Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC fails and shooter wants to switch to a Pistol to finish match

CHA-LEE

As the title says..... Competitor starts the match shooting PCC and the gun fails mid match. The shooter wants to switch to a Pistol to finish the match. How should this be handed per the rules? If the shooter was initially in a Pistol division and their replacement gun didn't meet the division requirements then they would simply get bumped to Open. But I am not sure if this also applies when switching from PCC to a Pistol.

My assumption is that the shooter could finish shooting the match with a Pistol but would do so with no score since they can't produce a viable PCC replacement. I am leveraging rule 5.1.7 and its sub rules for this assumption. But it clearly does not call out this particular situation with PCC vs Pistol swaps. 

It kinda seems like no score is the answer. They can not shoot a pistol in the PCC division due to equipment rules. Scores prior to the failure are not valid pistol division scores due to equipment limitations in 5.1.10. (and likely others). Shoot for fun and kick yourself in the ass for not having a backup carbine. ;)

See the below rule from the PCC addendum to the handgun rules:

PCC 6.2.5.1 If a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements for PCC 
division during the course of fire, he will shoot for no score.

I think JodiH has the correct answer and rule.

5.1.7 seems to be pretty clear, either replace your "handgun" which I will assume is now "gun" that fits the same division.  I don't see a way to bump to another division due to an equipment change.  The RM isn't going to approve you using a pistol in PCC and if you just switch it's a 10.6

Weird, this just happened at a match I was at. While I don't know the specifics of the options given to the shooter, I know the result was that the shooter paid another match fee, re-entered with a pistol and shot the match.  

I agree with JodiH's assessment 

Edited by Patrick Scott

4 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

Weird, this just happened at a match I was at. While I don't know the specifics of the options given to the shooter, I know the result was that the shooter paid another match fee, re-entered with a pistol and shot the match.  

I agree with JodiH's assessment 

It happened the other way around. The back up to his broken open gun was a pcc.

You could also allow the competitor to abandon his attempt at PCC -- which would allow him to at least see stage scores, and simultaneously allow him to late register for a handgun division, to complete the match for (possibly partial, depending on whether or not there's time to let him shoot completed stages with handgun) score in the handgun division of his choice....

That way, worst case scenario, he gets to compare himself against others in his divisions on stages, while likely not doing well in either match.....

On 8/10/2017 at 2:41 AM, Nik Habicht said:

You could also allow the competitor to abandon his attempt at PCC -- which would allow him to at least see stage scores, and simultaneously allow him to late register for a handgun division, to complete the match for (possibly partial, depending on whether or not there's time to let him shoot completed stages with handgun) score in the handgun division of his choice....

That way, worst case scenario, he gets to compare himself against others in his divisions on stages, while likely not doing well in either match.....

Absolutely not.  At no point should a competitor get to shoot stages (PCC or otherwise), abandon that entry, and then RE-shoot stages already shot for score in another division.   Do as you please to get them through the match and shooting for no score, but unless in the case of a legitimate reshoot, never should someone be allowed to shoot a stage for score that they have already shot whether the first run was for fun, in another division, etc.   

3 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Absolutely not.  At no point should a competitor get to shoot stages (PCC or otherwise), abandon that entry, and then RE-shoot stages already shot for score in another division.   Do as you please to get them through the match and shooting for no score, but unless in the case of a legitimate reshoot, never should someone be allowed to shoot a stage for score that they have already shot whether the first run was for fun, in another division, etc.   

6.2.4.1 Level I matches may allow competitors to enter multiple Divisions for match recognition.

The rules don't agree

Edited by Gooldylocks

4 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

6.2.4.1 Level I matches may allow competitors to enter multiple Divisions for match recognition.

The rules don't agree

Yep. It's certainly a thing here, though if someone wants to do that they need to squad as two people (and have their crap together). Even more of a thing for Super Classifier matches.

29 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

The rules don't agree

Yes, that's the exception but still at the match director's discretion.  I was more voicing my opinion on just letting someone freely re-enter a match in a new division and shoot for score because their equipment broke.  I don't think it should be allowed and it's not even an option at II's and above.

Keep in mind that the first thing I suggested was to let him finish the match in another division.  Realistically, zeroing several stages in both should take the average competitor out of contention.  Letting him see stage scores, would at least provide some info for his entertainment.....

Then -- at a Level 1, you do have the option of letting shoot the entire thing with a handgun.  Really think that a PCC run will help that much wth a handgun run?  OK........