is a half inch longer, six ounces lighter, is stroked and sports an aluminum cone version of Jared's CFD comp:

597ae93d3fe56_TSCM2.thumb.jpg.71acf4a82c9f7d2275e74fbeaf05f0c8.jpg597ae9b9032e3_TSCM.thumb.jpg.71e9a49a5cd04b74c2201a2292211b54.jpg

I've shot it the last few matches and really love it!  I plan to drill two 3/16" holes in the barrel, drill a ball detent for the racker, and get it coated.

The CFD aluminium comp. How is it fixed to the barrel? The original CM comp is held in place or stopped from rotating by the guide rod.. what about the CFD? Just glued in place? How do you clean the gun?

12 hours ago, Ludde said:

The CFD aluminium comp. How is it fixed to the barrel? The original CM comp is held in place or stopped from rotating by the guide rod.. what about the CFD? Just glued in place? How do you clean the gun?

It's held to the barrel with Loctite and my friend modified the slide so the barrel pulls out the front like a Tanfoglio or 2011.

9 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

It's held to the barrel with Loctite and my friend modified the slide so the barrel pulls out the front like a Tanfoglio or 2011.

Interesting.. is it possible to get some pics of the slide machining? Is the recoilsystem intact (how is the recoilspring held in place)?

I've always wondered why CZ doesn't do as tanfo and I've assumed that they have a bit different slide profile with more meat allowing it to be hogged out without compromising the strenght of the slide.... but It's just my assumption and that's why I am curios to see how you did it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 2:57 PM, kneelingatlas said:

That would be great!

I'll be back in town this weekend and I'll send you a message.

Just wanted to follow up to see if it's been any development on this...

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that runs a CM in Open. (9mm major) He uses jacketed bullets because he says coated bullets (blues) fouls his comp and it's hard to clean. Anyone running a CM or any other comped gun that is using coated bullets with no issues?

Edited by bemanuel

I have shot both and as was mentioned above, both are good bets for open class. The advantages to each are below:

STI

- Availability of after market parts

- ease of gunsmithing. Outside of machining, everyone can do their own work on one. 

CM

-Reliability, works right out of the box and keeps on working :)  Jams are rare with CM’s

Disadvantages:

STI

-Mag tuning..... WTF?????

-Reliability, especially before one is broken in. This does have mixed results though. 

CM

- Due to better comp designs and poppies of the 2011’s, they have been known to shoot a bit flatter. 

-Weight

14 minutes ago, abb1 said:

STI

-Mag tuning..... WTF?????

Every CMate owner I have known has had to tune their magazines. Some were able to do it themselves, others required sending them to Grams for a more permanent fix. If I were buying one I would skip the heartache of trying to do it myself and just throw the mags at Beven to fix. I don't know how expensive that is, but it is probably worth it just so you don't have to worry about it anymore. 

3 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Every CMate owner I have known has had to tune their magazines. 

I could not find any info on CZ 75 TS mag tuning. All I can find is 2011, MBX, etc. I found one post where a CZ 75 needed to get his feed lips adjusted, but that’s it. Can you please post some verification on this statement? I just want to know as I have 8 mags most from different suppliers and they have all worked right out of the box. No tuning required.  Please post some vids or posts of Czechmate  needing their mags tuned, as I am not doubting you, but I really am curious as five of us shoot CM’ s and never heard of mag tuning for CM’s. 

Edited by abb1

11 minutes ago, abb1 said:

I could not find any info on CZ 75 TS mag tuning. All I can find is 2011, MBX, etc. I found one post where a CZ 75 needed to get his feed lips adjusted, but that’s it. Can you please post some verification on this statement? I just want to know as I have 8 mags most from different suppliers and they have all worked right out of the box. Please post some vids of TS mag tuning as I am not doubting you, but I really am curious as five of us shoot CM’ s and never heard of mag tuning for CM’s. 

I don't know of any videos, but every one I have seen (4, off the top of my head) has required tuning, in the form of extending the ribs farther up towards the feed lips. Some people do this themselves by affixing something to the inside of the tubes to make it narrower, while others have had them fixed permanently by sending them to Grams to have the ribs extended. The TS/CM is built around the 40, and using 9mm in it along with the 140/170 mags leads to feeding issues (specifically related to the part of the magazine where it tapers). 

And while you might have 8 mags from different suppliers, they are all the same since the only company making TS mags is CZ. YMMV.

Yes, my mags are all CZ mags. I am not too sure if there are any after market ones. The only issues I have ever had with my Czechmate mags is when they drop in the dirt. If sand gets in them, they will jam in that the follower gets caught and will not feed up. When shooting outdoors, I always have a mag brush with me to clean them if I have to. Aside from that, they work flawless without any tuning. 

Edited by abb1

On 11/27/2017 at 1:57 PM, bemanuel said:

I have a friend that runs a CM in Open. (9mm major) He uses jacketed bullets because he says coated bullets (blues) fouls his comp and it's hard to clean. Anyone running a CM or any other comped gun that is using coated bullets with no issues?

My buddy with a CM had lots of leading using coated bullets too. Seems to be a thing.